Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are the gyms open for a few weeks or are they closing in January again?
    Open from Dec 1 and how long depends on whether we go to Level 4 & above. Trigger for NPHET seems to be 400 cases a day, for renewed restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

What about workout classes outside the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Note to self - Don't be that guy that does everything on Day one and then is not seen back in the gym for a week due to DOMS. Happened to a friend the last time gyms reopened !!?:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Masks are now mandatory in my gym, everywhere except the cardio machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Raging classes wont be happening but so happy to get back to the gym. It wont last so will be making some home purchase too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ugh. Really hope they don't do that in my gym. Grand gro lads who take two minutes between sets. Not good for me.

Sounds like a unilateral decision. We have a lot of space and strict numbers. Would be very disappointed if they went down that road.

Ugh. Really hope they don't do that in my gym. Grand gro lads who take two minutes between sets. Not good for me.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Sounds like a unilateral decision. We have a lot of space and strict numbers. Would be very disappointed if they went down that road.

The email announcing it mentioned the government announcement on mask wearing in busy indoor places, so it seems to be in line with that.

I've been watching videos of people lifting in American gyms and it seems like most people have been wearing them over there for months.

The email announcing it mentioned the government announcement on mask wearing in busy indoor places, so it seems to be in line with that.

I've been watching videos of people lifting in American gyms and it seems like most people have been wearing them over there for months.
    Yeah, well the US is a really poor example of a country dealing with the virus. No email nor any notification so far but have booked in for sessions as my app is now active again. Indoor mask wearing hasn't actually changed and it's really spaces that already had that requirement in Level 3 - the new thing is outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah, well the US is a really poor example of a country dealing with the virus. No email nor any notification so far but have booked in for sessions as my app is now active again. Indoor mask wearing hasn't actually changed and it's really spaces that already had that requirement in Level 3 - the new thing is outdoors.

Well, the new guidance is that they are "recommended in crowded workplaces, places of worship and in busy or crowded outdoor spaces where there is significant congregation".

However, if numbers are being managed in a gym, then they shouldn't fit into the new guidance

• Advertisement

Well, the new guidance is that they are "recommended in crowded workplaces, places of worship and in busy or crowded outdoor spaces where there is significant congregation".

However, if numbers are being managed in a gym, then they shouldn't fit into the new guidance

I should be ok so. Our gym is booking 90 minute time slots. I can't be dealing with mask wearing after wearing one at work all day.

Yes, but in this context, a greater adherence to masks in gyms is not a good argument against the U.S response to the virus.

I really hope my gym doesnt take the mask route, I have to wear one all day in work. So really dont fancy wearing to work out. However I will if its gym rules

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gyms have been open here for months now and wearing masks has been mandatory the entire time. It's really not that bad. There's leeway given to bring it under your nose but everyone just gets on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

jrosen wrote: »
    I really hope my gym doesnt take the mask route

I think masks should be worn in the common areas such as the reception area and (where possible) while getting changed.

I have noticed a lot of people speaking to the receptionist in my gym without a mask. It is not fair on the receptionist.

JTMan wrote: »
    I think masks should be worn in the common areas such as the reception area and (where possible) while getting changed.

I have noticed a lot of people speaking to the receptionist in my gym without a mask. It is not fair on the receptionist.

We had the changing rooms/showers closed off. It's a big warehouse style gym with all the roller shutter doors open, it may as well be outside it's so cold and breezy. One door in, one door out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Got to Westwood at 7am, car park was full and pretty busy, by the time I was leaving it was quiet though. Nothing much changed apart from some lockers removed. Was nice to be back. I cycled down but traffic is mental out there.

JTMan wrote: »

Agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was a queue to get into the gym at 6am this morning, and the two guys immediately ahead of me in the queue went straight to the two benches which I wanted to be on (one of them anyway), was a punch in the gut that one! :-D

They're asking everyone to wear masks when moving about the place now (weren't before) - don't have to when actually doing stuff, but entering/exiting and moving between stations, which is no bother to me - but I don't superset on different stations so don't have a potential annoyance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

very quiet at lunchtime, bench press wasnt too bad, overhead press gone to shiite , back in the evening to finish off and see what else sucks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Was a queue to get into the gym at 6am this morning, and the two guys immediately ahead of me in the queue went straight to the two benches which I wanted to be on (one of them anyway), was a punch in the gut that one! :-D

They're asking everyone to wear masks when moving about the place now (weren't before) - don't have to when actually doing stuff, but entering/exiting and moving between stations, which is no bother to me - but I don't superset on different stations so don't have a potential annoyance there.

Seems like more of a risk to me taking off a mask and putting it on again after every station. We're told in the hospital to bin it every time. You're just asking to be infected doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Seems like more of a risk to me taking off a mask and putting it on again after every station. We're told in the hospital to bin it every time. You're just asking to be infected doing that.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me neither. We should be doing the same but most of the time to move the station takes like 10 seconds, and you're not washing your hands in between set :confused:

j@utis wrote: »
    Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me neither. We should be doing the same but most of the time to move the station takes like 10 seconds, and you're not washing your hands in between set :confused:

Exactly that, should be sanitizing your hands before and after each station for the mask on/off to work...or at not be dangerous. Personally I'd rather not wear one in the gym, I fiddle with it too much anyway and that's not a good thing touching all sorts of equipment in there, limited numbers and good spacing of equipment would be a better idea. Just going to my gym now for my first session in weeks, will scope it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It is really great to be back in the gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sheep2020

Not much point bining them if they let ye
    eat in canteen, drink water, have a coffee, a sandwich in the hospital

Mask should never come off for even a second onsite in a hospital, virus is airborne

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Flyefit asking people to wear masks entering and leaving. Put it back on to go and ask for a bench but was within the rack all session so no other moving about.

Went back to my gym last night. Same procedure as before. Very limited numbers. 90min slots. No entry without wipes or towel. Sanitizer spray provided. Lots of space between stations.

Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

This might be a bit off topic but I am always amazed at how in the long run everyone seems to revert to the their baseline.

I will see the same 30-40 people at the gym fr the past 5 years and even with the lockdowns, closures etc., the people who were always in amazing shape, still find a way to get it done and return looking amazing. Very motivating to see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

First session back at the gym this morning.
    Strength is still pretty much where it was but my conditioning has fallen away big time.
    I was gassed quick and nearly fit to puke at several stages during EMOM.

Still great to be back and it was quieter than pre lockdown; probably because schools, colleges are back

• Advertisement

Exactly. No change at all in my gym. As you were with numbers and distancing and people really happy to be back!

Advertisement