Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clothing 101- recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

The dhb stuff is very good-the bibs wash well, good pad, fits well-as good as any of the high end brands such as Castelli, Assos, Rapha etc.

Ones to look out for (sales, promos etc) are Enduro Fs260 and also a brand called Chapeau. Chapeau usually have good sales, particularly at Christmas and at the end of the Summer.

Rapha tend to have reasonable sales, but you’d never pay the full price for it-Assos the same, but Cycle Superstore have a huge Assos collection which again, is sometimes on sale.

The 2 best “accessories” to have in the wardrobe in Irish weather (3 if you include good full finger and short gloves!) are a merino neck snood and a good gilet.

As you said, like cameras, there are a multitude of other essentials that you will, as time goes on, convince yourself are, well, essential....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

No such thing as a stupid question but...
    why would one use knee warmers instead of leg warmers? If knee warmers are better in the spring / summer how come you don't see people walking around with three-quarter length pants?
    If it's a little bit cool don't you want your full leg to be warm, not the lower quarter exposed and get slightly chilled?
    Can you take a leg warmers on and off as easily as knee warmers?
    Thanks
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

dinneenp wrote: »
    No such thing as a stupid question but...
    why would one use knee warmers instead of leg warmers? If knee warmers are better in the spring / summer how come you don't see people walking around with three-quarter length pants?
    If it's a little bit cool don't you want your full leg to be warm, not the lower quarter exposed and get slightly chilled?
    Can you take a leg warmers on and off as easily as knee warmers?
    Thanks
    Pa

Only used leg (are they the same?) but can be a pain as they bunch behind your knee ... Legs are usually the warmest part of you as they do all the work, the deep cold can bother peoples knee bones but otherwise legs should be warm enough from March to november. You can buy an intermediate tight that goes down to your calf, threequarters, they mean you don't need separate warmers.
    I have to say some of the stuff suggested here is daft for a basic 101 coming into summer.

Only used leg (are they the same?) but can be a pain as they bunch behind your knee ... Legs are usually the warmest part of you as they do all the work, the deep cold can bother peoples knee bones but otherwise legs should be warm enough from March to november. You can buy an intermediate tight that goes down to your calf, threequarters, they mean you don't need separate warmers.
    I have to say some of the stuff suggested here is daft for a basic 101 coming into summer.

Cheers, makes sense.

"I have to say some of the stuff suggested here is daft for a basic 101 coming into summer."
    I'm greatful for all the replies. I presume some replies weren't focusing on just summertime, like a 'dog isn't just for Xmas', 'cycling clothes aren't just for summer'.

atm I'm looking at knee warmers (I have cycling shorts but they do annoy me as the padding doesn't seem to sit much to my front. Edinburgh Cycles Revolution (their own brand) bought years ago), a jersey.
    After that probably a base layer (currently have Nike dryfit, Puma similar top), short sleeve jersey.

Cheers,
    Pa.

PlanetX.com has a lot of good value stuff. You could pick up a grand pair of bib shorts for 25 sterling. Not as good quality as galibier or dhb but they'll be spot on for a few hours.
    Cyclestore.co.uk also a lot of bargains

Jesus, that Planet X site is extremely cheap! Going to have a good gander throught it tonight.

• Advertisement

AmberGold wrote: »
    Jerseys fine, if you're on the thin side it wont be that fitted.

If you like the style and cut it seems good value.

You could team up with arm warmers or a long sleeved base layer for colder days or wear it under jacket with a base layer for winter riding.

Personally its a rare day in Ireland I can ride in a short sleeve jersey.

So what would you wear out on a not-cold (don't want to say hot as we don't have many of them?...) days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

So what would you wear out on a not-cold (don't want to say hot as we don't have many of them?...) days?
    That’s where items like the packable gilet and arm warmers come in handy.

Particularly if you ride early or late in the day in Ireland, even in Summer, layers that are easily removed and packed are essential.

ckeego wrote: »
    That’s where items like the packable gilet and arm warmers come in handy.

Particularly if you ride early or late in the day in Ireland, even in Summer, layers that are easily removed and packed are essential.

This on the arm warmers. I run hot at the best of times and I would have had a sweat on even today with the breeze but for some reason I have zero tolerance for the cold on my arms between my mid biceps and mid forearms ... go figure :rolleyes:

You can easily roll the arm warmers up and down when needed.

Cheers for all the advice. I ordered
    Arm Warmers
    Knee warmers
    Short sleeve jersey
    Neck smooch yoke
    Base layer
    Socks (buy 3 items, get cheapest free)
    Bottle
    Bottle holder
    Phone holder

Road bike from. Bike to work scheme is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

This thread is probably the best place to ask this so I'll post it here. I noticed wiggle have a 20€ off 100 offer on clothing. Thing is not all there stuff seems to be the best value out there. Anyone bought/seen some clothing on wiggle that's decent value?
    I know there aeron bib shorts are, what else?

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the advice. I ordered
    Arm Warmers
    Knee warmers
    Short sleeve jersey
    Neck smooch yoke
    Base layer
    Socks (buy 3 items, get cheapest free)
    Bottle
    Bottle holder
    Phone holder

Road bike from. Bike to work scheme is next.

Just giving an update on my purchases-
    - Base layer- not sure how tight they're meant to be. Maybe I could have gone 1 size larger or maybe it's just tight around my belly as, like most middle aged men I have a belly...
    Got a cheap one to see what they're like, happy with it.
    - Liking the jersey- having pockets at the rear is handy.
    - Arm warmers- great yokes, I'd never heard of them before. Got a cheap-as-chips pair (in fact I think free in Planet X, buy 3, get cheapest free offer)
    - I had asked re shorts vs. full length- havne't worn my leg warmers yet.

I have an old pair of cycling shorts (Edinburgh Cycles) but find that the padding doesn't pad my bum, which I presume it's meant to. Don't understand why. If I stand up, push the shorts/padding back then they're in place until I move.
    So I'm going to buy a pair of bib shorts, someone recommended dhb Aeron bib shorts, a bit more expensive than the dhb classicv bib shorts but worth the price I presume & also better than these?

- smooch- havne't needed to use yet but it's a decent accessory.

For bike, was looking at Canyon Endurace AL 7.0, Giant Contend SL 1, Specialized Allez Elite.

For a gillet, would any of these be any good, some are wind resistent.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Has anyone ever ordered off Siroko? Looking at getting a pair of cycling glasses on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hi. Interesting thread.....
    Did a bit of cycling 9 or 10 years ago, and doing a little again in recent weeks,and quite enjoying it as a compliment to some roadrunning.
    The World of Equipment is a lot different, not looking to do huge distances, but would like to be comfortable on the backside at the same time!

A question - - - Undershorts ; are they useful? Are they good to wear with a pair of normal casual shorts? Apologies if that's a silly question, but sites are unclear. Do you wear them with padded race shorts??

Any recommendations available for a good pair, would like to wear something like a khaki short with pocket rather than the tight race short at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I wouldn't go for any of those gilets tbh. The fleece ones could get soaked in sweat and the others look much too warm for what you need cycling.

For the bike, the Canyon will be the best spec for the price and is a great bike, but if you are not sure of what you want / need you might be better off going with one of the others as you'll have the support of a shop to go back to if you have any problems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Hi. Interesting thread.....
    Did a bit of cycling 9 or 10 years ago, and doing a little again in recent weeks,and quite enjoying it as a compliment to some roadrunning.
    The World of Equipment is a lot different, not looking to do huge distances, but would like to be comfortable on the backside at the same time!

A question - - - Undershorts ; are they useful? Are they good to wear with a pair of normal casual shorts? Apologies if that's a silly question, but sites are unclear. Do you wear them with padded race shorts??

Any recommendations available for a good pair, would like to wear something like a khaki short with pocket rather than the tight race short at times.

You can get mountain bike shorts that look like combat shorts, but have a built-in tight shorts with pad. Lots of different brands, I have a pair of Boardman's from Halfords, and a pair from Decathlon

[quote="dinneenp;113377847"
    So I'm going to buy a pair of bib shorts, someone recommended dhb Aeron bib shorts, a bit more expensive than the dhb classicv bib shorts but worth the price I presume & also better than these?
    [/quote]

I have dhb aeron absolutely perfect the tribans also have good reviews. Might be worth considering decathlon van rysel or galibier if aeron is at a higher price atm.

Best thing for you to do is join your local club and get yourself kitted out with club gear something that for once isnt usally overpriced.

smacl wrote: »
    Find the DHB aeron range very good at a decent price but always willing to try something different so picked up a pair of Galibier bibs to try them out. Turboing it most days at the moment and find that reverting to regular shorts after using bibs is not nice.

Hi,
    Which do you prefer?
    I'm looking at
    - DHB Classic
    - Triban BIB SHORTS WITH POCKET RC500
    galibier peloton lightweight bib shorts/

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I went for the Galibier Pro 5 Liberté rather than the Galibier Peleton, and also have the DHB classic and DHB aeron. I terms of comfort I reckon the Galibier is the best followed by the aeron and then the classic. That said, I'm rotating between all three and a pair of winter aerons for colder mornings at the moment and they're all very comfortable. I'd go aeron over classic if you're going the DHB route, better quality for the few extra quid. While I'm a long time DHB user I'll probably look to Galibier myself for future purchases if their pricing stays competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

I see bib shorts being suggested mostly. For a person (me) who is cold blooded and want to be in trousers most of the time, what'd you recommend?

A few years ago when i started cycling, i picked up few items (padded trousers, base layer, long sleeve Jersey etc) from Lidl. I always wore padded trouser with saddle gel cover but i been getting friction burns. I think i shouldn't have use the saddle cover?

bbari wrote: »
    I see bib shorts being suggested mostly. For a person (me) who is cold blooded and want to be in trousers most of the time, what'd you recommend?

A few years ago when i started cycling, i picked up few items (padded trousers, base layer, long sleeve Jersey etc) from Lidl. I always wore padded trouser with saddle gel cover but i been getting friction burns. I think i shouldn't have use the saddle cover?

If the bib shorts were from lidl the padding probably wasnt the best on them, so that's why you were getting burns. You can get bib tights but they're not nice if you get to hot and sweaty so maybe just have leg warmers and a gilet you can throw in your pocket if you get to warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

Anyone know what delivery times are like with these sites? The 3 above seem decent on reviews and recommendations here and for no particular reason I like the look of the galiber but would buy one of the others if I thought it would get to me quicker?
    I'm currently doing a road loop on a mountain bike and feeling a little raw at the end of it so the quicker I can get it the better. I've no shops near me to buy one or try on so will have to hope for the best with sizing online. Would I be ok for an XL for a 38 waist?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

.red. wrote: »
    Anyone know what delivery times are like with these sites? The 3 above seem decent on reviews and recommendations here and for no particular reason I like the look of the galiber but would buy one of the others if I thought it would get to me quicker?
    I'm currently doing a road loop on a mountain bike and feeling a little raw at the end of it so the quicker I can get it the better. I've no shops near me to buy one or try on so will have to hope for the best with sizing online. Would I be ok for an XL for a 38 waist?
    Cheers.

I'd be hugely surprised if the Galibier isn't the quickest, drop them an email to check stock, usually two or at the most three days for delivery, they're based up near the border, always had great service.

I'd say XL would be grand, but Galibier will exchange promptly if you need to.

Decathlon are shipping ex Dublin and their service is good in my limited enough experience, my missus just bought some walking gear off them, it came in 3 or 4 days.

Wiggle will be ex UK so likely to be slower

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

smacl wrote: »
    I went for the Galibier Pro 5 Liberté rather than the Galibier Peleton, and also have the DHB classic and DHB aeron.

how would you compare the sizing between Galibier and DHB aeron?
    i have a large DHB aeron bib short that i like a lot, might have to try a Galibier.

Hi again,

Seeing as there's about 1,000 out there any recommendations for a gilet please?
    Budget is expandable but ideally under €50.

Thanks (again),
    Pa.

I'm a big fan of this and wear it at the beginning of rides for large parts of the year - https://galibier.cc/product/aix/?currency=EUR

Not the warmest gilet you will find but packs up nicely and fits in a back pocket

I'm a big fan of this and wear it at the beginning of rides for large parts of the year - https://galibier.cc/product/aix/?currency=EUR

Not the warmest gilet you will find but packs up nicely and fits in a back pocket

Cheers. Galibier get constantly recommended here, might go for that so. I was looking for a light, packable wind jacket and might just go with one from them as well, Ventultra jacket

So it' a bit nippy- I head out in possibly a base layer, jersey, arm warmers & gilet & have wind jacket and leg warmers in back pockets.

When would you use a long sleeve jersey over a gilet and arm warmers- winter? Just a preference thing or if it's cold & not going to change? (I know a long sleeve jersey isn't wind/water proof).
    Cheers,
    Pa.

I use a gilet with arm warmers, summer jersey and sometimes a baselayer for any half decent day (e.g. +10 degrees, not raining). You could probably also use a long sleeve jersey under the gilet too.

For anything much colder I'd use a winter jacket type thing with a baselayer, adding a jersey in between on the coldest days.

Typically you will be coldest starting off and if you dress right, you should even feel cold as you will warm up as you get going. So you should have clothes to feel a bit cold without freezing, plus something like a rain jacket in case the weather changes. I wouldn't often wear leg warmers but if I did, it would always be at the start of a ride, don't think I've ever put them in a pocket to start.

For the extra few euro I'll probably go for their IZOARD QUILTED GILET instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I have the same Gilet and can highly recommend it ... mind you i feel cold when it 30c :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

It's great, but probably too warm this time of year, doesn't pack up as well either.

Advertisement