Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

I present a thesis: **** bike stands encourage **** bike locking

Exhibit A from Ballsbridge last Friday:

BZnOnUB.jpg

Late title proposal:

Floyd's Mennonite Mansion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

buffalo wrote: »
    I present a thesis: **** bike stands encourage **** bike locking

Exhibit A from Ballsbridge last Friday:

https://i.imgur.com/BZnOnUB.jpg
    There's one of those stands at my local Aldi. I've never seen a bike locked to it, people choosing to leave their bikes at the trolley bay instead. It's only about 1m long and I think freestanding, completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The wheelbender racks are just about usable for a quick stop if you have a security skewer on the front wheel. Very few bikes do, and quick stops aren't necessarily what you want a bike rack for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The wheelbender racks are just about usable for a quick stop...

Sometimes they are positioned so badly you can lock the frame nicely by going alongside the tall rack. Granted, this is annoying to other hypothetical users.

The racks where I work are elevated so the wherlbenderdness is even greater. That said, my chain can go through the rack frame and both wheels ensuring a secure bike but probably buckled wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, they're really awful. And, as you say, they usually end up with one bike hogging at least two spots, in order to make the bike reasonably hard to steal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Footpad is running in Punchestown right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

And Footpad wins by a mile!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,777 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is getting way too continental with all this fancy French terminology. I'm going to be a bit rebellious here...

foot, inch, mile, lbs:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Beasty wrote: »
    This thread is getting way too continental with all this fancy French terminology. I'm going to be a bit rebellious here...

Feck off with your backward ways :p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,777 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Feck off with your backward ways :p
    You guys are wearing blinkers - look across the Irish Sea and you can visualise Britain rising again. You'll all be begging to come back into the EmpireCommonwealth post Brexit:pac:

You guys are wearing blinkers - look across the Irish Sea and you can visualise Britain rising again. You'll all be begging to come back into the EmpireCommonwealth post Brexit:pac:

Sure if you love it so much, you know where you can cycle to....Norn Iron :p

Sure if you love it so much, you know where you can cycle to....Norn Iron :p
    Did I ever tell you about my last cycle up North? Think there's a thread about it around here somewhere. Had an accident, don't you know....

Did I ever tell you about my last cycle up North? Think there's a thread about it around here somewhere. Had an accident, don't you know....

Sure you might as well tell everyone for the 751st time. Some people may have forgotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

utterly random aside; last night i learned that the L in lb (for pound) is the same L as in £ (it's just a fancy L)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Spending a few days in westport. Must say I'm loving the bikea sculptures that are put beside each bank of Sheffield stands

utterly random aside; last night i learned that the L in lb (for pound) is the same L as in £ (it's just a fancy L)

Jeez didn't you know? - Lsd = Pounds shillings and pence (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds came later)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

P_1 wrote: »
    Spending a few days in westport. Must say I'm loving the bikea sculptures that are put beside each bank of Sheffield stands

Go to the black truffle. Fantastic food at a great price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Try this, cat owners

https://vimeo.com/220441294

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's actually a thing called bikejoring in which people race each other using dogs tethered to their MTBs. My dog would be a mangled mess within 10 metres of the start.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-41420058/bikejor-the-people-who-race-their-bikes-with-dogs

It's gaining popularity in the UK but it's pretty big in Europe and the US with European and World championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Thud

Alek wrote: »
    Try this, cat owners

mind you wouldn't try it with our cat, would get shredded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Alek wrote: »
    Try this, cat owners

Saw someone doing that with their terrier up around Tibradden last week; dog was loving it!
    The stroll up to Fairy Castle was enough for my old lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Coming home from work yesterday evening I was cutting through a residential street and had to cycle past some teenagers playing football on the road. As I passed by, I saw the lad with the ball taking aim at me out of the corner of my eye and I took the ball full-force to the side of the head. Managed to stay upright and, once the initial surprise had worn off, I couldn't decide if I was angry or really impressed that he managed to hit a moving target with such precision! Somebody needs to sign this kid up immediately! :pac:

Coming home from work yesterday evening I was cutting through a residential street and had to cycle past some teenagers playing football on the road. As I passed by, I saw the lad with the ball taking aim at me out of the corner of my eye and I took the ball full-force to the side of the head. Managed to stay upright and, once the initial surprise had worn off, I couldn't decide if I was angry or really impressed that he managed to hit a moving target with such precision! Somebody needs to sign this kid up immediately! :pac:

He be a one trick pony and that's why he's not signed up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone link their Google Fit and Stava profiles? If so is duplication still an issue?

I've been watching Tour de Romandie on Eurosport this week , much better weather than recent times, last year they had some horrible days. Stunning looking place to ride a bike in and VERY nice looking road surface.

Another place to add to the list of places I'd like to ride my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone link their Google Fit and Stava profiles? If so is duplication still an issue?

My friend did. I pointed the issue out to her a while back. I have not noticed any duplications for a long time since so it may have been addressed. Or she unlinked them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Local Bike Shop is not an acceptable unit of measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Went up the right hand side of the church on Howth Head today.. halfway up my Garmin powered off, I'd stopped it when I got off to pee and never restarted, so on up to the summit, back down to the bottom and back up again. I need to stop being a slave to Strava

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

This morning I was cycling down Leopardstown Road. As I got to Torquay Road there was a pedestrian right ahead of me, and since the cycling and footpath basically merge into one and he/she would be right in my way I gave a quick glance behind me to see that there was no immediate traffic coming along and hopped onto the road.

It's a bit tricky to rejoin the cycle path at that point (and it's an awful cycle path anyway) so I decided to remain on the road until the next traffic light, an entire 140 meters according to Google maps.

Before I quite got there the road traffic just managed to catch up with me, though there was plenty of room for them to go past, and there was a red light at the next junction ahead of us anyway. Nevertheless a truck hooted at me as he passed, and so did the driver of the next car, and when I caught up with them 20 seconds later when they were sitting at said red light he shouted "arsehole" at the top of his voice at me.

Delightful.

Advertisement