Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

From reading the statement, if Leopold König is fit, then there might not be room for a sprinter (Sam) in the final squad. But Sam does have the team's two victories this season to his name so he definitely deserves to go to the TdF.

Sam is riding in the World Ports Classic at the weekend, and then the Bayern Rundfahrt the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

From reading the statement, if Leopold König is fit, then there might not be room for a sprinter (Sam) in the final squad. But Sam does have the team's two victories this season to his name so he definitely deserves to go to the TdF.

No doubting Sams success so far this season but there is a difference between what he deserves and what he is ready for.....as much as Id love to see him at this years tour Im not sure it would be the best decision for him this year .... however in saying that it is Sam we are talking about here. . . exciting times......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    No doubting Sams success so far this season but there is a difference between what he deserves and what he is ready for.....as much as Id love to see him at this years tour Im not sure it would be the best decision for him this year .... however in saying that it is Sam we are talking about here. . . exciting times......

If he's good enough he's old enough. And it sure looks like he's good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Realistically there is a little bit more to it than that . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭connachta

Come on! Machado is the only one who could help Koenig into climbing! what about the 7 others? How many riders escaped finishes stages in front during the Tour? 4 or 5! Chance for Net-App to be top 10, just 1 time?? 5/10 % Whereas with Sam, even if he quits after the 1st week, it's 3 or 4 top 10 guaranted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I imagine Net App want Koenig to win a stage if not 2 ....he has a great finish esp on the medium mountains and thus will need support ...If they bring Sam he will have no train and will have to do it himself...I hope they take him as the experience will be invaluable ...so he can maybe in a few years win stages

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

First season racing at this level - so far he has done incredibly well, but to now go into a 3 week Grand Tour would be a hell of a leap. I personally think he would be better off sitting this out/being left out this year. He's done particularly well in some one day races this year and there will be plenty of opportunity to develop his ability to compete at Grand Tour level over the next year or two. However goung into the Tour now and dropping out after a week or so may do more damage than good and potentially limit furture opportunities at that level.

But if it's part of the plan for him to do maybe 10 days and he only does 8 days it's hardly going to effect his development.

But if it's part of the plan for him to do maybe 10 days and he only does 8 days it's hardly going to effect his development.

Exacly, and psychologicaly it's far better for him to finish top 10 behind Caven, Kittel etc, than 2nd or 3rd on secondary rides

To compare: Cavendish 1st Tour de France at 22, he fell, he also quit the next one after 15 days to avoid mountain. Is he "damaged" or the best in the word?

connachta wrote: »
    Exacly, and psychologicaly it's far better for him to finish top 10 behind Caven, Kittel etc, than 2nd or 3rd on secondary rides

To compare: Cavendish 1st Tour de France at 22, he fell, he also quit the next one after 15 days to avoid mountain. Is he "damaged" or the best in the word?

He's only top 3 :-) kittel is better and sagan has more style :-)

• Advertisement

Agree, but don't broke my rhetorical effect! ^^

I agree totally ...

Bennett is 24 this year ...how much older does he need to be start at this level

Boy Van Poppel rode his first Grand Tour last year at 19 ....and left after 10 days I think

What age was Kittle , Bouhanni, Cav , Petacchi etc when they rode there first Grand Tour

How many 24 year olds (or younger) are riding the Giro at present ...and how many very high on GC ...quite a few

If he wants to be up there wining at 27 then he needs to start now

Its not like he needs to do the last difficult week

For everyone interested in Sam, World ports classic today with Griepel!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

I see he finished 23rd. Any reports online yet?

circler wrote: »
    I see he finished 23rd. Any reports online yet?

Haven't seen any reports just a tweet from sam sayign he messed up in some corner or other

Benett fifth today, good sprint for him

4th today in Bayern Rundfahrt opener

4th today in Bayern Rundfahrt opener

Short highlights

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VgOoPbDS88o

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Jensie's Diary is up too. (Still can't post links so apols): youtube.com/watch?v=ioBl5_OrRsY

Another great ride by Sam in Stage 2 of Bayern Rundfahrt.

Yes he did come 2nd last (127th) ... but it was a summit finish.
    Impressively, he won the first two intermediate sprints (and he managed a second place in a KOM). He now lies in second place in the sprint classification.

Stage 3 today is relatively flat with a couple of small uncategorised bumps at the end. I don't think it's tough enough to drop the sprinters, but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Another great ride by Sam in Stage 2 of Bayern Rundfahrt.

Yes he did come 2nd last (127th) ... but it was a summit finish.
    Impressively, he won the first two intermediate sprints (and he managed a second place in a KOM). He now lies in second place in the sprint classification.

Stage 3 today is relatively flat with a couple of small uncategorised bumps at the end. I don't think it's tough enough to drop the sprinters, but I could be wrong.

That is good going, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

Possibly saving himself for today? He's usually quite good at getting over hilly stuff as long as it's not to long/steep.

happytramp wrote: »
    Possibly saving himself for today? He's usually quite good at getting over hilly stuff as long as it's not to long/steep.

He was in the breakaway yesterday so it was probably a combination of being tired, and taking it easy on the last climb. The GC riders contested for the stage win.

He was second overall in the points race going into today's itt. Hopefully he wins tomorrow and also wins the points jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

He's now down to 4th in the UCI Europe Tour rankings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Super stuff, what a prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Dura Ace wrote: »
    He's now down to 4th in the UCI Europe Tour rankings.

Second according to the UCI website.

Sam Bennett (NetApp-Endura) wins Stage 5 of the Bayern Rundfahrt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Fantastic !

Advertisement