Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mrs. Cullen's Powder

Options
  • 28-06-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

They were sold in sachets, like the old single blades, God knows what was in it. I think it was used for headaches, the vapours and other womanly ailments. Empty the contents into a glass of water, still and ingest. Last seen on shelves around 1970.
    Any one with more info..Were they made in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Well, sorry, I can't answer your question, but you have brought back an old memory right there!
    I remember being sent for errands by my mother where that item would sometimes be written on her shopping list...which was usually written on the inside of an opened packet of "Woodbine" cigarettes!
    Actually, it wasn't even in a sachet, the powder was in just a folded piece of grease-proof-type paper where, when you opened it up, you'd tap the edge of the paper so as to ensure that you had despatched the full contents into the cup (never a glass, that would have been TOO posh!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cant help you either but when you mentioned Powder I'm reminded of
    stories that may or may not have been Urban Myth's about
    "White Powder" that the Army used a long time ago.

There were many varients of stories they all involved the Irish Army's use
    of a white powder that was put into Soliders food that was ment to
    reduce mens's sex drive.

to

Various stories about when Woman joined the army there risked been raped
    or sexually assaulted

to Young Recruits or other males having some bum fun when living in barracks or stationed together without the female company

to
    Reducing the risk of Soliders trying to hop up on top of every female
    while they were let into Towns at night when on Tours of Duty etc.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

A quick google seems to indicate that the ingredients were aspirin & caffeine - so it was good for what ailed ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bump: Eleven years later I know. my mother lived by this and I can safely say Cullen's Powders was one of the only aspirin that could kill my headaches and hangovers. One poster mentioned they hadn't seen it on shelves since the 70s, I remember being able to get them right up to the late eighties in Ireland. Marketed in a similar way to Beecham's Powders, it was the only remedy that killed my mothers migraines as well.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I worked in a wholesaler circa 1999 that had a Mrs Cullens Powders clock in one of the offices. Don't think we sold them though. Beechams I do remember.
    Solpa Extra with caffeine is probably the closest equivalent now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement