Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 karl13

Hi,
    I am looking to go for the ESB apprenticeships this year, does anyone who has done it have any advice on the applications process?
    I did my leaving cert last year but was too late when I found out about this oppurtunity, so i went to college but realy do not like it so I am going to apply for this as I have always been interested in becoming an electrician.

Thanks Alot,

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

How many of the apprentices are selected to go on to the electrical engineering degree does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

It all depends on how many people say they're interested, then how many meet the required standard in the leaving cert, then how many get a Merit in phase 4, then how they do in the aptitude tests and if they have a good recomendation. So it's hard to tell how many will go on to do it.

The application process is this

Application form --> Aptitude tests --> Interview --> Medical.

If you have a good sense of mechanical reasoning, problem solving and basic maths you'll be fine for the aptitude tests. In the interview you really want to be going on about team work, safety and responsibilty. And in the medical just don't do any drugs for a few weeks before and don't be colour blind. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Where are ye all getting yer references?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17 karl13

I think my old year head and my boss from my last job?

• Advertisement

School principal and/or old boss seem to be the most common that people use

bassey wrote: »
    School principal and/or old boss seem to be the most common that people use
    How about a teacher.My principle wountnt know me that well.

Anyone know roughly how many apply and dont get offered a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Of the 100 they are currently taking on they say they are going to keep on roughly about 20, but there's also the oppertunity to do electical engineering.

And there are ESB modules that have to be done in Portlaoise.

Fair play to them,thousands of sparks on the dole already and they are guaranteeing another 80 to be on it in 4 years time.

Don't see why they can't employ some of the redundant apprentices out there as well as some fresh faced young un's or are all said apprentices useless now since the country dosen't need them to build gaffs anymore.

They took on some last year to their credit,they should keep doing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

superg wrote: »

Don't see why they can't employ some of the redundant apprentices out there as well as some fresh faced young un's or are all said apprentices useless now since the country dosen't need them to build gaffs anymore.

They took on some last year to their credit,they should keep doing it.

Qualified or not, or any age can apply, they need to be trained on their type of work so it makes sense to start people are apprentices.

The people last year were temporary apprentices to finish their off job phases to complete the apprenticeship.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Qualified or not, or any age can apply, they need to be trained on their type of work so it makes sense to start people are apprentices.

The people last year were temporary apprentices to finish their off job phases to complete the apprenticeship.

I'm not sure you can redo an apprenticeship in a trade that your already qualified at.Nothing to stop them taking on apprentices and training them in Portlaoise,they could even train already qualified sparks on their systems.Plenty would happily take a pay cut for the chance however I take the point that its best to start at year one with people.

The point I don't get is why take 100 when you only need 20.Sure not all 100 will work out so it makes sense to pick more than what you need but I don't see why they can't pick some of those 100 from lads who are proven in this game but find themselves out of work through no fault of their own.Why not give some of the lads already on an apprenticeship a chance to prove they can do a job for the ESB.

Last year was temporary but it was better than nothing and I'm sure if some of those lads who got that chance proved themselves capable then they stood a good chance of being kept.

Whats the point in retraining a qualified sparks in specific ESB stuff when they can get someone in from year 1? There's some sections in the ESB that take ALOT more than 4 years to get properly experienced in. The way I see it is they're giving a lot of people a job for 4 years and a great qualification and also a good pool of recruits for themselves. And you have to remember that they're taking more people to send people on to engineering aswell

ForeverYoung90: I know last year there was over 5000 applications, they could only look at 4500, and of that they took on 100.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

superg wrote: »
    Last year was temporary but it was better than nothing and I'm sure if some of those lads who got that chance proved themselves capable then they stood a good chance of being kept.

They never had an option to get a job from it.

ForeverYoung90: I know last year there was over 5000 applications, they could only look at 4500, and of that they took on 100.

Thats a lot of applications!

Whats the point in retraining a qualified sparks in specific ESB stuff when they can get someone in from year 1? There's some sections in the ESB that take ALOT more than 4 years to get properly experienced in. The way I see it is they're giving a lot of people a job for 4 years and a great qualification and also a good pool of recruits for themselves. And you have to remember that they're taking more people to send people on to engineering aswell

The point is because theres thousands of them on the dole.why introduce more people to a trade thats already overstocked.And even leaving aside qualified lads they should be making use of the pool of apprentices already in the system,IMO of course.

I'm nearly in my fourth year and have a job but I'd take first year wages while retaining my third year status to get a job with them and I'm sure plenty others would too.

5000 applicants and they take 100?:eek:
    Well im 19 dropped out of a college course last month as it just wasnt for me and am looking at applying for this.I got 270 points in my leaving and am young and willing to work and learn.I also have work experience from working part time in my local creamery every saturday and summers since I was 16.What are my chances?:o

5000 applicants and they take 100?:eek:
    Well im 19 dropped out of a college course last month as it just wasnt for me and am looking at applying for this.I got 270 points in my leaving and am young and willing to work and learn.I also have work experience from working part time in my local creamery every saturday and summers since I was 16.What are my chances?:o
    Does anyone think dropping out of college will go against me?:(

5000 applicants and they take 100?eek.gif
    Well im 19 dropped out of a college course last month as it just wasnt for me and am looking at applying for this.I got 270 points in my leaving and am young and willing to work and learn.I also have work experience from working part time in my local creamery every saturday and summers since I was 16.What are my chances?redface.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

bout 50/1 id say lol :)

It depends on why you dropped out I'd say. And I wouldn't worry too much about your LC results, I got taken on before I even got my results! I think the big decider is how you do in the Aptitude test and then hopefully interview.

pdiddy wrote: »
    bout 50/1 id say lol :)
    Haha that sounds about right..:rolleyes:...:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Working as an electrician can be great and the ESB would be good to work for but:

1) As you have pointed out there are 5000 applicants and only 100 places. You may also find that many of these applicants will have more relevent work experience. Therefore your chances are very slim.

2) There is not very much work for electricians at the moment and the chances are this will not improve when these apprentices qualify. In general the ESB do not keep on apprentices when they qualify.

Best of luck what ever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

It depends on why you dropped out I'd say. And I wouldn't worry too much about your LC results, I got taken on before I even got my results! I think the big decider is how you do in the Aptitude test and then hopefully interview.

How do you like the work if you don't mind me asking? what stage are you at?

I think it's great, there's so many sections with such a variety of things to do. From stations to overheads, cables, faults and operations. Climbing poles and masts is great fun aswell (When it's not freezing or gale force windy). I've just started phase 2 now so I won't be with the ESB for a while.

2011 wrote: »
    In general the ESB do not keep on apprentices when they qualify.

I think they keep 1 in 5 roughly.

Op you have nothing to lose, give it all you've got, and hopefully you will get an interview.

So did you have good references and experience of working with electrician work or what?How did your interview go?Thanks

Never worked with elecricity before I started here, but I'd been doing flooring every summer and weekend since I was in 4th year so I knew my way around a building site. In the iterview just go on about safety, hard work, responsibility and the importance of getting things done

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

I sent my application today. Does anyone know what numbers are applying this yr? it sounds an interesting course. will they send you to electrical or electronic engineering?

aerial man wrote: »
    I sent my application today. Does anyone know what numbers are applying this yr? it sounds an interesting course. will they send you to electrical or electronic engineering?

I doubt anyone knows till they all apply, but its going to a lot this year seeing the situation with jobs etc in the country.

Its electrical engineering, if you meet the criteria

aerial man wrote: »
    Hey I think the references you have are the real deceiding factor..who should I get mine off?A former teacher?school principle?boss at work?can you use your farther as a reference?And also is all you do is get your referees details and theyll be contacted?

• Advertisement

Hey I think the references you have are the real deceiding factor..who should I get mine off?A former teacher?school principle?boss at work?can you use your farther as a reference?And also is all you do is get your referees details and theyll be contacted?
    anyone?:o

Advertisement