Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travelling to the UK from Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have family members (from the UK) coming to see us in a few weeks. They know about the necessity of negative PCR tests before arrival and they will comply with all that.

They are worried about the quarantine requirements. My question is: are they allowed quarantine / self isolate in our home, when we will be in our home as well? Or do they have to stay somewhere where they will be on their own?

Both they and we are fully are fully vaccinated, so I have no fear of them staying with us.

If they have to self isolate on their own, there is no point in them coming for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If they are isolating in your home, so are you, unless they are in their own section! Officially anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joshk92

I am travelling back to the UK on Friday from Shannon has anyone been from there recently?

With regards to essential travel, I have a vaccine booked for that Friday in UK but unsure whether that would fall under the ‘medical appointment’ exemption.

I would be very grateful for any tips from anyone who’s made the trip there and then back to Ireland recently

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭patscott27

Joshk92 wrote: »
    I am travelling back to the UK on Friday from Shannon has anyone been from there recently?

With regards to essential travel, I have a vaccine booked for that Friday in UK but unsure whether that would fall under the ‘medical appointment’ exemption.

I would be very grateful for any tips from anyone who’s made the trip there and then back to Ireland recently
    Yes that would be fine. Just have any digital or paper proof with you in case the guards ask to see them. You do know you will have to quarantine when returning if flying back into Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

Need some advice here please: I am
    Booked to visit UK for 3 nights, fly back for 1 day and then booked to fly back again for 3 nights and and then home to Ireland.
    Will there be problems as will only have done 1 day quarantine before next trip?

• Advertisement

Well you'll need 2 negative PCR tests, one for each trip, to come back into Ireland. But other than that no issue. You can't quarantine if your leaving the country (Ireland) and you don't have to quarantine in England. So expensive, yes, but doable

Well you'll need 2 negative PCR tests, one for each trip, to come back into Ireland. But other than that no issue. You can't quarantine if your leaving the country (Ireland) and you don't have to quarantine in England. So expensive, yes, but doable

Ok Thanks so much for that

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I am just back from some time in UK.

1. going there was just as usual apart from deserted airport and most units closed or boarded over and a garda presence on approach ramp to main entrance.

2 Return was more tricky. You need to do a PCR test in time for a result to be back and still valid for flight time. I used Boots at £85 and received an email notification in about 18 hrs with link to a document with of negative test. A day or so before travel I filled out a 'locator form'. At the boarding gate, I needed to show the PCR test result as well as usual passport and boarding card. In Dublin Queues were slow at passport control with the automatic checks not in use. Each person took longer and needed to show locator form and evidence of PCR test as well as passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Thanks Garlinge

Out of curiosity how long did it take to get through passport control?

NOt too long as not so many people arriving and plenty of booths open, maybe 15 minutes. A bit of confusion with some with 'Dunta' displayed to confuse non Irish and Eu and non Eu seemed to be mixed up at final Q tho separated initially. Yes each person took longer as noone seemed to have all three documents ready for inspection. I had thought just passport and locater form as per a previous return trip... I had to dig up the PCR result notification and pull up link to cert. An announcement of same as people Q'ed might have been helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Sounds like a communication screw up. They should be communicating exactly what you’ll need to do on board the flight.

Yes another missed opportunity. The only concern I had with journey was that only one door/steps used to enter plane so I had to walk full length to my second last row seat and then we had an extra hour sitting as some mixup with luggage and all had to be taken off and checked. I had to put the air vents 'on' in my row as it got stuffy over that time. And back door was not opened. I wonder how many fully vaccinated people in fellow passengers. The flight was fairly full too compared to last one. An evening flight and with delay the food/drink trolley was busy and of course masks removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LuckyFriend

As it stands for 19th of July do they plan on abolishing the requirement of PCR testing or have they not discussed what this date involves rather than leaving us confused over lifting international travel.

I understand it to mean you are ok to enter Ireland if fully vaccinated but will still need recent PCR if not? And information of same entered on the Green Covid Passport.

As it stands for 19th of July do they plan on abolishing the requirement of PCR testing or have they not discussed what this date involves rather than leaving us confused over lifting international travel.

Most likely..... But nothing guaranteed and nothing clarified as of right now

Any one know when 2K fine will be abolished for travelling to Port or Airport for the purpose of leaving the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

patscott27 wrote: »
    Any one know when 2K fine will be abolished for travelling to Port or Airport for the purpose of leaving the state.

19 July

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Garlinge wrote: »
    I am just back from some time in UK.

1. going there was just as usual apart from deserted airport and most units closed or boarded over and a garda presence on approach ramp to main entrance.

2 Return was more tricky. You need to do a PCR test in time for a result to be back and still valid for flight time. I used Boots at £85 and received an email notification in about 18 hrs with link to a document with of negative test. A day or so before travel I filled out a 'locator form'. At the boarding gate, I needed to show the PCR test result as well as usual passport and boarding card. In Dublin Queues were slow at passport control with the automatic checks not in use. Each person took longer and needed to show locator form and evidence of PCR test as well as passport.

Thanks Garlinge

Was there any Garda presence within the terminal checking reason for travel?

No Gardai in evidence on arrival back, exited airport as normal. When leaving Ireland, there was a checkpoint just before the ramp up to 'set down' area but I was not stopped ( in taxi).

Yes another missed opportunity. The only concern I had with journey was that only one door/steps used to enter plane so I had to walk full length to my second last row seat and then we had an extra hour sitting as some mixup with luggage and all had to be taken off and checked. I had to put the air vents 'on' in my row as it got stuffy over that time. And back door was not opened. I wonder how many fully vaccinated people in fellow passengers. The flight was fairly full too compared to last one. An evening flight and with delay the food/drink trolley was busy and of course masks removed.

Were you not boarded by row number so that having to walk past the whole plane was avoided…so you should have been second row to board?

A bit uncomfortable if they’ve done away with this practice already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Children under the age of 6 do not need to do a PCR test, when travelling to Ireland.

Were you not boarded by row number so that having to walk past the whole plane was avoided…so you should have been second row to board?

No boarding by row number, just 'priorty Q' first on. It was first time I remember Ryanair not having the rear steps available. I was uneasy to have to walk down a nearly full plane with only the front door for ventilation. Then to have to sit an extra hour while they sorted the bag issue. But I think the overhead vents worked in that time but they had to be turned 'on' by each passanger.

The rear steps were there in Dublin and I was first off the plane.

Five days on and still well and head for first PCR test tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Meisiekind81

Wonder if anyone that traveled to the UK from Dublin recently can help. I'm flying to Birmingham and need to travel by train to Nottingham. Was there any Covid or immigration checks in the UK or is it same as always? If there were, how long did it take? Just need to know what time to book my train.
    Thanks

Wonder if anyone that traveled to the UK from Dublin recently can help. I'm flying to Birmingham and need to travel by train to Nottingham. Was there any Covid or immigration checks in the UK or is it same as always? If there were, how long did it take? Just need to know what time to book my train.
    Thanks
    There will be no covid checks and usually no passport checks for flights from Ireland. Very cursory glance at most before you go on your way.

No boarding by row number, just 'priorty Q' first on. It was first time I remember Ryanair not having the rear steps available. I was uneasy to have to walk down a nearly full plane with only the front door for ventilation. Then to have to sit an extra hour while they sorted the bag issue. But I think the overhead vents worked in that time but they had to be turned 'on' by each passanger.

The rear steps were there in Dublin and I was first off the plane.

Five days on and still well and head for first PCR test tomorrow.

Yeah not great having to walk past so many people and then having to wait for an hour for the bag issue

Should have had both doors open for max ventilation and safer boarding

Can anyone advise Will the UK come under green travel cert on July 19th. I have both vaccinations and am hoping I wont need a pcr /quarantine to return from the UK after July 19th but cant see any guidance?

Can anyone advise Will the UK come under green travel cert on July 19th. I have both vaccinations and am hoping I wont need a pcr /quarantine to return from the UK after July 19th but cant see any guidance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Is there any requirements or restrictions for holidaying in Northern Ireland?

Yes I need to do another UK trip in mid August and wish it was clear what are the rules for UK travellers entering Ireland after next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Yes they will. Don't have time to Google them now but many articles in the papers this week about it being good news for the Irish in Britain.

I'm traveling to the UK next week too and waiting anxiously for my certificate to arrive!

Advertisement