Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramp for dog

• 22-06-2021 10:18am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My dog (Scruffy) is 12 years and a 15kg Terrier breed, he is having trouble getting up and down stairs so I made ramps to get him up and down the stairs. Each ramp covers 7 steps and is made of 9mm plywood 330mm wide. I am putting batons across for grip at 150mm distance but need something to go on the plywood in between. Something like grip tape but not necessarily sandpaper type

Would any of you have done something similar and if so what did you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

would felt work ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I love it op :o What a lucky fella he is to have you looking out for him so well!
    Would little bits of carpet work?
    I've found the purpose-built ramps with their sandpapery-type surface aren't really grippy enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The problem I'm running into is the angle is 45°, I had carpet on the ramp but Scruffy was finding it difficult getting a grip, the batons across made it somewhat easier but its still a struggle for him. I carry him up and down no problems but my wife cant carry him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Borderfox wrote: »
    The problem I'm running into is the angle is 45°, I had carpet on the ramp but Scruffy was finding it difficult getting a grip, the batons across made it somewhat easier but its still a struggle for him. I carry him up and down no problems but my wife cant carry him.

mmm.... would more batons be the answer here? like make it kind of like a ladder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭wandererz

Rubber matt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have the sandpaper type CAM nonslip tape on the step at our backdoor for Bailey and it works well, as does the sandpaper texture of his ramp. The tape is much rougher/thicker than the ramp surface and came from https://www.camonlineshop.com/

Something like pieces of yoga mat might work well too - tesco do cheap ones for about €5 that I always keep a few of for non slip projects. Another time I used carpet a carpet off cut/mat from Des Kelly’s - €5 so worth a try!

I was banned from making ramps for out stairs lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

I also made a ramp for my old boy before he passed, I used this, https://www.halfords.ie/tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-non-slip-mat-227095.html might work between the batons for you.
    For the ramp by the bed, used the ribbed mats (Aldi or Lidi ) stapled down, worked really well.
    lovely to read Scruffy getting all that love and care for his needs :)
    Photo of your lovely boy :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

sdp wrote: »
    I also made a ramp for my old boy before he passed, I used this, https://www.halfords.ie/tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-non-slip-mat-227095.html might work between the batons for you.
    For the ramp by the bed, used the ribbed mats (Aldi or Lidi ) stapled down, worked really well.
    lovely to read Scruffy getting all that love and care for his needs :)
    Photo of your lovely boy :D

Thanks for that the Rolson one is exactly what I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭amber2

Pet ramp coming to Lidl on the 1st July €27.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

amber2 wrote: »
    Pet ramp coming to Lidl on the 1st July €27.99.

Those ramps don’t get very good reviews as they’re so flimsy and slippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

I built a ramp outside so my Miniature Dachshund could climb a few steps' height to a doggy door. I put artificial grass on the ramp for grip. It looked really cool and worked a treat.

Not sure about 45deg or using in the house. Might look extra odd!

Advertisement