Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marty Miller & Nova

• 03-02-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭

Is Nova Marty Miller's baby or something? I was looking at the website the other day and he has an well above average amount of airtime on the station. It's like he's the filler guy for everything and seems to be the default guy for everything, and even his own show goes on for hours.

Anyone know if he has an interest in the station and is a part owner or something or just a paid employee? It just seemed curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

He does get a lot of airtime alright!

I've no problem with that, as I quite like him, but I feckin hate that fella from hotpress he has on every night, he annoys the **** outta me with his opinionated view on every aspect of life :mad:

That guy, 'Optilase' and 'busiest room in the house' Bathroom ads, and the shameless over-playing of ACDC 'Thunderstruck' are slowly but surely making me find alternatives, mainly in the form of 4FM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Oh I don't mind either. It's just unusual. do you mean Eamon Carr as the guy from HotPress? I think he's fantastic. he knocks spots off Tommy Walsh. I actually wish they'd leave Tommy to making his albums and messing around with Neil Hannon and gave Eamon Carr the gig full time instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Sorry, i did mean Tommy, yes. He's about as insightful as a Twix. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alanoshea

Well Marty is one of their best DJs. He sounds great and is obviously really into the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Marty's ok. Easy to listen to, doesn't yammer on and on. I don't mind him at all. I'd listen to him from 3-5pm usually when I'm in work. Best thing going really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I like what he plays but it bugs that after almost every song, he tells me his name again. Initially I thought: give them a chance, new station, etc, but now it's just annoying. "That was AC/DC's Thunderstruck, I'm Marty Miller"....

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

luketitz wrote: »
    Sorry, i did mean Tommy, yes. He's about as insightful as a Twix. :D

Eamon Carr has been excellent this week. I would be delighted to see him there full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes, and unlike Tommy Walsh, Eamon seems to go out and get people to interview on the phone. I know that's maybe hard to keep up every week but so far this week it's been excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

squonk wrote: »
    Yes, and unlike Tommy Walsh, Eamon seems to go out and get people to interview on the phone. I know that's maybe hard to keep up every week but so far this week it's been excellent!

IMO the fly in the ointment is Miller, Eamon is good from age and experience, Tommy is a funny guy (imo) , whereas Marty is just a dj and only knows what he's told or read somewhere......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I like what he plays but it bugs that after almost every song, he tells me his name again...
    Maybe he will forget his own name if he doesnt say it every 5 minutes?

Seriously, I thought most stations banned DJs from more than 1 name check per hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Hoping PJ will play some Gary Moore tonite........i know he wont let us down....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jaydeep

squonk wrote: »
    Is Nova Marty Miller's baby or something? I was looking at the website the other day and he has an well above average amount of airtime on the station. It's like he's the filler guy for everything and seems to be the default guy for everything, and even his own show goes on for hours.

Anyone know if he has an interest in the station and is a part owner or something or just a paid employee? It just seemed curious!

Its a new operation with no money and limited staff.

They will work the **** out of the day time crew across the weekend , so you appear to hear the same dj's.

Martys a great lad, and deserves some respect as a presenter.

He's about the best sounding and freshest on the station.

Greg/ Pat and the other old school heads need to get the finger out. Their living off the " they were amazing on the pirates in the 80s " rubbish, thats good enough today.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davidcorry

10 years later...

Been listening to nova for 1 year. How does that Marty Miller have a job?? He is f**kin terrible, without doubt the worst radio DJ I've heard.

His inane boring topics he talks about. Maybe it's just me but does he think "what can I say in between songs that is totally lacking any interest and originality?"
    OK, I couldn't/wouldn't do what he does but my god, I have to change station when he talks.

Also, his fake laugh, the little intake of breath all the time, his pronunciation of Nova and him playing WhatsApp messages of how his "fans" thinks he's class

Nova, in general, is the best of a bad bunch in Ireland on national radio (except John creedon for a few hours). As an alternative radio station, they had to be told by the audience not to play Ed sheeran, yet still play Dermot Kennedy, George Ezra, etc..

I miss phantom

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lord Nelson

jaydeep wrote: »
    Its a new operation with no money and limited staff.

They will work the **** out of the day time crew across the weekend , so you appear to hear the same dj's.

Martys a great lad, and deserves some respect as a presenter.

He's about the best sounding and freshest on the station.

Greg/ Pat and the other old school heads need to get the finger out. Their living off the " they were amazing on the pirates in the 80s " rubbish, thats good enough today.

At eleven years old, it’s hardly a new operation!!
    Totally agree with comments about Greg/Pat. Courtney was past his sell by date 20 years ago and sounds like a throwback to an era long since gone. Unfortunately Marty and a few others are wasted among the dross on this so called “rock” station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

At eleven years old, it’s hardly a new operation!!
    Totally agree with comments about Greg/Pat. Courtney was past his sell by date 20 years ago and sounds like a throwback to an era long since gone. Unfortunately Marty and a few others are wasted among the dross on this so called “rock” station.

The post that you responded to was from 2011! The thread had just been bumped up yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

davidcorry wrote: »
    I miss phantom

Nova isn't phantom and never will be.

Marty is alright.
    I was a huge phantom fan and in fairness Marry plays some decent stuff and knows his music.
    One of the better mainstream DJs on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Nova isn't phantom and never will be.

Marty is alright.
    I was a huge phantom fan and in fairness Marry plays some decent stuff and knows his music.
    One of the better mainstream DJs on Irish radio.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

We all know its not Phantom......Simon would never have a "presenter" like Miller on....
    Morty knows fcuk all about music.....if he got a job in Joe Duffys he'd be an expert on BMW after a week of Googling....the nearest thing they have to a daytime "dj" is Courtenay...and thats a stretch...

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

We all know its not Phantom......Simon would never have a "presenter" like Miller on....
    Morty knows fcuk all about music.....if he got a job in Joe Duffys he'd be an expert on BMW after a week of Googling....the nearest thing they have to a daytime "dj" is Courtenay...and thats a stretch...

Marty miller and his wife should be cleaning toilets in McDonald's, not on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

Marty miller and his wife should be cleaning toilets in McDonald's, not on the radio

Oh, I didn't realise his wife worked on Nova, do they have any kids? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Not surprised if they did clean the toilets at nova..they're never out of the place....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Not surprised if they did clean the toilets at nova..they're never out of the place....:D

both doing shows from home since March 2020

MaxHeadroom taking a holiday from this forum, and permanently banned from this thread, in light of a post that's been deleted.

In additiion to the general rule against personal abuse, there is a rule here against deeply personal/ offensive abuse which applies to radio broadcasters. Please see charter if unsure. Thanks. - Mod.

Advertisement