Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lions Tour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Although I suspect this will end up being classified as a test match, I think it devalues Lions test caps by doing it. Test caps should be limited to the 23s that make match day squads for the end of series test matches, not given to a load of third rate Scots and the like getting capped in what is effectively a warm up game because Gregor Townsend has pitched for them at the selection meetings and because the English season finished later than the Rainbow Cup.

I see this game as being similar to a world cup warm up game - for what it's worth I don't personally like seeing caps issued for RWC warm up games either - I feel it devalues international caps by doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

On an unrelated note, I've been streaming the Lions series since 1997 for a few friends to watch together as a build up to the series this year, bit of fun (yes we even watched 2005 again ... why).

We watched the 2009 first test this evening. Quite how SA didn't spend quite a bit of time at the end of the second half at least a man down is beyond me. But all the same, seriously tight game and if Jones had hit his points and Monye hadn't ****ed two tries (even if one was a great tackle from De Villiers), totally different game. I expect to be similarly enraged when we watch the second test when Burger gets a yellow card. Looking forward to that game though, because it was mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I don’t see why it’s deeply concerning.

I’m very happy that the best Rugby players in this country are vaccinated so they don’t get sick, and if it’s good enough for the best Irish rugby players then i cant complain when other nations get it.

AFAIK there are no fans traveling so what’s the increased level of risk? I just don’t see what is increasing the risk to say it’s deeply concerning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

I don’t see why it’s deeply concerning.

I’m very happy that the best Rugby players in this country are vaccinated so they don’t get sick, and if it’s good enough for the best Irish rugby players then i cant complain when other nations get it.

AFAIK there are no fans traveling so what’s the increased level of risk? I just don’t see what is increasing the risk to say it’s deeply concerning.

Just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get sick
    There will be ancillary staff travelling who may not be vaccinated, sports journalists travelling who may not be vaccinated.
    People aren't always forthcoming about cases as we see today with North Macedonia in the Europeans, seems they are being investigated for having active cases when playing Holland.
    An outbreak, and a third wave approaching does not bode well for SA....the idea of playing rugby while people could be sick and dying in the area is not a very good one imo

Just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get sick
    There will be ancillary staff travelling who may not be vaccinated, sports journalists travelling who may not be vaccinated.
    People aren't always forthcoming about cases as we see today with North Macedonia in the Europeans, seems they are being investigated for having active cases when playing Holland.
    An outbreak, and a third wave approaching does not bode well for SA....the idea of playing rugby while people could be sick and dying in the area is not a very good one imo

Every game of rugby in the history of games of rugby has been played while people are sick and dying in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Lions don't worry about other peoples misery. Why would they? It's never bothered them before.
    Covid? No problem. Apartheid? Nothing to do with us.

Keep those tills ringing. Money money money.

Every game of rugby in the history of games of rugby has been played while people are sick and dying in the area.

Not in an area that has approx 60k deaths during a pandemic that seems to be surging again

Not in an area that has approx 60k deaths during a pandemic that seems to be surging again

None of which are the cause of rugby, or will be cured by not playing rugby.

Moral outrage is a pointless waste of time.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

South Africa itself is still only at level 3 restrictions out of a possible 5 levels.

None of which are the cause of rugby, or will be cured by not playing rugby.

Moral outrage is a pointless waste of time.

And once again you ignored 90% of my original post... selective quoting seems to be your little forté

• Advertisement

And once again you ignored 90% of my original post... selective quoting seems to be your little forté

That’s because 90% of your post was pointless conjecture not worthy of a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The optics might not be great but there's very little risk in terms of Covid impact to the Lions group or of the Lions making the local situation worse.

On the other hand, the SARU have (presumably) been banking on the income from this tour. I'd imagine the IRFU, WRU, SRU and RFU can afford to take the hit a lot more than the hosts. They would be the big losers from a cancellation.

I doubt anyone will be pushing to pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Would be fantastic if this farce of a “sporting” event was cancelled
    I guess apartheid didn’t stop lions touring to South Africa (until we’ll after everyone else) so why would a pandemic eh

That’s because 90% of your post was pointless conjecture not worthy of a response.

Nothing worthy to add, as usual, cool

In fairness, the Covid situation in Ireland in January was worse and no one suggested that we cancel the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Anyone know any pubs showing the Japan test? Can't trust the locals with the euros on and only one TV available.

Nothing worthy to add, as usual, cool

What’s the point in responding to your line about “just because your vaccinated doesn’t mean you can’t get sick”

Should i examine the risk factors related to flying versus somebody who has received a proven vaccine and then determine how stupid a statement you just made is? Surely there is a risk of flying as well that is equally as tiny.

Should I point out to you that very publicly the Lions have indicated that ALL members of the touring party are vaccinated? Even though you seem to worry that some aren’t?

Should I point out that journalists travel for work? And if they are not vaccinated then they have refused a vaccine as is their want and they will be subject to testing and quarantine protocols as determined locally.

So yea, 90% of what you posted is tripe. The lions are taking a huge number of measures and they have been granted permission by the local authorities to proceed, the stadiums will be empty unfortunately so please point out what the actual risks are because of this tour an il gladly accept your point.

Otherwise I’m looking forward to watching it.

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    I guess apartheid didn’t stop lions touring to South Africa (until we’ll after everyone else) so why would a pandemic eh

Imagine you had another channel on your TV and didn’t have to watch it. Or if there were other forums on boards so you could just ignore it completely.

In fairness, the Covid situation in Ireland in January was worse and no one suggested that we cancel the 6N.

And the players or staff hadn’t been vaccinated either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Anyone know any pubs showing the Japan test? Can't trust the locals with the euros on and only one TV available.
    The Lions game is on at 3pm. The first Euros game on Saturday kick off at 5pm. There's no clash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hits the nail on the head....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/matt-williams-lions-spin-can-t-simply-gloss-over-covid-reality-in-south-africa-1.4596367%3fmode=amp

Lads, it's a money making machine now nothing else, has been since the late 90s.

All you hear is stage managed sanitised bull **** on social media and post match tour DVDs.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

when he compares the lions tour with the hunger games.... urrggghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Furlong starting at 3 now not ideal prep for the game losing two starters already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

So... do any of ye actually enjoy the Lions tours?

I don't understand the "it's all about the money" angle.

Like, the Lions tour is about the only thing left over the amateur era that is basically the same. If some bank wants to hand over a wedge of cash to be the "offical financial services partner" of the Lions, who cares? It doesn't make any odds to the games. I don't see why people get so worked up about it, it makes absolutely no difference to the rugby. If you're upset that there is too much Lions promo stuff on your social, <deep intake of breath> spend less time on social media. Yes, it can be done.

On the other hand, this week we heard that Ireland are going to play a match against the rugby titans of the USA Eagles in that stronghold of the oval ball, Las Vegas, in a direct clash with the new URC only a month after it kicks off. That is all about the money.

This is pro sport. Money is a big part of it and that genie isn't going back in the bottle. I love the Lions, I think it's absolutely brilliant - and I just ignore all the commercial stuff, ignore Sky Sports hype and watch the games.

Matt Williams. Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

So... do any of ye actually enjoy the Lions tours?

I don't really see the point of them myself. The always leave the players too overworked to manage the next season, and, we now have the case where most of the top 8 can beat the others, so it's not as big a deal taking the best from 4 teams, it's almost too much of an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

I don't really see the point of them myself. The always leave the players too overworked to manage the next season, and, we now have the case where most of the top 8 can beat the others, so it's not as big a deal taking the best from 4 teams, it's almost too much of an advantage.

133 years of tradition, brilliant spectacle for fans and pinnacle of careers and greatest honour for the players

Didn't do our players too much harm after the last 2 tours.

What's the point in anything I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

TXPTGR1 wrote: »

Why are you on this thread ? Go to a pleasing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Absolutely LOVE the Lions tours, superb entertainment and an incredible spectacle when things are going "well / normal"

This year is a crazy logistical challenge but I really hope it pays off, as its the one and only time I can cheer for the Ire, Eng, Scot players... and cheer I do, all of these lads wearing the Lions jersey, brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

It amazes me how many "rugby fans" are so keen to get rid of one of the few great things unique to rugby.

Advertisement