Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some site news...we're moving! [Update in Post #138 4/6/21]

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

As far as I know the admins work mon - fri 9-5, so no one will see it until the morning

Oh, I know, but there's been no response here for a while.

It wasn't a criticism, just an acknowledgement that there's a lot of work involved in the upcoming migration. No offence intended at all.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Morning guys, when we have a definite date we will let you all know. It won't be this month but we're hoping for early July at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think Feedback is being monitored, I'm sure the move to the new platform is eating up everyone's time, it's a big undertaking.

I've just realised I posted this in the wrong thread, it should have been in the "what's wrong" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Morning guys, when we have a definite date we will let you all know. It won't be this month but we're hoping for early July at the moment.
    :)
    Thanks Niamh, was just wondering as we've a game in forum games that it would affect, so it's good to have an idea... and, as it may take a bit of pre-setup for the 'game reveal', I was wondering: will the post setups for tables, quotes and formatting tags , be different on the new platform?

Never mind, I signed up to a Vanilla forum just to get some idea. Post formatting seems straight forward. No 'reply formatting tags' it seems, so attempting to format a pre-setup is futile. There does not appear to be a quote function (I dont mean the "reply with quote", which is there) nor a table feature, but it may be just how that particular forum was designed. Boards seems to use both quite a bit, in a variety of forums - swimming logs, games, etc. I hope it comes with both features, if not we shall just Macguyver a work around. I suspect polls are a thing of the past?

There is a full range of emojis including a rolling eye one but no pacman :pac: :eek:

Are these the ones?

cVijxol.png

There seems to be a few more when you click on them.

(I already miss our colourful and expressive ones :o:D:p :eek: )

But we will adjust to whatever comes our way, as long as we still have Boards at the crux. :pac:

• Advertisement

Deja Boo wrote: »
    :)
    Thanks Niamh, was just wondering as we've a game in forum games that it would affect, so it's good to have an idea... and, as it may take a bit of pre-setup for the 'game reveal', I was wondering: will the post setups for tables, quotes and formatting tags , be different on the new platform?

Never mind, I signed up to a Vanilla forum just to get some idea. Post formatting seems straight forward. No 'reply formatting tags' it seems, so attempting to format a pre-setup is futile. There does not appear to be a quote function (I dont mean the "reply with quote", which is there) nor a table feature, but it may be just how that particular forum was designed. Boards seems to use both quite a bit, in a variety of forums - swimming logs, games, etc. I hope it comes with both features, if not we shall just Macguyver a work around. I suspect polls are a thing of the past?

Polls don't come as standard but there is a plugin which we have added. There is also a quote function, i.e. to display something as a quote (not quote another post) but in the standard Vanilla it's a bit hidden so you peobably won't have seen it when checking out other Vanilla forums :)

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Are these the ones?

cVijxol.png

There seems to be a few more when you click on them.

(I already miss our colourful and expressive ones :o:D:p :eek: )

But we will adjust to whatever comes our way, as long as we still have Boards at the crux. :pac:

Yes they are more or less the standard ones you will find on your mobile phone. A lot more variety of expression than our 13 trusty smilies :)

Polls don't come as standard but there is a plugin which we have added. There is also a quote function, i.e. to display something as a quote (not quote another post) but in the standard Vanilla it's a bit hidden so you peobably won't have seen it when checking out other Vanilla forums :)

Thanks for all the info Niamh! :)

(will tables be available?)

Update here, closing this thread in favour of the new one to keep things simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement