Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog ripped my carpets in rented house, need help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

There is one answer and one answer only to this:

Tell your landlord.

It's entirely up to the landlord to decide how to address this.
    You should absolutely never, under any circumstances, repair stuff/DIY in rented accommodation.
    Even if you could DIY this* (you can't), it would be completely unacceptable to make repairs yourself without landlord permission. Getting a professional to do this is equally wrong (heck, the landlord could still bill you for a replacement if they weren't happy).

*I doubt this has occurred to you, but the "spare" carpet doesn't belong to you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What state was the carpet in when you moved in?
    If it was new then either lose your deposit or see if the landlord is happy for you to recarpet (I wouldn't be)
    But if it was old then paying to get it replaced without at least talking to the landlord would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fess up and pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

There two scenarios really, op was allowed pets and landlord takes their deposit for new carpet (or pays for new carpet and keeps deposit) or two pets weren't allowed and op loses deposit and is potentially given notice for breaking conditions of lease

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

jamco91 wrote: »
    So we have a pet Doberman, he's 8 months old now but as a puppy he used the bite the upstairs carpets and tear them no matter how hard we tried to stop him. There are about 6 tear marks in total upstairs. And it's a rented accommodation so we fear we will lose the majority of the deposit if we can't find a quick and cheap fix.

Attached are some photos of it. The rips are about 4 to 6 inches in length.

Has anyone any idea of what to do? There is spare carpet stored under the stair but I think he would notice if I cut up small sections and replaced them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

If the dog was ripping up carpet then he had worked his way to that. What else did he/she chew in the house?

The damage is your responsibility and I’d start saving to replace the carpets in the affected rooms. You say that one of the damaged areas is the hallway. Does that mean the stairs are carpeted too? I wouldn’t be happy if you just replaced the affected area and left the rest to stand out like a sore thumb.

Contact the landlord, tell him what’s happened and you want to fix it. Allow them to do an inspection to see if there is any other damage (chewed window boards or deep scratches in doors spring to mind). Then come to an agreed timeline for having all damaged areas sorted.

And who’s to say that the deposit will cover it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Your best bet now is talk to Joe.

The damage is your responsibility and I’d start saving to replace the carpets in the affected rooms. You say that one of the damaged areas is the hallway. Does that mean the stairs are carpeted too? I wouldn’t be happy if you just replaced the affected area and left the rest to stand out like a sore thumb.

Contact the landlord, tell him what’s happened and you want to fix it. Allow them to do an inspection to see if there is any other damage (chewed window boards or deep scratches in doors spring to mind). Then come to an agreed timeline for having all damaged areas sorted.

And who’s to say that the deposit will cover it all?

I doubt the deposit will cover it all, you might have carpet in down stairs hall, up the stairs and then on landing. Hence why they are asking in DIY.

The cost to replace with carpet will be expensive, especially if done professionally as it should be done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I have a dog, and have recently gained a cat, and TBH I think that is fair.

The cat, whom we've only had about three months, has already scratched my leather sofas despite my best efforts with spray etc, and the dog was sick (both ends) several times in the the house. So seeing as some tenants can be very careless of things (homeowners too, of course, but that's their own problem) I think extra deposit and possibly a small rent is fair enough. It also means people who want pets don't have to buy to be allowed to have them.

Short answer: pets can do a lot of damage. Charging (reasonable) rent for them will hopefully increase the number of landlords who are prepared to let to pet owners. Win win.

(Sorry if this doesn't help the OP, for whom my advice would be NOT to replace it yourself, especially not with "spare" carpet. I know someone who tiled her balcony and lost her deposit in order to "fix" that when she left because the housing agency (this was in Belgium) didn't want it to be different to the other flats. If they can charge you to remove improvements - and they can - think how they'll react if you add on a few strips of no-longer-identical carpet!)

• Advertisement

A deposit is given over to cover damages.
    You will not receive your deposit back if it is required to cover damages.

A dog chewing up the carpets is damage.

These are fairly elementary facts.

isha wrote: »

You will find all sorts of carry on by tenants to hide damage in houses/apartment etc to try get back deposits. Looks like that is what is happening here

ineedeuro wrote: »
    I doubt the deposit will cover it all, you might have carpet in down stairs hall, up the stairs and then on landing. Hence why they are asking in DIY.

The cost to replace with carpet will be expensive, especially if done professionally as it should be done

Well I’m about to measure up for new carpet on stairs and landing. I can give the OP an indication of price when I get quote back.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

ineedeuro wrote: »
    You will find all sorts of carry on by tenants to hide damage in houses/apartment etc to try get back deposits. Looks like that is what is happening here

Carpet is probably covered in dog faeces from it dragging its arse around on it, filthy hounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Fils wrote: »
    Carpet is probably covered in dog faeces from it dragging its arse around on it, filthy hounds.

Imagined this in a frightfully posh accent. You're not Reece Mogg by any chance?

rees-mogg_topHat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

As someone who tried to rent in the past with pets, I'd happily pay this. It seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Gamergurll

Antares35 wrote: »
    As someone who tried to rent in the past with pets, I'd happily pay this. It seems fair.

I think it's fair even though it makes life more costly for us pet lovers :(
    I am lucky our landlord is a pet lover and has no problem with us keeping pets, but we rent unfurnished and one of my cats has the arms of my sofa ruined, I'm getting a new one but it will have to be a cheap ikea one because I know it won't stay looking new for long, it's really as bad as having my kids as toddlers again for the damage they do, lol!, I love my pets and would rather the damaged sofa just to keep them any day but unfortunately it is costly to keep them and I can understand why landlords won't allow them, it's just sad so many won't :(

On topic, it's easy to want to take the cheap road out but you should just start saving for a new deposit and tell the landlord, he might not be happy with a new carpet you buy so I would tell him and let him choose what to do. Pups do this but it is your responsibility at the end of the day, unfair on the landlord to just temporarily 'patch up' the carpet ^^

It does seem fair.
    My last dog lived to be 18. For her last 2 years she was happy, painfree, but becoming ever more senile and incontinent.
    It became almost a full time job for me to keep up with the cleaning after her immediately. At that time I read up on this kind of stuff and there are really big problems with cat and dog urine seeping into floorboards but even worse into subfloors and the smell being impossible to ever fully remove.
    There are stories of people having to completely remove concrete sub flooring to get rid of odours left by previous occupants. As it is my own house I kept up the efforts to mind my dog and simultaneously mind my floors!! It might not feel so urgent if one does not own the house. And then the house owner would have troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend of mine has holiday lets. He would far rather have a couple with a dog than a family with kids.

Another friend lives in a new apartment in Finland. No problem with having a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The deposit covers some damages. It’s value is limited.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    A friend of mine has holiday lets. He would far rather have a couple with a dog than a family with kids.

Another friend lives in a new apartment in Finland. No problem with having a dog.

Do they have tiled floors rather than carpets in new apartments in Finland?
    Tiling makes a huge difference to the damage pets can do compared to carpet or wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The crazy price of rent should cover a few puppy scratches. Modern landlords are like something out of the Victorian age, truly sickening

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The crazy price of rent should cover a few puppy scratches. Modern landlords are like something out of the Victorian age, truly sickening

Based on what? how do you know what mortgage is on the house, what rent the OP is paying.
    If it was so easy everyone would be buying houses and renting them out.
    Nobody should disrespect a property and not fix it back to its original standard

Oranage2 wrote: »

This is a weird argument. If rent is too high, it's too high for everyone, and people should get off their backsides and get something done about it (I don't know, start a campaign to hassle TDs, or start an association that builds low price, possibly subsidised, decent housing - there are lots of things people can do).

What high rents don't do is give the tenant the right to trash the house. FFS.

(Oh and as for a few puppy scratches, well we didn't see any pictures, but an 8 month old Doberman isn't going to be leaving just a few "puppy scratches". And I love Doberman dogs.)

volchitsa wrote: »
    Do they have tiled floors rather than carpets in new apartments in Finland?
    Tiling makes a huge difference to the damage pets can do compared to carpet or wood.

No. Very classy wood laminate.

So if it's extra for a dog then it must be double for a student or anyone with children :pac:

volchitsa wrote: »
    This is a weird argument. If rent is too high, it's too high for everyone, and people should get off their backsides and get something done about it (I don't know, start a campaign to hassle TDs, or start an association that builds low price, possibly subsidised, decent housing - there are lots of things people can do).

What high rents don't do is give the tenant the right to trash the house. FFS.

(Oh and as for a few puppy scratches, well we didn't see any pictures, but an 8 month old Doberman isn't going to be leaving just a few "puppy scratches". And I love Doberman dogs.)

Really ? There are constant campaigns on the media about outrageous rents & the fact that many people will be renting for life. There's a huge problem coming as elderly people won't be able to afford the rent & there's no where else for them to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'd just do nothing. The choice is pay for a new carpet or lose your deposit.

The Landlord will want to inspect the house, patch up as best you can and see what he says , you may lose your deposit. That's the worst case really. Decent carpet and fitting may cost more than your deposit

Isambard wrote: »
    I'd just do nothing. The choice is pay for a new carpet or lose your deposit.

The Landlord will want to inspect the house, patch up as best you can and see what he says , you may lose your deposit. That's the worst case really. Decent carpet and fitting may cost more than your deposit

I agree & having a replacement carpet fitted may not be what the landlord wants. For example he might decide to change the type of flooring.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Really ? There are constant campaigns on the media about outrageous rents & the fact that many people will be renting for life. There's a huge problem coming as elderly people won't be able to afford the rent & there's no where else for them to go.

I know that. The idea of someone coming on here though and using the housing shortage as a justification for tenants letting their dogs damage the place they're renting is what I think is weird. There's no sensible connection between those things.

Advertisement