Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Worms

• 22-06-2021 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Turning part of a gravel garden into a herbaceous border. Soil has been under plastic 5 years and is compacted, heavy clay. Have dug it and any digging in well rotted manure. Not a worm in sight, can one buy worms and introduce them to the soil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Feed the soil and the worms will get there. It's dry at the moment and worms won't be near the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fitzet68

They'll just appear when the conditions are right. I had similar with a bed in my front garden that I filled with imported topsoil. There wasn't a worm to be seen. It was astonishing how quickly they arrived once the bed was dug over and planted up! Seemingly their eggs are everywhere just waiting for conditions to be right.

Advertisement