Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

djan wrote:
    Coming up to my renewal so shopping around. Only have one year's policy holder NCB now compared to 4yrs named driver when I got my own policy last year. Some quotes are actually coming in as more due to having less years NCB even if they were named driver.

djan wrote:
    Surely with an additional NCB it should go down? If anyone has any recommendations for brokers etc please let me know. Thank you!

Did you try AXA they take both your NCB and named driver into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭djan

DeKing wrote: »

Thanks, tried that and managed to get 75 eur less. Noot too bad but honestly was expecting a bit more of a discount for a year worth of main NCB. Swear I could type up my details for a quote blind but will keep at it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

has anyone noticed fluctuation in quotes depending on day of the week and time ? weekends seem to go up, as do any out of hours .tuesdays seems to be a good day about 11am

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The AA have quoted me €200 more than last year, despite my having done fewer kms than foreseen (what with the whole working from home and all) and having one extra year no claims bonus. I've made it clear last year that I did not want to get any further communications from them (I opted out of everything available on their privacy settings and I confirmed this over the phone) - despite this, I got 3 texts, 3 emails and one phone call in the space of a week. I'm not impressed in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bit of a mad one here

Last year i paid 575, fully comp, mcb protected for my wife and i driving a 2010 megane, got my renewal at 540, got quotes from chill/123 and they came in at 436/437, so i ring Allianz
    Gave them my reg and they said 7 seater Grand Scenic, told them it was a megane and had to supply copy of logbook.
    They rang me back today, said they'd change vehicle on system and new quote is cheaper due to car, came in at 470, asked them could they match others, within 20 seconds it was 430
    Also, they said i've been over paying due to their error for last 3yrs so will be getting a refund

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If anyone needs it, FBD have a discount code, too: SAVE50.

So far, the best quote I got was a little over €500 with AIG, the worst was the guts of €1200 but I can't even remember who it was that rang because the price was just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Pekarirska

2006 Corolla Verso 1.6
    45 years old with 10 years NCB and no points.

Renewal from AIG €350 fully comp, new AIG quote €450. Chill came very close, the rest of the gang €500 plus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

2005 Honda Jazz 1.4SE CVT
    M, 47 (Full, 30y) + F, 49 (Full, 20y)
    No claims / no accidents / no convicitons
    NCD: 5 yr / 75%

+breakdown cover
    +modified, towbar declared ( see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113943219 )

SuperValu / AXA

Last year renewal - €532 TPFT, reduced to €445.00 after a lot of time wasted see above.

This year renewal: - €500.38 TPFT, reduced to €450.00 after less than ten minutes in total on the phone to insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

Pekarirska wrote: »
    2006 Corolla Verso 1.6
    45 years old with 10 years NCB and no points.

Renewal from AIG €350 fully comp, new AIG quote €450. Chill came very close, the rest of the gang €500 plus.

How do you get a 10 yr NCB

Is the max not 5 or how does it work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Terry.. wrote: »
    How do you get a 10 yr NCB

Is the max not 5 or how does it work

It used to be 5 it's 6 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It used to be 5 it's 6 years now.

So where does the 10 come from

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some insurers will continue counting up above six but other insurers may not recognise it. I've had eight shown on mine before but moved to an insurer that does six max

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭maneno

DeKing wrote: »

Thanks for this, got a good quote from them

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Vw Scirocco '10 2.0tdi 170 in log book.
    35y 6+ NCB,0 points,wife as named diver.
    Fully comp,glass,brakedown,step back .Excess 350.

Last year with Axa 515€.Renewal came at 475€.

Did few quick quotes :
    FBD with Save50 code 515
    Axa new customer 490
    Aig with code Aig20 520
    123.ie 720
    An Post 500
    Allianz 519

Rang Axa and ask for better price.Got it for 450€.Cheapest insurance ever for me.Still have 3weeks till renewal.Im going to do more qutoes this week .Will see

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yep Liberty keep counting. I have 8 years with them but thinking of moving so it will drop down to 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭maneno

Late 30s 1yr NCB, 6+ yrs named driver
    Fully Comprehensive, glass, breakdown, stepback, excess 350
    Renewal due next month: 191 Peugeot 2008
    Renewal price - 650, Zurich through broker
    FBD with Save50 code - 584
    AXA new customer - 471
    AIG - 1147 :eek:

Didn't bother looking into other insurers, going to go with AXA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    Bit of a mad one here

Last year i paid 575, fully comp, mcb protected for my wife and i driving a 2010 megane, got my renewal at 540, got quotes from chill/123 and they came in at 436/437, so i ring Allianz
    Gave them my reg and they said 7 seater Grand Scenic, told them it was a megane and had to supply copy of logbook.
    They rang me back today, said they'd change vehicle on system and new quote is cheaper due to car, came in at 470, asked them could they match others, within 20 seconds it was 430
    Also, they said i've been over paying due to their error for last 3yrs so will be getting a refund

Cheque for 157 arrived today so happy out

scudzilla wrote: »
    Cheque for 157 arrived today so happy out

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭clones1980

41 yr old female
    Full ncb
    Full licence over 10 years
    181 VW golf , 1.6
    Total Premium comprehensive,
    RSA renewal €688.79

clonesbabe wrote: »
    41 yr old female
    Full ncb
    Full licence over 10 years
    181 VW golf , 1.6
    Total Premium comprehensive,
    RSA renewal €688.79

Start shopping that's very high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭clones1980

Start shopping that's very high.

Thanks, I definitely will, theres no way Ill be paying that.

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Thanks, I definitely will, theres no way Ill be paying that.

AIG were best for me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Shlippery wrote: »
    Sorted..but at a cost.

Licence: 10+years ago
    NCB: 4 Yrs
    Car: is300h
    Zurich: €768

Bit of an increase but not many options since Liberty wouldn't change policy to adapt.- others were coming in at 800-950 as the car is 2.5L engine. Frustrating.

Moving out of Dublin City Centre to the Déise and being charged an additional €40 due to 'address factor'.

Surely a mistake.

AIG were best for me this year.

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Iv had my renewal come up and had the largest drop in premium I have seen to date.

Licence: 9 years

NCB: 5 Years

Car: 2003 BMW M3

Last years premium: €1,400 with Aviva fully comp

Renewal: €520

New Quote online: €407 with Aviva

So I saw a 72% drop in premium with the only change being a year older and an extra yaer NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Licence: 2 years

NCB: 3 Years

Car: 2018 Audi A4

Last years premium: €750 with Liberty fully comp

Renewal: €1200 (still fully comp)

New Quote online: €750 with AA fully comp

Anyone any experience, I got 2 penalty points last year for driving without reasonable consideration and liberty have charged me 100% of my premium for them, like €1,200 isnt that a bit excessive for 2 points?

If your wondering why my renewal is €1,200 thats after my NCB.

They can go f* right off if they think I am going to pay 1,200 for 2 points when AA aren't charging me for them at all (did a check of same quote without points and same price).

Or is that their way of telling me then no longer want to insure me?

Did AA ask what you got the points for? Driving without due care would be frowned upon by many insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Yes they did, they said 2 points for that would not be an issue, careless or dangerous driving on the other hand they said would but not driving without reasonable consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Has to be something wrong here. An M3 for €407?? I pay €150 more for a 318 and I'm 35 with 10+ no claims. Snap their hands off quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

I was renewing my girlfriend’s insurance a couple of months ago and decided to check my own out of curiosity and that is the quote that came up. I had to wait a couple of months until my renewal came up and luckily it had not changed. I am truly shocked and paid my renewal a month in advance! I have no idea how or why it’s this cheap, but I am not questioning it!

Advertisement