Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a work bench?

• 10-06-2021 9:24am

Hi all,

Hopefully this year I'll have a shed and a workbench so I no longer have to pull my Black&Decker table and tools outside to do some chiselling and what not.

Anyone recommend a work bench table that work fit easily in a 10x10 shed. Any recommended retailers?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

why not build one?

mossym wrote: »
    why not build one?

Hi Mossy.

I was thinking that, but it would mean I have to spend a few weeks or months with my mobile rickety bench or some time. Maybe I need to take this as an opportunity to practice my skills.

I'd be interested to see other's self-made work benches? How wood type did you use, and how long did it take you to make?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

can see that alright. it's the old dilemna, easiest way to build a bench is to have a bench to build it on. i'm planning my own build right now, and torn between a traditional bench or an MFT style bench. swaying towards the MFT right now as it think it would suit me better

if i was looking to buy i think these look pretty decent, more expensive options on the site as well, no idea on how available they are
    https://www.thecarpentrystore.com/p/-sjobergs-1450-nordic-plus-bench-c_w-storage-unit/474087

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there is/was a place down waterford direction i think which was doing a 'build your own workbench' workshop. however, i suspect most parts would be pre-cut to squeeze the build into a weekend, so it might actually be an 'assemble your own workbench' workshop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I build this over the space of an afternoon

3 x 17ft lengths of 2 x 4 and half a sheet of plywood

Tools used - Mitre saw, Drill, Driver, clamps and a square
    Could easily be made with just a hand saw

It's sturdy enough for my needs (I'm a Luthier - Guitar Maker)
    And now very heavy since I've filled the lower shelf with tools
    Added vices etc.
    Could easily be beefed up if needed

555584.jpg

• Advertisement

The Master wrote: »
    I build this over the space of an afternoon

3 x 17ft lengths of 2 x 4 and half a sheet of plywood

Tools used - Mitre saw, Drill, Driver, clamps and a square
    Could easily be made with just a hand saw

It's sturdy enough for my needs (I'm a Luthier - Guitar Maker)
    And now very heavy since I've filled the lower shelf with tools
    Added vices etc.
    Could easily be beefed up if needed

555584.jpg

Nice bench and easily configurable for add-ons. Like buying a new car, a new, fancy, purchased workbench has the dilemma of not wanting to scratch it due to costs:pac:.

I went to a woodworking session in Limerick Senior College and I got to build a neat lamp stand. Excellent sessions to correct bad habits that I developed overtime. I might look out for a similar session in the Waterford area.

I do technically have a temporary bench: amazon.co.uk. This could be my base workbench to create something bigger. I just have to stop being lazy. Although that Nordic bench linked in this thread is tempting.

Thank you all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check out paul sellers' series on making a workbench from laminated wood on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WoodHacker

you probably have more skills than me (just took to the carpentry during lockdown #1) but my guess is making one to suit yourself and the way you like to work in the space you have is the best idea. my own space is pretty small and I am on my 3rd rebuild of my bench mostly to make good use of the small space I have. version 3 will be a bit more mobile and hopefully have a space to mount a router.

Advertisement