Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinion on King vs Super King bed in this bedroom (schematic)

Options
  • 25-05-2021 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi!

Would love to get suggestions from board members on what have you found work well between King vs super king bed size in your bedrooms?

we are buying our first-ever house (dublin) and our bedroom in it would be 3.81 x 3.30m. we are trying to figure out whether we would prefer a spacious bed with a super king or a slightly more spacious room with a king.

do you have any suggestions?

i thought of making a schematic to figure out how it would look - have attached it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

(keeping this separate)
    and these were the pros and cons I've read online on mumsnet and askaboutmoney:
    pros:
    + less disruption to the other when one turns
    + space for kids to jump in to cuddle
    cons:
    - hard to move or rotate mattress by one person
    - existing bedsheets won't fit
    - will room seem small?
    - infant co-sleeper will fit close to the door

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

That's not a large bedroom and with two doorways and a wardrobe to accommodate I'd go for the smaller bed. I would prefer to have the extra floorspace over the bed space but neither of us is particularly large or a very disruptive sleeper and our kids don't often sleep in our bed. Is 'coat' in your drawing the co-sleeper? You may want to be able to move baby away from your bed but keep in your room at some point and at the moment there looks like nowhere to do that. There's also nowhere to put a desk/armchair, chest of drawers. I also like having a bedside table. Do you already have a bed you can use for now and then if you'd like to get something bigger/smaller you can change in the future?

That's not a large bedroom and with two doorways and a wardrobe to accommodate I'd go for the smaller bed. I would prefer to have the extra floorspace over the bed space but neither of us is particularly large or a very disruptive sleeper and our kids don't often sleep in our bed. Is 'coat' in your drawing the co-sleeper? You may want to be able to move baby away from your bed but keep in your room at some point and at the moment there looks like nowhere to do that. There's also nowhere to put a desk/armchair, chest of drawers. I also like having a bedside table. Do you already have a bed you can use for now and then if you'd like to get something bigger/smaller you can change in the future?

thanks for the pointers and Qs!

agreed, it is a rather small bedroom - this is the largest bedroom out of 4 in the house we are buying (dublin woes i guess!)
    the "coat" is co-sleeper, yes. weird labeling, sorry. our 1yr old sleeps on his own in another room but at some point if we have another child, he would sleep with us till 6-7 months old probably. so over the next 5-10yrs, for a few months we would have a cosleeper there.
    the existing owners have a chest of drawers in the room and another bedside table but i didn't see a need for either although of course more storage is always nice. the wardrobe along the length of the room seemed to give a lot of space. although drawers do give a different kind of space than wardrobe...
    since we are moving from rental to our first-ever house purchase, we don't have a bed to use for now and would directly need to buy something.
    although we will use other bedrooms for office space, i would also like to have an armchair in the bedroom.

would you say that moving from super king to king would enable space for an armchair and/or a chest of drawers and a bed side table?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You could also look at continental bed sizes. King is 150x200 which I find a bit cramped. Super King is 180x200, plenty of space! Our bed is 160x200 which gives you a bit more space but doesn't dominate the room like a Super King.

You could also look at continental bed sizes. King is 150x200 which I find a bit cramped. Super King is 180x200, plenty of space! Our bed is 160x200 which gives you a bit more space but doesn't dominate the room like a Super King.

ah didn't know about continental sizes, interesting

• Advertisement

To be fair, it's bigger than my own bedroom! I have a regular double (145x190) which was given to us by a family member that didn't need it anymore. I would love to swap for something bigger but our room is also my work from home space at the moment so can't manage it for now. I think part of the problem you have is that the two doors, the wardrobe, and the windows really limit your options for layout. You could put a set of drawers between the two doors but I don't think it would make sense to have an armchair there. It would be in the way. If you have enough space but need drawers you can get metal options from IKEA that you can put inside your wardrobe.

What size bed do you have now and are you happy with it? The euro sizes might be a good compromise but you'll limit yourself in terms of where you can buy bedding.

To be fair, it's bigger than my own bedroom! I have a regular double (145x190) which was given to us by a family member that didn't need it anymore. I would love to swap for something bigger but our room is also my work from home space at the moment so can't manage it for now. I think part of the problem you have is that the two doors, the wardrobe, and the windows really limit your options for layout. You could put a set of drawers between the two doors but I don't think it would make sense to have an armchair there. It would be in the way. If you have enough space but need drawers you can get metal options from IKEA that you can put inside your wardrobe.

What size bed do you have now and are you happy with it? The euro sizes might be a good compromise but you'll limit yourself in terms of where you can buy bedding.

i see what you mean about armchair between ensuite door vs bedroom door would be a hindrance, it would come in the way. a chest of drawers would fit more easily.

we are moving to this house next month and in our rental apt have double beds. before that we were in the US and had king-equivalent (US "Queen") beds. back then we felt that size was small and we aspired to buy a "Cal King" which is bigger than super king. on moving to ireland and renting here, we found the double bed to be rather small but eventually got used to it after we had to learn to fit our baby and protective pillows into that one double bed. the current owners have a king there and also had a super king in the past when their kids were younger.

thanks for the tip on ikea metal options - do you mean something like this: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/helmer-drawer-unit-on-castors-white-10251045/ ?

ya the euro size compromise might make linen find a bit tricky but i assumed we could buy everything one size bigger (super king). i haven't looked at those options yet though since DFS, Caseys, Diamond, Fineline, etc. didn't see to have those.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

We put a super king in a similar sized room and tbh it was too big

We’ve since gone with king size and the room is much better. We’re both big enough and there’s still loads of room in the bed

Feeling cramped moving around your room won’t be a good feeling and you’ll both need something at the bedside for phones, glasses, books whatever

Dodge wrote: »
    We put a super king in a similar sized room and tbh it was too big

We’ve since gone with king size and the room is much better. We’re both big enough and there’s still loads of room in the bed

Feeling cramped moving around your room won’t be a good feeling and you’ll both need something at the bedside for phones, glasses, books whatever

thanks for sharing! what else did you choose to put in the room apart from the king size bed? (you might've seen notes on drawers, armchair, bedside tables above)

I meant this type of thing for drawers: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/basket-drawer-units-46081/

Ah well, they like everything bigger over there! I remember one American visiting saying that all the houses and buildings here look too squished together, which was funny because I think everything over there looks too far apart! Seriously though, I also lived there for years and I found their beds very big and very high. Sleeping in a California King was almost like having separate beds.

• Advertisement

I meant this type of thing for drawers: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/basket-drawer-units-46081/

Ah well, they like everything bigger over there! I remember one American visiting saying that all the houses and buildings here look too squished together, which was funny because I think everything over there looks too far apart! Seriously though, I also lived there for years and I found their beds very big and very high. Sleeping in a California King was almost like having separate beds.
    true, apart from aspiring for a bigger house, i like the more rational sizes in ireland. things aren't too far away for drive/walk, it doesn't take ages to walk across a road, you don't have 4 lanes to decide to which to turn into, cars are not as big as elephants, etc.

got it - thanks for the tip on adding drawers to the wardrobe.

brio09 wrote: »
    thanks for sharing! what else did you choose to put in the room apart from the king size bed? (you might've seen notes on drawers, armchair, bedside tables above)

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/nordli-headboard-white-10372976/

We now have this as we don’t have lamp shades and gives us a ton of room now that we’ve taken out the side tables

Apart from the built in wardrobes (and the bed) that’s all we have the in the too.

Dodge wrote: »
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/nordli-headboard-white-10372976/

We now have this as we don’t have lamp shades and gives us a ton of room now that we’ve taken out the side tables

Apart from the built in wardrobes (and the bed) that’s all we have the in the too.

nice, very interesting product! thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

We got a super king and I genuinely think it's the best thing we've ever bought. It just doesn't get old having that much space in the bed. Although in fairness, that's pretty much the only time I'm in the bedroom so I don't need too much space otherwise.

I was going to get shelves either side but went for drawers in the end. Definitely possible to find a work around if you decide to go for it.

Con- changing the bedsheets is a pain!!

Also, we only looked at the size of the room when buying our bed and not the height of the stairs. There's a turn on ours and the mattress was nigh on impossible to shove up the stairs, including bending it around the turn. Absolute nightmare. Mattress delivery guys wouldn't even attempt it and it took a whole evening for 3 of us to get it done. I still think the universe bended the laws of physics that night just for us!!

Totally worth it in my view but it's definitely worth taking your stairs into account.

Falling wrote: »
    We got a super king and I genuinely think it's the best thing we've ever bought. It just doesn't get old having that much space in the bed. Although in fairness, that's pretty much the only time I'm in the bedroom so I don't need too much space otherwise.

I was going to get shelves either side but went for drawers in the end. Definitely possible to find a work around if you decide to go for it.

Con- changing the bedsheets is a pain!!

Also, we only looked at the size of the room when buying our bed and not the height of the stairs. There's a turn on ours and the mattress was nigh on impossible to shove up the stairs, including bending it around the turn. Absolute nightmare. Mattress delivery guys wouldn't even attempt it and it took a whole evening for 3 of us to get it done. I still think the universe bended the laws of physics that night just for us!!

Totally worth it in my view but it's definitely worth taking your stairs into account.

oh wow, measuring distances on the stairs feels tricky. we are probably similar in the sense that only sleep in the bedroom so not a lot of need for rest of the space. will need to think more. thanks for sharing - love hearing about how comfortable and big the super king feels!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

You'll probably have a rough idea even by looking. We hadn't moved in and had only seen the house twice by the time we ordered it, so didn't even think to look. Disastrous! Funny though. I still get a jolt of disbelief and satisfaction walking down the stairs.

You can also get them in two halves that zip together. My brother got one and he said it's amazing. No difference to the comfort according to him but a lot easier to move if you ever need to.

It's brilliant though, it was some of the best money we ever spent. Just make sure you go and have a lie down on the mattress before you buy it. Our mattress was way more expensive than our bed and it makes life so much nicer!

Falling wrote: »
    You'll probably have a rough idea even by looking. We hadn't moved in and had only seen the house twice by the time we ordered it, so didn't even think to look. Disastrous! Funny though. I still get a jolt of disbelief and satisfaction walking down the stairs.

You can also get them in two halves that zip together. My brother got one and he said it's amazing. No difference to the comfort according to him but a lot easier to move if you ever need to.

It's brilliant though, it was some of the best money we ever spent. Just make sure you go and have a lie down on the mattress before you buy it. Our mattress was way more expensive than our bed and it makes life so much nicer!

thanks, ya the zipping two up thing is pretty interesting!
    is lying down on mattress an option now?
    for the mattress, we researched online and were going to buy emma some-model (forgot which now).

ended up deciding today - mainly because the room is small but also because we wanted a bedside something on both sides and some flexibility to move things around, we went with King.
    i feel like since this is our forever home, we are hopefully able to extend the 1st floor and all bedrooms in it at some point to be able to fit in a super king more comfortably. for now felt like we have adjusted on a double so will be happy on a king.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I'm too late so with my two cents! :) A lot to be said for floating bed type idea as in mattress and platform under it super king size but sitting on a double size base, gives an extra foot or more of space under the bed on three sides so doesn't look as huge in a room.

Made one for my daughter, easy then to assemble the base in the room, mind you hopefully she doesn't need to take it out of there again!

phormium wrote: »
    I'm too late so with my two cents! :) A lot to be said for floating bed type idea as in mattress and platform under it super king size but sitting on a double size base, gives an extra foot or more of space under the bed on three sides so doesn't look as huge in a room.

Made one for my daughter, easy then to assemble the base in the room, mind you hopefully she doesn't need to take it out of there again!

ooo innovative! when i google search for images for floating bed i find beds where the platforms are attached to the wall with no base at all . guess that is another option too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Hopefully this does derail the thread but want to ask a very similar question.

New bedroom is 3.8m by 3.8m so 14.44m2 in total. Sockets etc. set up for a super king bed but now reading this thread am a bit worried that it will be too big.
    We do have a seperate walk in so that should make some difference as part of the room won’t be taken up with a wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Adverts is full of super king beds being sold because they’re too big for a lot of rooms. I think if you have doubts about whether room can take it, go for a king.

We bought super king expecting our kids to be in with us but they never are. And it’s nearly too big for us although fine in the room.

Edit to say if your wardrobe is separate you might be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hopefully this does derail the thread but want to ask a very similar question.

New bedroom is 3.8m by 3.8m so 14.44m2 in total. Sockets etc. set up for a super king bed but now reading this thread am a bit worried that it will be too big.
    We do have a seperate walk in so that should make some difference as part of the room won’t be taken up with a wardrobe.

If all you’re doing is sleeping in the room then as long as there’s enough room on each side to get in and out I’d go super king all day long. We love ours, couldn’t go back. Sooo much room!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

brio09 wrote: »
    ooo innovative! when i google search for images for floating bed i find beds where the platforms are attached to the wall with no base at all . guess that is another option too

I've seen those type but that looks far too complicated to support! There might be another name for what I am calling a floating bed, maybe platform?

Anyway this isnt the super king one but an ordinary double bed in a spare room (excuse mess, dumping ground during some house works). When you walk into the room you don't really see the base at all so it gives the illusion of more space as you can see more floor, I took this photo from low down so you can see the base.

Could easily be done too by buying a double base and just building wooden platform on it for the larger mattress, wouldn't have to make the whole thing. I have pics somewhere of the innards of them, taken in case I have to do another!

phormium wrote: »
    I've seen those type but that looks far too complicated to support! There might be another name for what I am calling a floating bed, maybe platform?

Anyway this isnt the super king one but an ordinary double bed in a spare room (excuse mess, dumping ground during some house works). When you walk into the room you don't really see the base at all so it gives the illusion of more space as you can see more floor, I took this photo from low down so you can see the base.

Could easily be done too by buying a double base and just building wooden platform on it for the larger mattress, wouldn't have to make the whole thing. I have pics somewhere of the innards of them, taken in case I have to do another!
    thanks for sharing the snap - ya it does look good and feels easier to make / maintain / worry about than a complete-floating bed

L'prof wrote: »
    If all you’re doing is sleeping in the room then as long as there’s enough room on each side to get in and out I’d go super king all day long. We love ours, couldn’t go back. Sooo much room!

Well that’s it - we have super king now in rented apartment - and while it’s a bit oversized for the room it’s in we still love it . Hopefully no regrets with it anyway!

Dediced on super king anyway - let’s hope it works out l��

awesome!

Either way, it’s not a decision for life. You’ll either enjoy it or change soon enough. Neither option is terrible. Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement