Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Virgin Price increase

• 27-01-2021 11:13pm

Just seen Virgin Media are 'going the extra mile' and putting prices up for everyone. :rolleyes:

vmpriceup.jpg

I'll give them a ring looking for a discount, or I'll be saying my goodbyes. It's like a parody.

Doesn't say how much they're going up by, but reading online i read something about 4%, so approximately it's something like €2.50-3.00 per month? Has anyone been contacted yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bazmo

This seems to be for VM in the UK.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/PriceChange2020-info

I think the reason why we haven't gotten the annual hike yet is because of this (scroll down towards bottom of article for VM bit):

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-decides-against-passing-on-vat-reduction-to-customers-1.4346565

Bazmo wrote: »
    This seems to be for VM in the UK.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/PriceChange2020-info

I think the reason why we haven't gotten the annual hike yet is because of this (scroll down towards bottom of article for VM bit):

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-decides-against-passing-on-vat-reduction-to-customers-1.4346565

Ah, that's good news, so. (well - it's something, anyway!).

Cheers for clarifying that Bazmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

so the fact there was a stealth price increase is good news? just shows how greedy they are.

I swapped over to Vodafone on openeir network and happy with the change. 40 euro per month for a gbit connection, I was only on 250mbit with virgin as i was sick of constant prices increases. Eventually enough was enough and I swapped over, happy to be rid of them. Cant complain about the virgin network at the 250mbit level at least, I had been using it for past 9 years and can only remember a handful of times there was issues.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

This has the added bonus for VM that customers can't end their contract early.
    I'm currently with them for TV and BB and will be dropping the TV in favour of Freesat and most likely will look at FTTH when my contract finished this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

I just received an email from Virgin

The price of your broadband is going up in 2021
    We're getting in touch to let you know that from August 21st 2021 the price of your broadband will increase by €4.00 a month.

So I will be paying 68,50€ for only 240Mb Broadband when new customers can get it for 60€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I just received an email from Virgin

The price of your broadband is going up in 2021
    We're getting in touch to let you know that from August 21st 2021 the price of your broadband will increase by €4.00 a month.

So I will be paying 68,50€ for only 240Mb Broadband when new customers can get it for 60€

Which is still a ripoff, can't wait to get away from these price gougers they're taking the complete piss at this stage. Roll on Siro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I got nothing from them so far about any price increase but the thing about price increases is that they're a breach of contract as they've upped the price you agreed to so you have the option of cancelling their service once they do without penalty.

Eir finally got fibre broadband into my estate late last year so Im considering them as their combined fibre broadband and mobile 5G package is half of what im paying atm, Virgins service is extremely reliable but I might not renew a contract with them this time around simply as it would have my spending on broadband and I no longer need the TV from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got the email today, so do we start the ringing and sure im thinking of leaving (wink wink) and get offered a deal?

Also got a letter to say in two weeks ill have no net/phone etc as doing works in my area, might stop getting half the speed all the time

Infini wrote: »
    I got nothing from them so far about any price increase but the thing about price increases is that they're a breach of contract as they've upped the price you agreed to so you have the option of cancelling their service once they do without penalty.

Eir finally got fibre broadband into my estate late last year so Im considering them as their combined fibre broadband and mobile 5G package is half of what im paying atm, Virgins service is extremely reliable but I might not renew a contract with them this time around simply as it would have my spending on broadband and I no longer need the TV from them.

Only if they increase it by more than a certain amount. Sky always play it clever keeping it slightly below the treshold. I wonder what the penalty is for breaking the contract with VM?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

I've gotten no price increase from Virgin Media yet but to be honest, both Eir and Siro now have fibre here now so I'll be quitting with Virgin if they do, might be quitting with them anyway due to price anyway.. Siro doing deal with quite a few providers

• Advertisement

tigger1962 wrote: »
    I've gotten no price increase from Virgin Media yet but to be honest, both Eir and Siro now have fibre here now so I'll be quitting with Virgin if they do, might be quitting with them anyway due to price anyway.. Siro doing deal with quite a few providers

Siro is the way forward for me anyway, as you say having so many providers is great for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Which is still a ripoff, can't wait to get away from these price gougers they're taking the complete piss at this stage. Roll on Siro!!
    tigger1962 wrote: »

Lucky you guys, Eir and Siro does not offer Fiber in my address :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Lucky you guys, Eir and Siro does not offer Fiber in my address :(

Same here

15 or do from Eir Verus 500 or so from Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭bonjurkes

I was paying €59 for 250, and got told my price will increase €4. Can someone tell why internet prices are so freaking expensive that it's considered luxury. Who does pay €60+ for 250 connection in Europe, I really really wonder. These prices are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i only stay with them as to me the broadband is very good

but my friend recently got in sky and its pretty good

im already with sky for tv so might look at upgrading to a package

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

I'm completely fed up with VM and their (twice?) yearly price increases for the exact same service. Anyone have any historical data on their price increases? I'm going to ring tomorrow and cancel, I presume with the premium price that they charge their customer service is top notch with no wait times?!

Also is the same E4 increase justified for all customers, 1000Mb vs a 250Mb customer, not very equal is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

bonjurkes wrote: »
    I was paying €59 for 250, and got told my price will increase €4. Can someone tell why internet prices are so freaking expensive that it's considered luxury. Who does pay €60+ for 250 connection in Europe, I really really wonder. These prices are crazy.

Everything is a rip off here and we just take it, enough I say.

I got this €4 increase email today. I don't mind paying €60 per month for internet, to be honest (which is what I pay at the moment). And I believe, with a budget of €60 I have several options. So I'll just ask them to keep me at €60, or cancel my service.

€60 seems reasonable to me.

Everything is a rip off here and we just take it, enough I say.

i agree

but to be honest , no other broadband comes close to theirs for the price

all be it €60

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thank goodness Siro was available in my area. Went from paying the bones of 70 per month with VM to 35 per month with Pure Telecom.

https://siro.ie/

Keep your hopes up!

• Advertisement

KKV wrote: »
    I got this €4 increase email today. I don't mind paying €60 per month for internet, to be honest (which is what I pay at the moment). And I believe, with a budget of €60 I have several options. So I'll just ask them to keep me at €60, or cancel my service.

€60 seems reasonable to me.

If VM is your only option yes it is, otherwise it's very expensive. You can play hard ball and go for the cancellation, you've 30 days to go without blinking, you'll definitely get one of the half price offers for either 6 or 9 months. Go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've just gotten the increase notification, and a quick search suggests that I can only get Virgin Media here as I don't have a traditional phone line :(

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

You don't have to have a traditional phone line to get fibre?

However, tt may be that your in a similar situation to myself where you are living in an urban area where virgin are the only provider. (I find their service to be flawless, but the price is too high in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭deravarra

Looking at the 1 Gig service with phone, they will be charging about €92.
    That seems colossal when looking at the likes of any 1 Gig Siro offering.

With Siro and the National Broadband Plan pushing across the country, why is VM insistent on getting their pound of flesh from (very often) loyal customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

1huge1 wrote: »
    You don't have to have a traditional phone line to get fibre?

However, tt may be that your in a similar situation to myself where you are living in an urban area where virgin are the only provider. (I find their service to be flawless, but the price is too high in my opinion).

No fibre here. Just DSL (which needs a phone line) or Cable.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭dam099

deravarra wrote: »
    Looking at the 1 Gig service with phone, they will be charging about €92.
    That seems colossal when looking at the likes of any 1 Gig Siro offering.

With Siro and the National Broadband Plan pushing across the country, why is VM insistent on getting their pound of flesh from (very often) loyal customers?

Siro must not be overlapping them that much yet, not enough to care anyway. NBI wont have have overlap by design (if you can get VM out of scope for the National Broadband Plan).

Either an expansion of Siro into more of their areas and the OpenEir urban rollout or both will probably eventually force them to compete more on price but I expect they want to milk it for as long as possible and recover some of their capital outlay.

Noxegon wrote: »
    No fibre here. Just DSL (which needs a phone line) or Cable.

how is it in this day and age they don't have fibre everywhere ??

shambles of an organisation

how is it in this day and age they don't have fibre everywhere ??

shambles of an organisation

Privatisation and subsequent asset stripping that's why.

So I'll just ask them to keep me at €60

... Which they agreed to do, and were fairly polite about it. Tried hesitantly to push me to a more expensive package, but rescinded fairly quickly. Overall phone call (including waiting, putting my account number in, etc) was 5mins 58secs and has saved me €48 per year. :)

• Advertisement

... Which they agreed to do, and were fairly polite about it. Tried hesitantly to push me to a more expensive package, but rescinded fairly quickly. Overall phone call (including waiting, putting my account number in, etc) was 5mins 58secs and has saved me €48 per year. :)

The minimum they give off is 15, you could have gotten that in a heartbeat. Are you tied to a new contract now? Power is off here for the day Siro are working strong, one of the lads was telling me it should be live within 2 months as they're the final crew to be used.

Advertisement