Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed on getting (balance of) bond back

Options
  • 06-04-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice or tips, or to hear if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I moved to Melbourne in July last year, and moved into a 2-bedroom apartment with someone I knew from my time doing regional work a few years back. I sublet the room from the other person (who was the only name on the lease) & I paid a bond of $1050 up front before I moved in, directly to her.

Unfortunately, things went a bit sour between us & I was left with no choice but to move out. This person had a friend of theirs lined up to move in & actually spent nearly a month living in our living room while they waited for me to move on. Luckily I found somewhere to stay short term, and I have since moved back to Sydney from Melbourne.

When I left, the agreement was that I would get my bond back (less my share of bills that were due at the end of January) in 2 payments. I got the first $500 around about the time it was due (a couple of days late, apparently due to money being transferred from a different bank to my own). However, since then all I have had is a stream of excuses each week as to why I haven't received the other half: family problems, problems with the transfer, awaiting money to be transferred from overseas.

Its now more than 2 months since I moved out, and as I mentioned I'm no longer in Melbourne to deal with them directly. Can anyone advise if I have any legal right of recourse here? Can/will the police do anything? Is there a govt body who I could contact? As you can imagine, with it being a short term arrangement I didn't sign anything and it was supposed to be an informal, friendly arrangement. I'd rather not waive the $400+ dollars I'm due (I still don't know exactly how much I'm due as they won't tell me how much the bills were) but I'm running out of hope & patience...

Any helpful advice greatfully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vill@in wrote: »
    I got the first $500 around about the time it was due (a couple of days late, apparently due to money being transferred from a different bank to my own).
    FWIW, that's standard. Transfers from differnet banks, especially the first one
    Can anyone advise if I have any legal right of recourse here? Can/will the police do anything? Is there a govt body who I could contact? As you can imagine, with it being a short term arrangement I didn't sign anything and it was supposed to be an informal, friendly arrangement.
    Their name is on the lease, and I assume its their name registered with the bond board. Technically, you don't have a bond, your housemate does. The money you gave her was in good faith and its up to her to repay in good faith.

I don't think you've much hope tbh. but don't take my word for that either.
    It's not a criminal matter, so the police wont care. You could contact the bond board or the ombudsman, who would be able to advice you what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

vill@in wrote: »
    Hi all,

However, since then all I have had is a stream of excuses each week as to why I haven't received the other half: family problems, problems with the transfer, awaiting money to be transferred from overseas.

While it's unfortunate that you didn't have any kind of rental agreement in writing, the fact that they are making excuses for the delay in payment is really an admission that they do indeed owe you the money. Hopefully you have these admissions at least in the form of email, and not just verbally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I was in the same situation. I paid 650dollars as a bond directly to the person on the lease. Everything was done in good faith, my name wasnt on any bills etc. When it came time to leaving i was told that the bond would be returned when another person took my room (they paid their bond which goes directly to me). I thought nothing of it. I would of considered her a good friend, afterall we spent 1 year living together and you get close to someone in that amount of time.

First came the excuses, then more excuses then she just cut all communications completely. I had moved on and wasnt in a position to start knocking on doors nor would i have wanted to. The fact I hadnt signed anything meant i was in a pretty bad position. I could of went either the legal route or write it off and chalk it up to experience. Although it was a decent amount of money i just wrote it off. legal fees would of exceeded the amount returned. It just wasnt worth the energy.

She worked in the coporate world for oil companies, tabacco etc so wasnt short money.

When it comes to money you just can't trust some people

Advertisement