Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Far Cry 3

• 10-06-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Now that they have announced Far Cry 3 at E3 the other day, what does everyone think about it?

Personally I love the Far Cry games and this is really good news for me. The second game had it share of problems but was a damn good game.
    I just hope that they have fixed the problems from the second game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Looks like they learned from the second game which was by all accounts except graphics, a disaster. This looks more in line with the first game and I'm really liking the bad guy in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

This looks more in line with the first game
    I was half expecting to find out our name was Jack Carver and that they were going to remake the first game.

I did like the fire mechanics of the second game too, something I hope they keep. Although how that would work in a jungle setting I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I loved the vast open expansiveness of Far Cry 1, it had great replay value, as I used to go back and play levels over and over again, completing them different ways each time, often with hilarious results (i.e. driving a jeep up a hill, and ramping it into the air, so it would crash into an oncoming helicopter, just as I jumped out of the jeep, landing in the water below).

I'm currently playing through Far Cry 2 and it's frustratingly big and open - often times I'm running around looking for a car to cross the vast open levels so that I can take out a target on the other side of the map. When I do eventually find a car, it gets shot to bits by mercs that are chasing me through the jungle, so I have to abandon it and either run for my life, or stay and fight.

I also loved the humour in Far Cry 1, and I miss it in Far Cry 2, which is a more "serious" game.

Saying that, this trailer looks nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I enjoyed Far Cry 2. It had its problem with repetition, every checkpoint was the same thing over and over, but then so did Halo and that is considered a master piece. FC2 was far better than Crysis 2 and I'm glad they are keeping Far Cry 3 in the jungle where it belongs rather than fudging New York city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Has this forum become overrun with kids who don't know the past?
    How can anyone compare this or FarCry 2 to FarCry?

It only shares the name, everything else is completely new and completely unreleated and by a different developer. FarCry was made by Crytek, the crowd who make Crysis. Its sad when they can't even think of a new name to market and try to hype a game on the good name of the first (which was the Crysis pc melter of its time). Its the same with Operation Flashpoint, this marketing shít happens all to often.

FarCry 2 was ok, graphically it was very good, but being so repeditive I couldn't be arsed finishing it and gave up before I got half way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Far Cry 2 was not a sequel in any way to 1,

The maleria thing was annoying,

The map was too big, sure you could get buses around the edge of the map and drive to where you needed to but it still took the guts of 5/10 mins to get too.

When you where driving straight away someone in a car would see you from 2 miles through dense forrest and start shooting you ramming you and then you'd have to get out fix your engine all the while making sure you didn't die,

It's one of the few games i've ever played where i didn't bother finishing and traded it in.

Terrible game, would'nt go near the new one was burned by 2.

And no super human animal powers! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PogMoThoin wrote: »

It's pretty understandable that it's being compared to Far Cry 1. It's a first person shooter, set on an Island which looks quite similar to the 1st game, it's an open world (at least in the same way the 1st one was), oh, and it's called Far Cry. I know it's a different developer, but that doesn't mean there aren't a hell of a lot of similarities in the game. They are obviously going for the feel of the 1st game.

Let's just hope there are no bloody mutants.

It only shares the name, everything else is completely new and completely unreleated and by a different developer.
    I was only referring to them as a series of games, however disjointed that series is. I knew the history of the games and the developers but I thought it would be interesting to discuss what we liked about the other two FarCry games since this one is being made by the same developer as FarCry2 and it seems to be trying to recapture what made FarCry1 so great.

Hopefully FarCry3 can manage to take the best parts of both those games and produce something that could be truly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

A more apt question is "how could anyone not compare this to Far Cry?".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It only shares the name, everything else is completely new and completely unreleated and by a different developer.

Same developer as Far Cry 2 so you need to adjust your point. I must be one of the very few who loved Far Cry 2, preferred it over the first one tbh. It had it's frustrations but once you got some decent weapons and learnt to plan your approach to missions it was a thing of beauty and true addiction for me. I'm hoping that they keep a lot of what was in Far Cry 2 while removing some of the frustrations. A simple ability to disguise yourself or mark the vehicle you are driving as part of a particular faction to get through areas without being attacked would solve much of it as it was obvious in Far Cry 2 they had to have re-spawning enemies or the place would be empty very quickly. They just need to get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

mewso wrote: »
    Same developer as Far Cry 2 so you need to adjust your point. I must be one of the very few who loved Far Cry 2, preferred it over the first one tbh. It had it's frustrations but once you got some decent weapons and learnt to plan your approach to missions it was a thing of beauty and true addiction for me. I'm hoping that they keep a lot of what was in Far Cry 2 while removing some of the frustrations. A simple ability to disguise yourself or mark the vehicle you are driving as part of a particular faction to get through areas without being attacked would solve much of it as it was obvious in Far Cry 2 they had to have re-spawning enemies or the place would be empty very quickly. They just need to get it right.

I have a similar opinion of far cry 2 as the above. Never played far cry 1. Might give it a whirl so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd imagine much the same way one compares one episode of The Outer Limits to a completely unrelated episode of The Outer Limits , where the characters and plot are totally different?

Trailer looks nice. I liked the first-person nature of the takedowns. Bad guy really has something going for him. As long as they can avoid shoehorning aliens, zombies and genetically enhanced gorillas into the last half of the game, they could be onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

You cant turn a corner in Far Cry 2 without bandits crashing into your car and having to kill them, then repair your car, find a new gun because the one you had just exploded in your hands, checking your map again because you were too distracted by the malaria

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

As much as I loved the original Farcry the sequel was woeful. The constant check points you had to fight through to get anywhere which re-spawned 5, the psychic enemy that could spot you miles away, the sheer distances you needed to travel for each mission which would be fine if not for checkpoints and a mindreading enemy army and the retarded damage to weapons which caused them to break way to fast.

All these and the malaria bull**** add up to what would normally be a bad FPS game but tack on the most retarded story ever where your end game options are
    blow yourself up or shoot yourself in the head
    for no other reason than the villain told you to do so :eek:

And lets not forget this being a Ubisoft game it will come with some poxy DRM to screw over the people who buy it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It only shares the name, everything else is completely new and completely unreleated and by a different developer. FarCry was made by Crytek, the crowd who make Crysis. Its sad when they can't even think of a new name to market and try to hype a game on the good name of the first (which was the Crysis pc melter of its time). Its the same with Operation Flashpoint, this marketing shít happens all to often.

FarCry 2 was ok, graphically it was very good, but being so repeditive I couldn't be arsed finishing it and gave up before I got half way.

The properties that make a game FarCry-ish are large open jungles to explore. FarCry 2 did away with the plot of FarCry, but the spirit so to speak was the same (and the plot was pretty stupid anyway so no great loss)

This is true of Crysis as well. Crytek themselves some what bucked the trend with Crysis 2 which is why I'm looking forward to FarCry 3 continuing the "doing s**t in a big jungle" feel of the original FarCry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Constant check points: which you could avoid with some simple planning using the map.

Psychic Enemy: a problem sometimes especially them being able to shoot through walls in some cases but with decent weapons less and less a problem.

Sheer distances for each mission: Bus Stops, map, planning.

Retarded damage to weapons: Buy a weapon at a gun shop and you have a new replacement for that weapon at every shop. Pickup weapons from enemies and they would be inclined to break. So guess what. Buy the weapons, re-stock before each mission. Buy the reliability upgrades and have them fail almost never.

Malaria: amazes me how overblown the complaints are about this. It happened very rarely until towards the end as it got worse.
    At the end of the game you were about to die from the malaria. You were dead anyway and had no choice but to do something to help the refugees

I understand peoples frustration with the game and some things weren't made clear enough in the game. Once I figured some of it out it was a better game and made more sense. I actually thought the story, while the ending was a bit of a downer, was pretty clever. As you go on through the game you are doing worse and worse things and getting sicker to boot. One mission you destroy a consigment of medicine that can cure malaria ffs. It's a dark game and it causes discomfort as you go further in. You are becoming as bad as the enemy you seek. Unfortunately it's failings and frustrations caused many to miss these sides to the game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hopefully, they forget about those awful checkpoints from Far Cry 2, they made the game unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I recently played Far Cry 2 and I think that it was a noble failure. As a first-person game with various mechanics, it worked. The vistas were stunningly beautiful. The narrative and story were, at least, not too far away from the material upon which they were based and the buddy system worked. The driving and gliding was intense and fun. Stealthily infiltrating an enemy camp and silently killing enemies was very satisfying (no surprise with Clint Hocking of Splinter Cell at the helm). The faults in the game appear when the game turns from just a first-person game to a First-Person Shooter.

The combat is uninteresting and complemented by banal AI-enemies. The combat in its worst-case is virtually unplayable: fighting the AI in the foliage where they can see you but you cannot, them. The combat in the game is at its best when the enemies are situated in a camp or base with plenty of cover and flanking opportunities for the player; however, the AI does not exhibit, and is not equipped with, any interesting behaviour.

This fault in the core of the game, combat, is exacerbated by enemy checkpoints and enemy road patrols which try to force you in to uninteresting battles.

The other fault with the game is the sandbox: too large and too poorly-designed. The size of a space is relative to the speed at which the player can move. In Far Cry 2, the player and vehicles are slow. Everything should be faster in the game but it isn't and the large sandbox appears even more expansive. The topography of the sandbox paradoxically creates linear paths in parts of it and invisible barriers in others.

One the apparent criticisms of the game is that things break, but I found that when something breaks, especially a weapon in combat, and the game placed a constraint on the player, the game started to become interesting. When a weapon broke or a gun jammed in battle, you were solving the problem of how to acquire a comparable new weapon or you were re-thinking your plans because you assumed a gun would work and it didn't.

It is an interesting game, but you have to keep trying very hard to ignore its faults. Clint Hocking is not on-board for Far Cry 3. So, it'll be a different, (read: inferior) game unless they bring in a developer who can fix the banal combat design. Trailer was very good, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

That was anoter point that i really disliked, The foiliage and the "predator" enemies,

You'd be sneaking along being really careful, snipe an enemy then 2 guys would be shooting you from the bushes, before you could find them you'd be dead. Even with a stealth kill they'd find you or just walking along. Pain in the arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

budhabob wrote: »
    I have a similar opinion of far cry 2 as the above. Never played far cry 1. Might give it a whirl so.

You should probably play FC1 before stating your opinion on FC2 ;)

They are so different in my opinion. FC2 was a complete sham of a game. My expectations were high, but I was very disappointed with it.

FC3 looks promising, I think I will wait for the reviews to come out before I make a purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish_whiskey

I really must start playing more games. They released FC2 which looks amazing, never played the first one. Now that BFBC3 is also coming out, ive never played any of them. FC2 really had us on the edge though when they were showing it, I was like "WTF" is this about so now I must go and play the first one :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What a cool trailer,will more than likely have to up upgrade though :/

Em, it looks like this has gotten it's release date. A leaked trailer has appeared on line and is currently doing the rounds, despite Ubisoft's attempts to remove it from sites.

Gonna be released on September 6th 2012. Trailer looks good although it's just a CGI trailer that sets up the premise of the game. Makes me want it even more, even though there's no in-engine footage but then again, there doesn't need to be to get me all excited for this.
    Here's the teaser trailer (all 16 seconds of it) for the proper trailer that will be doing the rounds tomorrow when it's released.
    NSFW stuff in there, fyi.

EDIT: here's a link to the actual trailer. All 2 and a half minutes of it.
    http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/02/far-cry-3-cinematic-trailer-leaked.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

If its twice as good as FC2 it'll be still ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

omerin wrote: »
    If its twice as good as FC2 it'll be still ****e

Ah now, FC2 was great, just too over-repetitive and respawning enemies ruined it.

Clip doesn't give much, but it did get me slightly excited!!

Edit: Ok, now i'm excited! I know few games usually live up to their CG hype, but i'm keeping an open mind!

Updated my post above with a working link for the actual trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If it's as good as Far Cry then I will give it a go. Far Cry 2 was muck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

http://www.the-arcade.ie/?p=1108

This site has the full trailer, complete with release date- september 6th.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

bubblefett wrote: »
    http://www.the-arcade.ie/?p=1108

This site has the full trailer, complete with release date- september 6th.

That's awesome,will definitely have to upgrade my graphics card and processor though :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

budhabob wrote: »

Great fúcking game..
    You can't even begin to compare Far Cry to Far Cry 2 which was the biggest pile of shíte ever...after about an hour I uninstalled it and threw it away.
    It was so bad I wouldnt' even give it to my brother.

Far Cry on the other hand is a fantastic game with great replayability and the MP lan play was great fun as well.
    hint...listen to your enemies having chats etc...very funny..

Advertisement