Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can anyone recommend a good Doc in Melbourne, around the CBD? Been a while since i've had a checkup.

Plenty on Google, but if someone knows a good one that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

HI lads just want to know how hard it is to get carpentry work out there i am 43 so i dont get the temp visa any info would be good thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

OZ or NZ? Melbourne or Wellington? Thinking of moving in that general direction pretty soon. I'd be pretty much looking at hospitality work.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

It seems everyone ITT is in Melbourne!

I'm in Sydney now a month and absolutely loving it so far, I know nobody here yet so I spend most of my days walking about by myself but it's all good, I landed a job and am starting it on Thurs.

Living in Randwich at the moment and today I walked from Bondi to Coogee while looking at some amazing scenery, if I can help it I'll never be going home.

Buying a jeep tomorrow and a surf board at the weekend, everybody says the first month is the hardest well it couldn't be further from the truth with me at the moment.

Just a pity I left it so long to come out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anyone on here working as journalists in Australia? Finishing a masters, and keeping ALL options open. I'm too old for a WHV, have been to Aus a few times, so have a general idea of the lie of the lands. However it's been 3 years since I've been there last, so didn't really catch the boom prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Pretty sure Xavi is a journalist..

What the hell is wrong with this place that they destroy food with salt? /rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tim Riggins

good stuff top madre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ShaggyQueen

Just wondering from people that are over there, whats the story with getting around for jobs, particularly the rural work, would I have to get a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Slideways wrote: »
    Pretty sure Xavi is a journalist..

What the hell is wrong with this place that they destroy food with salt? /rant

I've heard back from people in that industry in Aus in the meantime. As d'unbelievables used to say: "Tisn't lookin too good".

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Opinionated Rebel

HI lads just want to know how hard it is to get carpentry work out there i am 43 so i dont get the temp visa any info would be good thanks

Hey pat. Chippy a are still on the skilled list and there is plenty work in WA for decent chippy's.

However I'd say there is only 18 months max left in the little residential boom here, unless China and India pick up really soon. WA relies on these 2 to keep the mining going, but the mining is slowing anyway.

The rest of Oz is struggling. There would be no surity of work anywhere else. The work on the East Coast is better as an Irish chippy, far more timber work.

The one thing I would advise is a lot of thought on moving here. I'm nearly 37 and I'm coming home. The culture is massively different in WA. They can be very backward, snobby, racist and xenophobic. I get on very well myself with Victorians an others from the East and would far prefer Melbourne and Sydney as cities and cultures. However the work is in WA, well the plentiful supply if work at least.

Anecdotally the 35+'s irish makes (myself included) struggle the most over here. Having friends or family over here are a massive advantage I would think.

Not trying to be negative, Australia offers a lot and hard workers get especially rewarded IMO and Oz has a lot of things going for it. The weather is great for your health, sporting facilities are fantastic, options for kids sports etc etc.

Hope my tuppence worth helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Opinionated Rebel

Just wondering from people that are over there, whats the story with getting around for jobs, particularly the rural work, would I have to get a car?

Without doubt. Everything is a long trip in Oz, especially most of the rural work.

A lot of people chip in and buy a car together, and cars are cheap here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

Hi people... Applying for the 1 year Visa.. I just about make the deadline I'm 30year old male... I'm a plumber by trade... Will try get into the mines... Will be lookin for plumbing or labouring jobs.. Where would be good to start in oz.. Any info would be greatly appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hi people... Applying for the 1 year Visa.. I just about make the deadline I'm 30year old male... I'm a plumber by trade... Will try get into the mines... Will be lookin for plumbing or labouring jobs.. Where would be good to start in oz.. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Forget the mines and the pub talk. Loads of lay offs in that area. Construction is on a high in Sydney so you should get work there easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hey Everyone,

Looking at a move to Adelaide in a few years. Just doing some education at present. OH is doing diploma in nursing and I'm doing diploma in project management. I have worked in the tech sector for about 20 years last 8 as a manager. OH is qualified as accountant also. Whats Adelaide like for work in these sectors? Looking to move family 3 kids. If one of the kids is just gone 18 at move time would they have to get separate visa?

Thanks for all replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Mining sector has slowed down big time may have another dream

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Mining sector has slowed down big time may have another dream

So have a lot of Irish people left Australia?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

A good few have left but I think the numbers coming over in general have taken a big hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm gone out of Western Australia nearly a year now and I just got a message from an aussie wanting to know what the job market is like in Ireland for tradies like himself. This was a guy who told me WA was the best place in the world and anyone would be mad for wanting to leave it. Times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Things have definitely slowed down, but there is still work here. I work for a small building company, and we are quieter than we were 3 years ago, but we still have plenty of work to keep us going.

In a way it's a good thing, bring everything down to a sustainable level. We just need the WA government to stop spending money we don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Hey guys,

Looking at going travelling to Australia in a few months. I will base myself in Sydney for a about 6-8 moonths. I will be looking for work immediately - because I know how expensive Oz is, and I want to make money to fuel my travel to NZ and SE Asia - which I hope to do towards the end of my year out.

I would really appreciate some advice on job hunting etc. I've a background in science - environmental and lots of customer service roles behind me, as well as admin work. Would/could I start applying for jobs whilst still in Ireland?

Thanks for any advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Looking at going travelling to Australia in a few months. I will base myself in Sydney for a about 6-8 moonths. I will be looking for work immediately - because I know how expensive Oz is, and I want to make money to fuel my travel to NZ and SE Asia - which I hope to do towards the end of my year out.

I would really appreciate some advice on job hunting etc. I've a background in science - environmental and lots of customer service roles behind me, as well as admin work. Would/could I start applying for jobs whilst still in Ireland?

Thanks for any advice :)

I'm in the same boat as Elektra so any advice, please pop it on!

I've actually since booked my flight over and I've been throwing my CV out to a lot of recruitment agencies and they have been getting back to me to say that they will get in touch with me once I arrive. I've tried job hunting myself but I think it's very hard to get ''temp work'' without going through an agency.

Best of luck :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    I've actually since booked my flight over and I've been throwing my CV out to a lot of recruitment agencies and they have been getting back to me to say that they will get in touch with me once I arrive. I've tried job hunting myself but I think it's very hard to get ''temp work'' without going through an agency.

Best of luck :)

You will probably find it difficult to get temp work until you are actually in Australia as the agencies like to meet with you before they send you off to any position. The best thing to do would be to get in touch with them when you arrive and arrange to meet them. If you are looking for office work just be aware that some of the agencies will ask you to do a typing test.

aido79 wrote: »
    You will probably find it difficult to get temp work until you are actually in Australia as the agencies like to meet with you before they send you off to any position. The best thing to do would be to get in touch with them when you arrive and arrange to meet them. If you are looking for office work just be aware that some of the agencies will ask you to do a typing test.

Thanks aido79. That is true, I know this is frustrating because you (I) would like to have interviews with agencies lined up before I go out..i have two interviews already lined up a week after I land In Sydney but I suppose I just want to fall on my feet ASAP after arriving. I suppose patience is a virtue! :)

If you have any other recommendations then I'd love to hear from you. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Flying to Australia is a hell of a lot quicker.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Howardhunt

Hey guys - i am moving to Brisbane in August, currently have 3/4 years accountancy experience and hopefully qualified before i go - is there much work in Brisbane at the moment??

Also if i was to work in construction as a laborer for a while as i am on a 1 year working visa, is it hard get construction work in Bisbane?

Appreciate yer input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Hi all,

Didn't want to start a new thread over a small Q, but have tried googling to no avail.

Is there any advantage to migrating to Australia on a British passport as opposed to an Irish one? Am entitled to British citizenship so will apply for the passport if there is any advantages, mainly thinking due to them being in the Commonwealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Not sure on the visa side but it would be worth having it for the reciprocal health agreement. The UK has an agreement that allows you to join Medicare but I don't think you can if you're coming from Ireland. Or at least the benefits are different. The issue was residency though, so even though I came in my Irish passport I was able to prove I had UK residency and therefore could access Medicare. That was 6 years ago. Things may have changed

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

csm wrote: »
    Not sure on the visa side but it would be worth having it for the reciprocal health agreement. The UK has an agreement that allows you to join Medicare but I don't think you can if you're coming from Ireland. Or at least the benefits are different. The issue was residency though, so even though I came in my Irish passport I was able to prove I had UK residency and therefore could access Medicare. That was 6 years ago. Things may have changed

It depends what visa you come over on. If you are migrating, as in coming over as a permanent resident then it makes no difference. If you coming over on a short-term visa such as sponsorship or working holiday then there is an advantage to coming on a UK passport because you will have access to medicare.
    There are no other real advantages to coming over on a UK passport than an Irish passport as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

It took a while, but I finally got my Citizenship :D

Just got to get my passport now, $300 :eek: Found out that both my daughters need theirs too, $900 on passports before we come home for a holiday at christmas:(

Advertisement