Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mechanical engineer looking for mining job

• 07-04-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I'm studying for a BEng Honours degree in mechanical engineering and will be graduating from college this May. I would like to get an engineering job with a mining company in Australia. I don't mind what area or shift cycle. I'm really looking for advice of going about it. I have contacted a few companies but they all say to contact them when I have arrived over and they would only consider me then. I appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you are under 31 and depending on where you studied you could probably get a Graduate Engineering Visa 476, it would be more attractive having that on your CV than a WHV. This will allow you to build up some experience and possibly apply for PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As a recent graduate, you probably won't be earning great money. There is a restructure going on in my job with the amendment of the contract for the remainder of phase 1 leading into phase 2. I've lost $20,000 and interstate flights no longer provided. Some of the graduates are getting $65,000 plus 15% uplift (used to be 30% uplift before the restructuring). Thats on a 3:1 roster as well. Terrible money for working 84 hours a week.

You will have to wait until you get here. Most companies aren't interested in overseas applicants unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 glanzamike

Thanks for the help. Where would you recommend starting off looking for work. I've heard to travel to Perth and try from there? Also is there much of a demand for graduate engineers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Try www.seek.com.au to see whats out there. It's pretty easy to use and gives an idea whats out there. You don't have to try the big mining companies either. They all have lots of sub contractors working for them so you'd probably have more luck with them.

I'm based in Sydney and I've found it harder to get work in QLD with the extra distance/cost involved for them to fly me back and forth. It would definitely be easier being Brisbane based for me. I think its the same with PErth. A lot of the FIFO rolls out there want you to be Perth based. I think the days of interstate flights being the norm are slowly coming to an end.

Advertisement