Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

murpho999 wrote: »
    Fall (Instead of Autumn)

I like that term, it's evocative and has a certain drama to it.

Also I believe it's an artefact from ye olde Englishe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Garbage truck = Bin lorry.

Truck in general.

Lorry or HGV..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think a lot of posters here need to take their heads out of their fannies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Nothing worse than people from somewhere else doing things slightly differently. How dare they!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mind your business. Instead of mind your own business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Widye

'Shirt' for a t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Widye

'Hate' for criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Just let me grab my pullover and we'll go to the store for some candy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Mind your business. Instead of mind your own business.

I could care less

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I like that term, it's evocative and has a certain drama to it.

Also I believe it's an artefact from ye olde Englishe.

Some of their words are old English usage preserved in aspic.
    Curb, Tire, Trash, etc.

https://www.abroadintheyard.com/new-fangled-american-words-and-spellings-which-are-rooted-in-old-england/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Just let me grab my pullover and we'll go to the store for some candy.

They’d more likely say sweater. Pullover tends to refer to cars.

Also if you say it’s cold & you’re going to put on your jumper, bear in mind it’s a sleeveless dress in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

We were just hangin' out with you guys.

Just hangin', you know?

You guys!

You guys, where have you been hangin'?

You guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You guys has an interesting history.

https://time.com/5688255/you-guys/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I've been watching way too much CNN today, and have learned that (at least some) Americans have the same approach to the word 'votes' as they do to 'maths' - i.e. they insist on using the singular.

"There's a still lot of vote to be counted in this state" :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Silver33 wrote: »
    An irish person saying the word "awesome" drives me mental. It just sounds fake..:D
    An American using the word "awesome" drives me mental. It just sounds fake..:D

Here it's bringer of wonders, there it describes anything that doesn't suck big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You guys has an interesting history.

https://time.com/5688255/you-guys/

This is quite appropriate for today, which is Guy Fawkes Day. :)

maudgonner wrote: »
    I've been watching way too much CNN today, and have learned that (at least some) Americans have the same approach to the word 'votes' as they do to 'maths' - i.e. they insist on using the singular.

They do the opposite with Lego.

"Do you want to play with your Legos?".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maudgonner wrote: »

If Trump gets his way then it will be an uncountable noun.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

'Regime-change' instead of 'coup' involving hundreds of thousands of deaths that are never mentioned by 'imbedded' (our guys!) journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

poop

Can we talk about how US terms for digestion issues is so jarring to our ears?

It sounds so childlike and so graphic! Yet it seems like it's quite acceptable to use it in mixed company, with a straight face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Bricriu wrote: »
    'Regime-change' instead of 'coup' involving hundreds of thousands of deaths that are never mentioned by 'imbedded' (our guys!) journalists.
    Embedded.

Coup is normally internally lead. Conquest with the aim of installing a puppet regime isn't normally called a coup, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What are the perfectly good names of things that the Americans have, for some reason, decided to call completely different things that annoy you.

I'll open the bidding with them calling Fruit & Vegetables Produce (and pronouncing it "pro-juice").

Aluminium becomes al - loom- in - um

• Registered Users Posts: 40,144 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Aluminium becomes al - loom- in - um

the yanks have it correct on this. Aliminum is what its discoverer called. It was only changed to aluminium to fit in with the other elements that end in -ium

'Butt': the way it is pronounced and the way more and more Irish people are saying it. It is said in a short, sharp burst, and usually barely pronouncing the t's. My nephew might say something like "I fell on my butt" but the relaxed cadence of his speech suddenly changes for that one word with an abrupt 'buh".

And it's worse when adult Irish people do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Military ops names, "Operation *insert cheesy name*"

Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation All American Tiger, Operation Airborne Dragon, Operation Cobra's Anger..etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The way the pronounce words like

Route - Row-t

Semi- Sem-eye

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

kravmaga wrote: »
    Garbage engineer = Binman

Literally never heard that. Trash or garbage collector is what they say, or sanitation worker if you want to be fancy about it.

Apparently there are sanitation engineers but thats a different thing
    Wibbs wrote: »

Well IIRC that has an interesting history which goes back to the 19th century and before cars. Gasoline was originally a trademark of a "motor spirit" producer, though and again IIRC it was spelled "Gazolene" with a zed the "gas" thing coming later?

Don't you mean "zee" ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I could care less

This one really bugs me more than any pronunciation. Do they even know what they're saying?

I will defend the use of 'soccer' a term which has its roots in the game and is not something invented by Americans in order to differentiate between their sport of Football and the English game. It annoys me more that Irish people will argue this point for some reason and comes across as very petty.

I also like the term 'Shopping Mall' as it differentiates between them and the tiny little shopping centres we would see in Ireland and a lot of Europe where space is at a premium. Shopping malls have hundreds of shops. A Tesco with a pharmacy, barbers and pound shop in the same building is not a mall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Restroom
    Wtf do you have a little snooze while you are taking a crap
    Waste paper basket sidewalk and bath tub
    They love Big names for things

Advertisement