Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon.co.uk - early black Friday deals on now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is it not water from night before though? Maybe I'm too ocd on fresh water!

The water is probably safer in the coffee machine than sitting in rusty pipes !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

keane2097 wrote: »
    Every time there's one of these threads there's 100 posts from people saying they don't think they need smart plugs.

Yeah very peculiar and people demanding to know what there uses are after its been said several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭drogon.

All on timers though so again, what do these do?

I'm the same as the other chap, can't see the use

Nobody is forcing you to buy one :D

I have few and get good use out of them for various of the tasks that I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

All on timers though so again, what do these do?

I'm the same as the other chap, can't see the use

They don't have to be on timers. You can switch them on by voice or using an app. But as others have said, just don't buy one if you don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They don't have to be on timers. You can switch them on by voice or using an app. But as others have said, just don't buy one if you don't need it.

But hasn't that always been the way of this forum. Buy something as it's a good deal/idea at the time and then 2 years later wonder what it does.

Bought the canon storage thingy when it was mentioned. Moved house and took it with me, still in box. Removed it from the box to strip its hard drive when canon discontinued the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

****in hell

I know that but is an app easier than a button?

The hot blanket, kettle, etc I can see the appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It is when you're not physically there. You can control the app from anywhere so be it security or whatever reason but being able to control lamps when you're not home is very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

I have my espresso machine come on in the morning with an old school timer plug yolk. Also goes off at a set time. Cost about a fiver.
    OK, so what your are saying is for a fiver you have something totally different to what Thin White Duck has, which is the espresso machine come on, on demand, when they decide, not when the timer decides, using a smart plug that costs ten quid instead of the five quid you paid? Honestly I have no idea why anyone would even spend a fiver on something so basic.

dakid wrote: »
    OK, so what your are saying is for a fiver you have something totally different to what Thin White Duck has, which is the espresso machine come on, on demand, when they decide, not when the timer decides, using a smart plug that costs ten quid instead of the five quid you paid? Honestly I have no idea why anyone would even spend a fiver on something so basic.

Agreed. I can see why some people have no need to upgrade from an old school timer, but there's little logic of buying an old school timer over a smartplug if you don't have either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

While your on about Espresso, come across any bargain Espresso Machines out there, or should I hold off a spell..

mrtom wrote: »
    While your on about Espresso, come across any bargain Espresso Machines out there, or should I hold off a spell..

I'd recommend keeping an eye "Like New" De'Longhi machines on the Amazon Warehouse on Black Friday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

The last couple of pages have been pure eye aids.

If you can’t see the benefits, despite people outlining them, then just don’t buy the bloody thing(s).

Constantly reiterating you don’t get it is only clogging up the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

I have smart cameras that I can see from anywhere in the world on my phone. They alert me if they detect movement outside.

I can turn on both a radio and the surround sound system if I see a burglar. I can also switch on outside lights and inside lights.

I also can switch on my oil central heating from anywhere so the house will be nice and warm when I get back from wherever I am.

I can go Into the app on my phone each night and make sure everything in my home office is switched off and also the TV, game consoles, computers etc and not just in standby.

I find it really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Same with Christmas lights. What’s wrong with an old school timer?? Honestly I’m confused.

What happens when you leave the house? You shouldn’t leave the lights on when you go out.

I’ve Christmas tree lights, small lamps, lights in shed all on smart plugs. I’ve a tumble dryer in the shed. I can check the energy usage and see if the cycle is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Any bargains or is it just going to be page after page of what a smart plug can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Personally I have smart bulbs in all my lamps, and have those plugged into smart plugs. It’s smart^2.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

bladespin wrote: »
    Great site, thanks, waiting patiently for a Nintendo Switch deal, fingers crossed. :D

Hardly a deal...still a Nintendo switch one :p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/deal/20b9a78f&showVariations=true/ref=gbps_img___20b9a78f?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mrtom wrote: »
    Why would anyone want an espresso machine when a few spoons of instant does the same thing for cheaper?

:pac: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Why would anyone want an espresso machine when a few spoons of instant does the same thing for cheaper?

Because instant coffee is pure piss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can anyone recommend a projector on sale by any chance? Max 80 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

25% off Nescafe Gold here

No dofference in taste to freshly brewed espresso

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Anyone seeing some Amazon shipping being pushed out by a week for deliveries to Ireland? When not logged in it looks like regular 1-2 day shipping (UK), but when logged in i'm seeing same items be pushed out by 1 week for expected delivery??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

25% off Nescafe Gold here

No dofference in taste to freshly brewed espresso

:D:D:D

You've obviously never had freshly brewed expresso:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Linoge wrote: »
    Anyone seeing some Amazon shipping being pushed out by a week for deliveries to Ireland? When not logged in it looks like regular 1-2 day shipping (UK), but when logged in i'm seeing same items be pushed out by 1 week for expected delivery??

Its back to Covid timeframes it seems, did a few orders yesterday showing between the 6th and 9th of Nov for different things. Did another last night to parcel motel, its shipped delivery due tomorrow, while the others havent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah I think they're just covering their asses due to Covid, depending on what the product is. I ordered something last Tuesday and was given a delivery date of Nov 5th. It arrived on the Thursday (Oct 29th)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I am, I'm also seeing a lot of stuff usually shipped here now saying

"This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location"

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

I'd recommend keeping an eye "Like New" De'Longhi machines on the Amazon Warehouse on Black Friday. :)

Nice one Aristotle, you saved me €50 on the "De'Longhi Scultura Traditional Barista Pump Espresso Machine, Coffee and Cappuccino Maker, ECZ351BK".
    From £139 to £80! + free shipping. Described as "Used", assume full warranty applies. Thanks again.

Jimson wrote: »
    I have smart cameras that I can see from anywhere in the world on my phone. They alert me if they detect movement outside.

I can turn on both a radio and the surround sound system if I see a burglar. I can also switch on outside lights and inside lights.

I also can switch on my oil central heating from anywhere so the house will be nice and warm when I get back from wherever I am.

I can go Into the app on my phone each night and make sure everything in my home office is switched off and also the TV, game consoles, computers etc and not just in standby.

I find it really handy.

Fair enough. I don't mean to put noises out over it. I have cameras too and I'm not opposed to smart tech. Just can't see what I personally would use them for that the current remote control system won't do so was curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Can this just be renamed the smart plug debate thread to save anyone else going through 7 pages of it looking for a bargain? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement