Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭jm08

downcow wrote: »
    So beltby raised this as a measure of failure.
    This little failed state will be the first country in the western world to role out the vaccine. Starting next week. What a failure lol

A vaccine that was created in Germany by a 2nd generation Turk, funded by a US company, manufactured in Belgium and distributed in phials made in Germany.

I wouldn't get carried away either - NI is getting 25K doses which will vaccinate 12,500 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jm08 wrote: »
    A vaccine that was created in Germany by a 2nd generation Turk, funded by a US company, manufactured in Belgium and distributed in phials made in Germany.

I wouldn't get carried away either - NI is getting 25K doses which will vaccinate 12,500 people.

Hope it works. Don't really give a fcuk who created it. Just get it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Hope it works. Don't really give a fcuk who created it. Just get it out there.

Hope it does as well, but the logistics of this one is really tricky due to the temperature thing.

It all appears to be a bit of how great we are to be the first, but 12,500 doses is nothing. I think we all have a better chance with the Oxford one, so hopefully that one works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Yes. Wednesday apparently
    Seems we are first on the world. We are slightly ahead of rest in UK as our stations are fully set up and ready to go. Just waiting on delivery
    Fair play to ye for leading the way, I taut it was a british vaccine the way ye were crowing about it, but it's a German vaccine manufactured in Belgium.
    I think the rest of Ireland will only be a few weeks behind the North

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fair play to ye for leading the way, I taut it was a british vaccine the way ye were crowing about it, but it's a German vaccine manufactured in Belgium.
    I think the rest of Ireland will only be a few weeks behind the North

I mean, I'm surprised they didn't delay it to get the Butcher's Apron on the vials. That would be preposterous... no?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/27/no-10-reportedly-wanted-union-flag-on-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-kits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

jm08 wrote: »

Sky talking about the army being involved in the logistics. Hopefully SF don't make an issue out of it.

jh79 wrote: »
    Sky talking about the army being involved in the logistics. Hopefully SF don't make an issue out of it.

Yawn.

The SF reflex is strong in this one.

Yawn.

The SF reflex is strong in this one.

Insecure Republicans were on here whining about the Army delivering PPE hardly a stretch they might do the same about the vaccine. Would be bad PR for SF if they went down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,840 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Insecure Republicans were on here whining about the Army delivering PPE hardly a stretch they might do the same about the vaccine. Would be bad PR for SF if they went down that route.

That issue was about Swann going off on a solo run and not consulting the people he should have. O'Neill said she was willing to use anything IF it was necessary. Bad as it got in NI the army were not needed.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/04/11/news/michelle-o-neill-hits-out-as-robin-swann-requests-coronavirus-help-from-british-army-1899226/

That issue was about Swann going off on a solo run and not consulting the people he should have. O'Neill said she was willing to use anything IF it was necessary. Bad as it got in NI the army were not needed.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/04/11/news/michelle-o-neill-hits-out-as-robin-swann-requests-coronavirus-help-from-british-army-1899226/

Would you be ok with the Army being involved?

• Advertisement

Would you be ok with the Army being involved?

In an emergency, of course.

Yes, it's the republicans who are insecure

Yes, it's the republicans who are insecure

Get a chance to have a look at the opinion poll yet? Post a link again if you like

Get a chance to have a look at the opinion poll yet? Post a link again if you like

You're a gas man.

Yeah I did. Did you have a question that required answering? You're hardly that insecure to require constant validation from strangers on the internet are ya?

Poor lad.

You're a gas man.

Yeah I did. Did you have a question that required answering? You're hardly that insecure to require constant validation from strangers on the internet are ya?

Poor lad.

Jaysus, the irony of that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

If a poll was Carried out in the uk on what people taut about the dup, I think it would make very interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭downcow

UDAWINNER wrote: »

Embarrassing for his family. I understand he has Alzheimer’s. Very sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd argue that a lot of his opinions and behaviours highlighted by this would predate any potential mental degradation caused by Alzheimers, Downcow. As he is a former MP for Fermanagh/South Tyrone, I'm very familiar with the man and entirely unsurprised by this.

A worrying side effect of the lifelong peerage system, having the potential for someone with Alzheimers responsible for one of the fundamental pillars of running your country.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I'd argue that a lot of his opinions and behaviours highlighted by this would predate any potential mental degradation caused by Alzheimers, Downcow. Being a former MP for Fermanagh/South Tyrone, I'm very familiar with the man.

A worrying side effect of the lifelong peerage system, having the potential for someone with Alzheimers responsible for one of the fundamental pillars of running your country.

Had dealings with the man over several decades and while you could speak honestly with him, this story doesn't surprise me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Had dealings with the man over several decades and while you could speak honestly with him, this story doesn't surprise me tbh.

On his best day, argumentative and opinionated would be a fair description, often sliding into outright belligerence.

Downcow's comment on Alzheimers is the first I've heard on the subject, and while I certainly wouldn't wish that on him should it be true, I also wouldn't accept it as an excuse or justification for his latest when he has a track record of it over decades.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    On his best day, argumentative and opinionated would be a fair description, often sliding into outright belligerence.

Downcow's comment on Alzheimers is the first I've heard on the subject, and while I certainly wouldn't wish that on him should it be true, I also wouldn't accept it as an excuse or justification for his latest when he has a track record of it over decades.

The clause that he faces a longer dismissal if he doesn't enrol in training suggests that downcow is over egging the illness. If it was a factor it would have been used in his defence.

I don't mind 'argumentative and opinionated' people, but you are correct, the belligerence and superior attitude was always there in the end if losing the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/shane-macgowan-says-he-felt-guilty-for-not-having-the-guts-to-join-the-ira-39825816.html

Shane Mcgowan embarrassed at not having the courage to join PIRA.

Hes not the only person who ive heard say this, if we were any good down south we'd have fought for a United Ireland and sorted it out once and for all as opposed to looking on as nationalists in Northern Ireland were treated like dirt, murdered and jailed by the British and loyalists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maginnis' comments aren't particularly surprising; not for any political reasons per se, but the simple demographics that folk of his age and generation are less likely to be enlightened when it comes to inclusion or even basic recognition or respect towards formerly persecuted groups like the LGBTQ+ community.

So I wouldn't be so quick to draw a line between his comments & unionism. And for sure cognitive decline doesn't cause prejudice - that's patently ludicrous - more likely it allows previously bit lips to loosen when certain filters no longer exist. "Old man is a bit of a bigot" doesn't seem especially newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

LuasSimon wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/shane-macgowan-says-he-felt-guilty-for-not-having-the-guts-to-join-the-ira-39825816.html

Shane Mcgowan embarrassed at not having the courage to join PIRA.

Hes not the only person who ive heard say this, if we were any good down south we'd have fought for a United Ireland and sorted it out once and for all as opposed to looking on as nationalists in Northern Ireland were treated like dirt, murdered and jailed by the British and loyalists.

I can see why some might think this but think a bit about it.

If Britain was faced with this situation almost anytime from the late 20's to 1980 certainly under Thatcher the 26 would have probably been reoccupied. You would also promote a backlash from moderate Unionists. Perhaps such an opportunity had a slim chance 3 times in that period.

If Britain stood aside there would have been a civil war with the south and a hostile Unionist population within the new state.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I can see why some might think this but think a bit about it.

If Britain was faced with this situation almost anytime from the late 20's to 1980 certainly under Thatcher the 26 would have probably been reoccupied. You would also promote a backlash from moderate Unionists. Perhaps such an opportunity had a slim chance 3 times in that period.

If Britain stood aside there would have been a civil war with the south and a hostile Unionist population within the new state.

:) Thatcher had her people look at the possibility of pulling out altogether.

Pathetic excuse mate

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maginnis' comments aren't particularly surprising; not for any political reasons per se, but the simple demographics that folk of his age and generation are less likely to be enlightened when it comes to inclusion or even basic recognition or respect towards formerly persecuted groups like the LGBTQ+ community.

So I wouldn't be so quick to draw a line between his comments & unionism. And for sure cognitive decline doesn't cause prejudice - that's patently ludicrous - more likely it allows previously bit lips to loosen when certain filters no longer exist. "Old man is a bit of a bigot" doesn't seem especially newsworthy.
    O yeah, the dup wouldn't have any bigots in its party, it was a slip of the tongue by an old man with alzheimer's, get a grip lads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

O yeah, the dup wouldn't have any bigots in its party, it was a slip of the tongue by an old man with alzheimer's, get a grip lads

Think you're spinning what I'm saying: it's well understood the DUP is more ... socially conservative, to put it politely; but Maginnis' bigotry isn't that surprising to me as a baseline either, being as he is from a generation that was already more conservative by default. Manifest as either Trump voters, Brexit voters, or voting against same-sex or 8th amendment referenda here. And no, not a slip of the tongue, just someone no longer able to keep his bigotry to himself. I think I'm just numbed to sectors of unionism being as they are.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Think you're spinning what I'm saying: it's well understood the DUP is more ... socially conservative, to put it politely; but Maginnis' bigotry isn't that surprising to me as a baseline either, being as he is from a generation that was already more conservative by default. Manifest as either Trump voters, Brexit voters, or voting against same-sex or 8th amendment referenda here. And no, not a slip of the tongue, just someone no longer able to keep his bigotry to himself. I think I'm just numbed to sectors of unionism being as they are.

Dup is more ... socially conservative, a very generous description of a party full of racists and bigots

Advertisement