Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If America implodes (e.g. via Civil war), who will come to her aid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was much further away then. By the time anyone got there it was over.

It lasted longer than the War of 1812 during which the British burned the White House, laid siege to Baltimore (which inspired the Star Spangled Banner) and had a landing force defeated at New Orleans by future president Andrew Jackson.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Los Alamo wrote: »
    If only you Brits had guns, maybe you could done something about the 'Asian' rape gangs that prey on your girls.

See you on your next account :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why do they call it a civil war anyways, it's a walking contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Malcolm X and other black nationalists wanted a few states to establish a black homeland.

I think he had his eye on Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama.

You'd have to give Native Americans parts of the Prairies and South West.

Latinos could have border states.

I don't think Civil War would break out in a structured way.

Just a deterioration in law and order, leading to extreme violence and widespread crime. Something akin to Robocop, Soylent Green or The Purge.

Be like Spain in 36.

General Trumpo and his Nationalists v the Republican Democrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

You're dead right Axel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It would be a good opportunity to return the territory to the people who were there before all the troublemakers arrived. Spain, Germany, Italy, Ireland and the rest could take our people back. Canada could help in organising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

How does civilian war sound to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

gigantic09 wrote: »
    You're dead right Axel.

What so civil about war anyway.

Time to check Spotify for a song now

It was much further away then. By the time anyone got there it was over.

The English had a benevolent neutrality towards the confederate states in that it allowed warships to be built in England and blockade runners brought in munitions etc in return for cotton and tobaco.
    France had troops in Mexico at the time that could have been a help to either side if they decided to get involved but decided to stay neutral.

As for today, no one would be getting involved

• Advertisement

The soy consuming comrades won’t last long

Yeah, this probably..

I saw a thing a while ago about this..
    "One side has been stockpiling weapons..one side doesn't know which toilet to use.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I reckon Pierre
    Trudeau would put Canada forward as the lead country in the UN backed peace mission.

And I think Gary Trudeau would draw the cartoon about it.

I reckon Pierre
    Trudeau would put Canada forward as the lead country in the UN backed peace mission.

And I think Gary Trudeau would draw the cartoon about it.

Canada would get millions of refugees. Like I said they could process them for return to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This threads reminds me of this PC game

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If we indulge the fantasy of a catastrophic civil war, I could see California and New York seceding, and staying out of the mess. Their economies are big enough and independent enough not to need the other states, so self preservation would kick in. California might take Oregon and Washington with them. They already have the “Western States Pact.” - which is only a loose agreement on how to handle Covid 19 restrictions, but it shows they’re working together on some level as a unit. Would NY take NJ and New England with them? I think the real mess would be in the rest of the states. No other country would get involved, they’d be let fight it out. Russia might cast its eye at Alaska, and some distant pacific territory might be tempting to China, if they felt they could take advantage of the situation under the guise of peace keeping.

But look, it’s not going to come to this. A bit of protesting and rioting, at most, and then it’ll fizzle out. Even if it did get worse, the US military is too strong to allow an actual civil war (assuming it doesn’t split into two factions, but it won’t.). Anyone rising up against them would be crushed. This business of a “well armed militia” to guard against an authoritarian government - or anything else - is nonsense. No amount of action men with assault rifles will defend against the national guard, let alone the gear the of the combined army, navy, airforce and marines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well yeah, obviously they need "the help"

Which, of course, says more about you etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If America implodes (e.g. via Civil war), who will come to her aid

tumblr_lwd61fYFx01qaa5c1o4_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Let's hope that does not happen because stock markets would crash, oil would drop and it would be very bad for all of us economically.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

The only thing Ireland could do is send a Christmas card ffs. We have zero military input to offer.

Suppose we could ask Christy to write a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

To be quite honest, if it did implode, it's so heavily armed that I think it might be impossible for anyone to come to its aid. It'd be more likely a case of securing the Canadian border.

I have my doubts that it would ever come to that though. At worst, I think you could be heading for a situation of a lot of risks of domestic terrorism, and a security situation perhaps comparable to the Troubles.

I've a feeling though that it *might* blow over, but then again I was wrong on Brexit and Trump being elected, so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

It wont implode anytime soon after this speech by army chiefs commissioner

https://twitter.com/i/status/1327620048639451139

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

shrewd wrote: »
    It wont implode anytime soon after this speech by army chiefs commissioner

https://twitter.com/i/status/1327620048639451139

The first thing I said after watching that last week was "Shots fired" we are not your army we the country's army

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Gatling wrote: »
    The first thing I said after watching that last week was "Shots fired" we are not your army we the country's army

It was definitely a not so subtle hint to Trump that he does not have the backing of the military if he attempts to take things to the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MsStote

I dare say it will settle down around June after the grumbling. What is interesting is who will run for president next term.

If someone had to step in, probably Canada and then the UK.

Send in the Australian Special Forces. That will sort them out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

America has been divided before. It's always had a rich poor divide. It's got lots of racial division that goes deep and for centuries. Politically, talking roughly of course, 50 % vote Democrat, 50% vote Republican.There's a north south divide and a west east divide. Civil strife? The 1960's were no cakewalk. While one part of the nation was putting men on the moon, other parts were rioting on the streets, others were blowing the crap out of rice farmers in South East Asia. Nixon didn't exactly inspire confidence with the population and then was kicked out. In the lead up to WW2 a large percentage of Americans wanted no part of it until a few Japanese lads driving Mitsubishis dropped a few bangers on their ships. So trump while an obvious and dangerous oaf is now out of there and after some gnashing of teeth it'll settle down to being the huge behemoth of a nation divided all over the place convincing itself it isn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

If America was to implode, let's say via a civil war, who will come to her rescue?

I'll say the Ireland and UK.

...Or can it ever implode? every nation has a connection there. a war in America, is a world war surely.

Aye, cos both Ireland and the Brits are like world powers to sort out the US.

America isn't going to implode any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Am I the only one to notice the empty chair on the right side ,and a big event for army and no sign of the commander in chief

Did you not notice the General getting out of the chair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

If America was to implode, let's say via a civil war, who will come to her rescue?

I'll say the Ireland and UK.

...Or can it ever implode? every nation has a connection there. a war in America, is a world war surely.

Who gives a toss. They've killed enough innocent people to fatten their wallets. Let them kill themselves.

Advertisement