Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 2.17 marathon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I appreciate that it's a great article, but really, they stuck it in a PDF?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Fenster wrote: »
    I appreciate that it's a great article, but really, they stuck it in a PDF?

Yep because they were issuing it over twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Yep because they were issuing it over twitter

Which is predominantly mobile, when a PDF is anything except. Argh! I'll shut up now as I'm detracting from the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

His podcast is very good: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/stephen-scullions-road-to-tokyo-2020/id1447927933?mt=2

I generally thought he was a bit of a jerk from what I'd read from his comments in the media etc., but hearing him talk through his training and comeback (often while running) was very good listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Singer wrote: »
    His podcast is very good: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/stephen-scullions-road-to-tokyo-2020/id1447927933?mt=2

I generally thought he was a bit of a jerk from what I'd read from his comments in the media etc., but hearing him talk through his training and comeback (often while running) was very good listening.

It's certainly a good listen and he's a very interesting character. Fair play to him for sticking his head above the parapet and taking people with him through the process. He's definitely a more multi faceted character than a couple of his interviews have suggested, but the pod is, by its nature of course, a bit of an echo chamber and some of the things he's come out with would raise the eyebrow a little :) wouldn't miss one though......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

He's running the Houston Marathon this day two weeks. Unusual choice but the course is seriously quick and he has a history with the event when he ran a quick half there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

healy1835 wrote: »
    It's certainly a good listen and he's a very interesting character. Fair play to him for sticking his head above the parapet and taking people with him through the process. He's definitely a more multi faceted character than a couple of his interviews have suggested, but the pod is, by its nature of course, a bit of an echo chamber and some of the things he's come out with would raise the eyebrow a little :) wouldn't miss one though......

I'm not sure what to make of him to be honest, he's certainly not short on confidence....quality runner either way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm really enjoying his pod, cheers for the heads up about it.

Making me realise these guys are actually human beings. I love his confidence, it's refreshing. It's not come close to crossing the threshold into cockiness (I know nobody has suggested that).

Modesty is nice and all but I'd rather hear honesty on a medium such as this.

I've just seen a new podcast pop up on my feed so maybe this post will be obsolete, but once you start talking about the possibility of dropping out in a race, is there not a danger of it becoming something of a self fulfilling prophecy? I know he cited the example of Galen Rupp turning around in Prague last year after a disastrous Boston, but just letting those thoughts seep in during race week doesn't bode wellI would have thought. Now he (over?)analysed a lot of different scenarios in the Podcast to be fair, but it seems a bit of a red flag for me. Hope the weather holds up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Live stream of Houston Marathon on Watch Athletics this Sunday to keep an eye on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I've just seen a new podcast pop up on my feed so maybe this post will be obsolete, but once you start talking about the possibility of dropping out in a race, is there not a danger of it becoming something of a self fulfilling prophecy? I know he cited the example of Galen Rupp turning around in Prague last year after a disastrous Boston, but just letting those thoughts seep in during race week doesn't bode wellI would have thought. Now he (over?)analysed a lot of different scenarios in the Podcast to be fair, but it seems a bit of a red flag for me. Hope the weather holds up for him.

As I was listening to it I was thinking how refreshing it is to see the Elites also suffer from taper madness. :D

Forecast looks ok to me.

I listened to a few eps back to back on a run yesterday and was worrying to hear him totally flip between seeing it as a real test and definitely taking it on to seriously considering pulling out.

So unlucky with what's forecast. He does make a good point though, the whole point of Houston was to post a time. It does seem to make sense to abandon and tackle Seville instead. That's a month away though, how would he go about making sure he peaks given he's two weeks into a taper?

The forecast is not that horrendous, albeit on the cooler side.

Winds between 15-22kmph, temperature at 7 am of 1 degree, raising to around 5 by finish time.

He has trained and tapered for this race, so go run it. Anything could happen in the 5 or 6 weeks to Seville and there is absolutely no guarantee that it won't be blowing a gale, or unseasonable warm or cold there.

The forecast is not that horrendous, albeit on the cooler side.

Winds between 15-22kmph, temperature at 7 am of 1 degree, raising to around 5 by finish time.

He has trained and tapered for this race, so go run it. Anything could happen in the 5 or 6 weeks to Seville and there is absolutely no guarantee that it won't be blowing a gale, or unseasonable warm or cold there.

Actual temperates only reflect the air tempreture and the effect on non-living objects.

1°C with a 20kph winds gusting up to 35 is pretty tough marathon conditions as the windchill is forecast for -5°C, that's how your muscles, lungs and brain percieve the temps to be. If anyone remembers what it felt like to run in the "beast from the east" last year, that's how cold the race willl feel to these guys and that's before they have to battle the slowdown effect of the wind.

Saying that, forecasts could change in no time, yesterday they were forecasting a windchill of -8°C and much higher winds so who knows.

As for peaking if he was to go to Seville, if he thinks the weather would cost him more than being a bit off peak, it wouldn't matter imo. I also think race week psychology is overplayed in these sceanarios, I'm sure if the weather is playing ball and he feels good on Sunday, he's going to let rip and won't be thinking about what he thought Wednesday, dropping out only sounds like a plan b if things are going to the dogs which I'm sure there is a pretty clear distinction between. They would be legimate decisions someone has to consider in his situation I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Duanington wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of him to be honest, he's certainly not short on confidence....quality runner either way

I agree with this one - I enjoyed the 1st few podcasts, then started to become a bit irritated by him. I also subscribed to his emails - by Christ - he's a confident fella.

Maybe he's releasing too many too quickly and its a bit overload

Having said that I took a break from him for a week or so & then enjoyed the chats with Vernon & Butchart (which weren't about him :) )

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Actual temperates only reflect the air tempreture and the effect on non-living objects.

1°C with a 20kph winds gusting up to 35 is pretty tough marathon conditions as the windchill is forecast for -5°C, that's how your muscles, lungs and brain percieve the temps to be. If anyone remembers what it felt like to run in the "beast from the east" last year, that's how cold the race willl feel to these guys and that's before they have to battle the slowdown effect of the wind.

Saying that, forecasts could change in no time, yesterday they were forecasting a windchill of -8°C and much higher winds so who knows.

As for peaking if he was to go to Seville, if he thinks the weather would cost him more than being a bit off peak, it wouldn't matter imo. I also think race week psychology is overplayed in these sceanarios, I'm sure if the weather is playing ball and he feels good on Sunday, he's going to let rip and won't be thinking about what he thought Wednesday, dropping out only sounds like a plan b if things are going to the dogs which I'm sure there is a pretty clear distinction between. They would be legimate decisions someone has to consider in his situation I would imagine.

Thanks El Caballo,

Hopefully the weather plays ball. Windchill can be nasty but the forecast I looked at had no gust factor and pretty light winds by 8-9am. If the wind calms from a gentle enough breeze of 20-25kmph to 10-15kmph, then 2-5 degrees air temps won't be horrendous, but obviously not ideal. Fingers crossed that it improves a bit.

I hope it works out for him and he has a great race. Enjoying the podcast.

https://abc13.com/live/

live US coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

https://abc13.com/live/

live US coverage

Brilliant, thanks for that, I've only started listening a few days ago but I enjoy the podcasts, listened to 5 or 6 on a long run this morning so was interested to see how he goes here, a bit of a pain in the hole but very interesting nonetheless, I'd like to see him go well here

Interesting to see the crowds starting out, my first will be Dublin 19, no idea what it feels like in the first mile of a marathon, must be difficult to stick to the plan

Seems like there is a couple of feeds. There is one showing the marathon, one for the half and then a general coverage one which has "commentary". Doesn't seem to be sound with the other two feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Seems like there is a couple of feeds. There is one showing the marathon, one for the half and then a general coverage one which has "commentary". Doesn't seem to be sound with the other two feeds.

Indeed, I'm working on the laptop so switching over every few minutes, most focus on the half at the moment but the second hour should be all marathon on the main feed, how's he doing?

• Advertisement

http://results.houstonmarathon.com/2019/?pid=leaderboard#

Thats the leaderboard. 31:34 for 10km split. Estimated finish of 2:13:12

Must have been a headwind through 15-25k along with that big hill just before halfway as he and everyone slowed back a lot. He absolutely blazed that last 5k to 30k though in 15:29 and on for low 2:14 again. Has 2 to work with now as well as been on his own for the first 20 odd kilometres.

2:13 looks on here, would be great to see

Looking at the route/profile, there are a couple of nasty drags at 23 and 24 mile. The wind should be mainly cross to tail from here to the finish. Lets hope he is feeling strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭AhhHere

Really enjoying his podcasts and following him today. I think he's in bright orange shorts and a white singlet if you're trying to spot him on the coverage. Hope he does well

2:14:32

Superb

2:14:34.......

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭AhhHere

Finished at 2:14:34

Fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Time puts him 15th on Irish all times list and fastest marathon by an Irish man since Mark Kenneally in 2011 in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Great performance. 15th on the Irish all time list. That should take a lot of pressure of him now for tokyo, he can race with less pressure between now and and tokyo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

He says on sttrava he went the wrong way. Not sure where or for how long, strava has the distance at 42.5

Advertisement