Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do people feel about being called love?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

BBFAN wrote: »
    I'm so happy that you feel able to be treated like an a slave. However ,I'm not, I'm the boss in this case.

Doesn't sound like it, your employee doesn't seem to take you too seriously anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I remember doing a group project placement in a place where we had to share the toilets with men, there were only two of us females there. On a Monday morning you'd be subject to a feed of farts and scutter and grunts. They had page three gals stuck to the walls there covered in sperm and what about it? People are too PC these days.

Hmm, yes, it's PC to not put up with this disgusting crap just to make a daily wage.

I feel sorry for you Surrepitious that you think putting up with this crap is the only way to make to a living. Fortunately I'm not so desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

The biggest problem with this thread is employers needing to tell everyone they are on the SMT to avoid churn.

Most directors know that the SMT is the paygrade above bin changer but strangely it works enough for the snowflakes who need to feel "valued"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well take I it I'm one of the "suits upstairs", as you call them. Do you still call them love?

I read that as ''sluts upstairs''. What an interesting workplace that would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Hmm, yes, it's PC to not put up with this disgusting crap just to make a daily wage.

I feel sorry for you Surrepitious that you think putting up with this crap is the only way to make to a living. Fortunately I'm not so desperate.

I actually sweep roads for a living, didn't finish school and only have one leg. Peace out.

• Advertisement

The biggest problem with this thread is employers needing to tell everyone they are on the SMT to avoid churn.

Most directors know that the SMT is the paygrade above bin changer but strangely enough it works enough for the snowflakes who need to feel "valued"

What are you on about now hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Call him boy from now on.Should sort it all out .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm the boss. I'm the gaffer. The book stops with me.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Call him boy from now on.Should sort it all out .

It's actually a great idea, think I will.

That you're a little pleb in a big pond or possibly vice versa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd say you're great craic on the office nights out......

How come you're not able to provide a reason why you feel it's appropriate for a lecturer to call adult students love, but between colleagues it's disgusting?

I actually sweep roads for a living, didn't finish school and only have one leg. Peace out.

Alright son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I'm so happy that you feel able to be treated like an a slave. However ,I'm not, I'm the boss in this case.

They are not being treated like a slave. People just get into habits - I don't say pet or love or dear but I've a few pals who say such things completely unconsciously. I like being addressed randomly with endearments. If I really had a problem with it I would come up with some response that would both bring the event into sharp relief and maintain good humour. It's just so not worth getting worked up about given the actual real unbearable suffering many people face day in day out.

From someone who doesn't think it's any problem that people refer to them as babe I'm not a bit worried about your opinion.

You're coming off as very defensive there, horsebox.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's hilarious in here. Yeah I did post in the wrong forum. I'll move to work problems to get opinions from people who actually work.
    :D

3e5010605113e6c136968acf6722d80b046024664edccc8f5bf681964bdeb812.jpg
    grindle wrote: »
    Counterpoint - with the knowledge that we're living in an epoch of safety, people who're getting ped off about the minutae of daily interactions are actually testing boundaries to see where the balance should lie. Bringing about a new stage of intellectual development where we all become the most boring bastards ever back-and-forthing inane "doesn't-really-matter" horseshon a niche website populated by drunk/drugged/lonely/pathetic/bored/fidgety Irish citizens.

I don't personally like getting called "pet", "love", "hun", etc etc - but I'm well aware they don't mean harm and that my annoyance should throw the benefits of my life into sharp relief.

"This is what I'm pissed off by?"

Progress tends to slow as it advances, maybe this is the interpersonal side of Moore's Law. We've gotten through the worst struggles and now we as a species have to navigate all the most boring crap (obv. whilst ignoring the mountains of shwe're going to hand to our kids of course).
    I'd agree with that alright G.
    I offered an example of college lecturer and a shop owner and you dismissed these as not work, but these people were working.... is it just office work you mean? Or is it only an issue when it's between colleagues?
    Offices are more likely to have HR depts P. A department whose sole purpose seems to be scowling. Often at eff all. Gotta justify their budget.
    A slave. :D:pac: Jesus BB, unclench. You're his boss? OK, contrary to popular belief a title doesn't(nor shouldn't) automatically engender respect. In many companies titles are often conferred more for longevity than efficiency. Respect is earned. Never mind that this guy most likely does respect your position and you and maybe this is how he shows it. If others under you report the same disquiet, then ramp it up to a second request.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How come you're not able to provide a reason why you feel it's appropriate for a lecturer to call adult students love, but between colleagues it's disgusting?

I don't think it's appropriate for lecturers to a call students love. When did I say that?

I don't think it's appropriate for lecturers to a call students love. When did I say that?

Seriously, relax Chief.

Earlier on I offered this example and you dismissed it as a social setting.

I for one love my lecturer, very intelligent woman and really friendly. I don't feel degraded at all when she calls me love.

Earlier on I offered this example and you dismissed it as a social setting.

I think the op has well demonstrated at this point that she has missed her weekly recovery meeting ...

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »

Hahaha horsebox! Really laughed out loud :D

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I got called "mate" by a big burley bloke earlier.... And we've never even had sex!!

Should I be annoyed??

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I got called "mate" by a big burley bloke earlier.... And we've never even had sex!!

Should I be annoyed??

How's the beard rash ?

Zorya wrote: »
    Hahaha horsebox! Really laughed out loud :D

It's all very this isn't it..?

Alright son.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

From someone who doesn't think it's any problem that people refer to them as babe I'm not a bit worried about your opinion.

So you only take on-board opinions that align to your own?

I think Big Brother is a pile of ****e. Should I disregard everything you say because you watch Big Brother?

Seriously, relax Chief.

Alright son.

Alright son.

It looks like you have found your solution. Ribbing and mocking can be helpful......son.

Alright son.

Do you think my lecturer is "disgusting" for calling me love? Or that I'm a "slave" for allowing her to call me that?

It's OK to say that it's fine when a woman says it, if that's what you've been avoiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Do you think my lecturer is "disgusting" for calling me love? Or that I'm a "slave" for allowing her to call me that?

It's OK to say that it's fine when a woman says it, if that's what you've been avoiding.

You're a slave to love man, face up to it :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement