Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would the LUAS be better with a different seating layout?

• 04-10-2018 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Was on the LUAS yesterday at rush hour, not something I do frequently. And I was wondering if it would be better (mainly at rush hour) if the seats were laid out differently.

The four seaters with two at the back of them are great when the LUAS is quiet, but when busy they seem to be the cause of people bunching at the doors and fewer people fitting in as a result. While there are handrails beside them, you're not going to put yourself in that aisle because people can't get out and there's nowhere for you to go if someone tries.

The likes of the subway and underground (to the best of my recollection) position seats against the windows and have an open area the whole way down. Surprised we didn't follow suit.

I assume/hope someone did the maths on it, but that's my rambling thought anyways.

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

I'm no expert, but I genuinely think they did not expect the number of people to use it to be what it is. Compare the Luas to Manchester Metrolink, they're similar numbers with half the system size!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The wheel base wouldn't allow for the seating arrangement which you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I don't think so. I think it is designed to cater for busy and non busy times. I think the solution to the issue is more ticket inspectors and more frequent Luas'.
    There is a massive number of people that use the Luas without paying for a ticket, especially during rush hour times because they know inspectors just don't bother because it is so busy and if they do its very easy to dodge them.
    I was on a Luas one day when 3 inspectors got on, it was at 8:30am (rush hour) about a third of the Luas got off at that stop. There was plenty of room on it after that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Was on the LUAS yesterday at rush hour, not something I do frequently. And I was wondering if it would be better (mainly at rush hour) if the seats were laid out differently.

The likes of the subway and underground (to the best of my recollection) position seats against the windows and have an open area the whole way down. Surprised we didn't follow suit.

There's a big difference between the Subway/underground and the LUAS, that one is a train system and the other is a tram system and they are different types of vehicles at the end of the day.

The layout you propose wouldn't be possible on a low floor tram because of wheel clearance and blocking other vital equipment that is needed to operate the tram being at the side and if it can't go at the side it has to go under the tram, and to do that would mean raising the floor.

Advertisement