Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cooked Chicken

• 14-10-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

I'm not a fan of processed meats so I generally don't buy them. I'm just wondering if shop-bought cooked chickens are totally unprocessed - or are additives like preservatives used?

Comments

For a second, I thought this was going to be about the overuse of fake tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Or overly hot ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They are the same as the chickens that you'd see in the chiller cabinets in supermarkets. The only thing is that you have no way of telling if they are battery-reared or free range because they aren't labeled.

The posters in the Food forum could probably give you a more comprehensive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Logo wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of processed meats so I generally don't buy them. I'm just wondering if shop-bought cooked chickens are totally unprocessed - or are additives like preservatives used?
    Cooking is a process. I don't know what kind of preservatives they could add to a full cooked chicken. We're used to chicken being a short lifespan food stuff, people won't take risks so just keep cranking out the chickens to keep up with demand.

Really choosing organic and free range would be much more important and would mean the animals don't have the same levels of antibiotics in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

To cook a chicken, simply fill the cavity with Zip firelighters, ignite and throw the burning carcass under the front wheel of the 41 bus. Add salt to taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Really choosing organic and free range would be much more important and would mean the animals don't have the same levels of antibiotics in them.

Thanks. Honestly never thought about the levels of antibiotics or other chemicals pumped into them... Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

here chick ,chick , some lovely yellow-green pills for your cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Are you talking about hot rotisserie chickens? If so, then they are the same birds as the raw ones on the shelves, or at least they were when I worked in superquinn back in the day.

Wouldn't recommend though, they are almost invariably overcooked to the point of incineration.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Skyfarm wrote: »
    here chick ,chick , some lovely yellow-green pills for your cold
    Chickens are the spartans of the bird world, they despise weakness and will kill any chicken that doesn't live up to the ideals of the spartan chicken warrior. This is why antibiotics are necessary because so many violent assaults take place against any chicken that bleeds or shows weakness.

So be careful not to show weakness when dealing with chickens. You don't want to lose their respect, or they will attack you, or at the very least taunt you with chicken insults that will destroy your self confidence.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

These are the chickens that are used by the store staff in the back store rooms for chicken olympics before being cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    These are the chickens that are used by the store staff in the back store rooms for chicken olympics before being cooked.

And you DO NOT want to know what was involved in the breast stroke...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

whiskeyman wrote: »
    And you DO NOT want to know what was involved in the breast stroke...

Pole Vault is the more concerning.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Are you talking about hot rotisserie chickens? If so, then they are the same birds as the raw ones on the shelves, or at least they were when I worked in superquinn back in the day.

Wouldn't recommend though, they are almost invariably overcooked to the point of incineration.

Thanks. I'm not into cooking so I assume it's hot rotisserie chicken. The organic option sounds great but I simply want to buy a cooked chicken (normally €5 in Dunnes). Over-cooked isn't a problem as I'd probably do the same myself. So is chicken the lean and healthy best meat option?

Chicken's fine :). If you are worried.about the fat content.just don't eat the skins, the actual meat is pretty low fat, especially the breast meat.

• B0jangles wrote: »

I'd much prefer that to them being undercooked.

I'd much prefer that to them being undercooked.

Well, yes but it's not.a.choice between under and overcooked, spend a tenner on a meat thermometer (hurr) and you get perfectly cooked food very easily.

Chicken's fine :). I.

That's what I'm wondering about. Should young chicks pumped with antibiotics and chemicals be best avoided? Or are corn-fed and more expensive birds the better option?

• B0jangles wrote: »
    Well, yes but it's not.a.choice between under and overcooked, spend a tenner on a meat thermometer (hurr) and you get perfectly cooked food very easily.

When it comes to chicken I always cook it more than recommended to be sure not a fan of taking the risk of being sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Sylvie Uneven Sorbet

Breast is best

That's what I'm wondering about. Should young chicks pumped with antibiotics and chemicals be best avoided? Or are corn-fed and more expensive birds the better option?

It's not something I worry too much about tbh. Unfortunately I think you're unlikely to be able to find somewhere that sells hot cooked organic chickens, the main supermarkets are all selling ordinary battery birds at their hotfood counters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I love chicken but I'm paranoid about handling raw chicken and always slightly overcook it in order to make sure it's ok to eat.

I learned my lesson after a booze filled barbecue back in the 90s where we thought we'd cooked the chicken but it was undercooked inside and we were all very sick from both digestive orifices for a couple of days afterwards. I never want to go through that experience again.:(

Hot rotisserie chicken is fine. But be very careful about eating it shortly after buying it. Storing it in the fridge before it is fully cooled down is not a good idea.

ordinary battery birds

I realise that all animals are pumped to the limit for sale purposes but are poor chicks being pumped with chemicals for my benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Thanks. Honestly never thought about the levels of antibiotics or other chemicals pumped into them... Food for thought.

The cavalier administration of antibiotics in farm animals (used prophylactically in healthy livestock to prevent infection or as a way of boosting weight gain) poses a huge risk to human health. We're very close to the point where drug resistant bacteria will impact on everything from routine surgical procedures to how we manage cancer care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

JupiterKid wrote: »

Hot rotisserie chicken is fine. But be very careful about eating it shortly after buying it. Storing it in the fridge before it is fully cooled down is not a good idea.

This makes no sense, once it's cooked it's cooked.

I realise that all animals are pumped to the limit for sale purposes but are poor chicks being pumped with chemicals for my benefit?

I doubt it very much, as far as I know it's done pretty much indiscriminately to lessen the chance of disease breaking out among the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The only reason for not putting warm food in the fridge is to prevent the temperature rise it would cause, which would affect other food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Any drugs given are given under strict conditions and at times that should ensure the drugs are gone before the meat gets to your plate.
    RasTa wrote: »
    This makes no sense, once it's cooked it's cooked.
    Cooling food down before refrigerating it at home is very important as is making sure that it is covered when cooling down and then reheated thoroughly to avoid contamination and restrict growth of bacteria.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I Hot rotisserie chicken is fine. But be very careful about eating it shortly after buying it. Storing it in the fridge before it is fully cooled down is not a good idea.

I store it in the fridge for over 7 days. Never been sick <yet>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

looksee wrote: »
    The only reason for not putting warm food in the fridge is to prevent the temperature rise it would cause, which would affect other food.

foods in containers also create condensation which can be an excellent breeding ground for bacteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I like a moist bird

Advertisement