Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

tigger123 wrote: »
    The grant for first time buyers is such f*ckin nonsense. Only applying to newly built homes? What's the point in that? So frustrated with the whole thing; rents in Dublin are crazy, which in turn makes it incredibly difficult to get a deposit together, which means you have to continue renting, which means it's really difficulty to get a deposit together, which means etc etc etc.

Its an indirect builders grant lobbied for by the construction industry.

Why the fvck don't they just do something to reduce building costs which would help both builders and buyers????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Nah, looks like it will be more of the same. The pensioners get the biggest boost followed by people with children.

Single childless fellas like myself will probably still be paying an effective 50% tax on incomes over a fairly modest cut off and I'll use **** all of the services these taxes pay for.

The number of childless singles is slowly increasing in Ireland but it is a section of society that gets absolutely rode with taxes and sees the least benefit.

E: oh, and if I ended up losing my home for whatever reason I'd be the very bottom of the housing list so I'd be homeless longer than anyone else in Irish society would

Single fella with a child will pay the exact same as you trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

VinLieger wrote: »

Why the fvck don't they just try reduce costs which would help both builders and buyers????

Because the construction industry is more organised than first time buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

The only people that will benefit from the budget is the folks at the upper and lower ends of the spectrum, all the numpties in the middle that fund it all like me will benefit the least.

The only people that will benefit from the budget is the folks at the upper and lower ends of the spectrum, all the numpties in the middle that fund it all like me will benefit the least.

Hilariously ironic consider they claim they are targeting the squeezed middle this time. They have missed that mark so hard with this one thanks to FF pandering to their lower earning base afraid SF will steal it and then all the lobby groups like the build industry.

Even the child care grant is bogus and completely illogical, cannot believe zappone screwed that up this badly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

How's that working out for Germany then? ;)

Unskilled refugees don't fit into the category I'm referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Still can't quite believe the first time buyers rebate is restricted to new builds.

There is literally no political party representing middle income people and families now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fixed income

No car, don't drink or smoke and own house

I don't care!

Unskilled refugees don't fit into the category I'm referring to.
    He was referring to the millions of Turkish and other gastarbeiter and their offspring who have been coming since the 60s. They didn't really integrate, have generally remained low paid and have only slightly slowed Germany's population aging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Still can't quite believe the first time buyers rebate is restricted to new builds.

There is literally no political party representing middle income people and families now.

From what I can remember when it was around before it was also only for new builds, with the intention to try encourage builders to start building. But we all know where that money ends up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

lawlolawl wrote:
    Nah, looks like it will be more of the same. The pensioners get the biggest boost followed by people with children.

lawlolawl wrote:
    Single childless fellas like myself will probably still be paying an effective 50% tax on incomes over a fairly modest cut off and I'll use **** all of the services these taxes pay for.

Parents also pay 50% tax on income. Could you afford E1000 to get a child minded if you happened to have one. Its a huge expense and it cripples families. And thats only for one child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭techdiver

The number of childless singles is slowly increasing in Ireland but it is a section of society that gets absolutely rode with taxes and sees the least benefit.

E: oh, and if I ended up losing my home for whatever reason I'd be the very bottom of the housing list so I'd be homeless longer than anyone else in Irish society would
    In fairness, the government has to make childlessness unattractive or at least make having children more affordable, the population is aging rapidly and someone has to pay for our pensions

Single income families are also screwed. With one parent staying at home, you cannot transfer all credits and cut offs, which means you are doubly penalised if you want to raise your own children.

Take 2 families with children.
    Family 1 with one person working earning €80,000 per year is worse off than family 2 with both individuals working earning €33,000 each (combined €66,000).

Family 1 take home pay - €4,531
    Family 2 take home pay - €4,546 (€2,273 x 2)

On the face of it, family 1 is "rich" according to our government and family 2 are the squeezed middle! Despite the fact that family 2 has a higher take home pay from a lower gross.

Parents also pay 50% tax on income. Could you afford E1000 to get a child minded if you happened to have one. Its a huge expense and it cripples families. And thats only for one child.

But they get some of that back in children's allowance, back to school allowance and possibly family income supplement depending on their circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Why the fvck don't they just do something to reduce building costs which would help both builders and buyers????

+1

At least they have guaranteed an increase in building costs for for once off houses for first time buyers, this increase will just be absorbed into the price with only the builders benefiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Would I be right in saying that the FTB grant will only benefit people who bought new builds between July and today? After today the developers will start absorbing the grant into the price of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,245 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The childcare grant is for families who make up to €48000 combined.

Jesus Christ.

Vicxas wrote: »
    The childcare grant is for families who make up to €48000 combined.

Jesus Christ.

AND you have to have your child in full time care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

AND you have to have your child in full time care

How could you both afford to work full time, earn a combined income of 48k, and have your children in childcare? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The grey vote, the fiscal space and the old reliables
    Their hands are pretty tied to stop them doing anything radical. They wouldn't get FF's backing.

Not that I think they would go for anything radical anyway.

They need to do something to try and keep a grip on inflation before it kicks off again.

Abolish the PAYE credit and raise the tax bands. Take a little more out of people's pockets rather than giving them extra spending power. Push it into funding public services.

Tax relief for FTBs again is stupid. I know the aim is to encourage more builds as opposed to helping FTBs, but the grant will be consumed by builders, the price of new builds will be beyond the affordability of the lower 50% of FTBs, who will put upward pressure on the second-hand market, whose owners will be eyeing up a new build, putting upward pressure on the price of new builds...

You can't put any money into one part of the housing market without affecting the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Don't give a bollix about the deckchair re-arranging, but having to listen to that absolute muldoon Noonan butcher the English language for an hour and a half with his "two seventeen" this and "two sixteen" that, he can fúck right off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

We spend about 5billion a year on the State Pension. The majority of this money, despite what the various grey lobby groups like to portray, goes to one of the most well off demographics in Ireland today.

The only reason there will be an increase in this payment today is naked opportunism, populism and vote-buying from the bunch of spinless gombeens we see fit to elect to govern us.

Meanwhile vital services will remain underfunded, our educational institutions will continue to drop down the international rankings and the so called squeezed middle will continue to shoulder a disproportionate burden of taxation.

I have no doubt that some OAP's are struggling financially, but let's target these cases, not piss away the money on a blanket payment.

This whole unseemly scramble for our meager resources by various lobby groups and public service unions at budget time is depressing. It showcases our selfishness as a society as everyone tries to get their snouts in the trough at the expense of everyone else.
    It sickens me to my core.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Can someone explain where the childcare money goes? Are we not in a very similar situation to the First Time Buyer Incentive whereby childcare providers can simply raise prices and absorb the money similar to property developers?
    I dont understand where the money goes in childcare, I know that carers in creches are pound for pound of the worst paid professionals in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

seamus wrote: »
    Their hands are pretty tied to stop them doing anything radical. They wouldn't get FF's backing.

Not that I think they would go for anything radical anyway.

They need to do something to try and keep a grip on inflation before it kicks off again.

Abolish the PAYE credit and raise the tax bands. Take a little more out of people's pockets rather than giving them extra spending power. Push it into funding public services.

That's the sensible thing to do, or at least leave spending power as it is. But that's something a government will rarely do. It's all about buying votes, and claiming you're responsible for anything good to come out of it, especially with the state of the government we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Can someone explain where the childcare money goes? Are we not in a very similar situation to the First Time Buyer Incentive whereby childcare providers can simply raise prices and absorb the money similar to property developers?
    I dont understand where the money goes in childcare, I know that carers in creches are pound for pound of the worst paid professionals in the country.

The owners of the creches?

Presumably the owners are the ones coining it in, much like nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Utah wrote: »

The owners of the creches?
    In many cases these are state run creches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

FF buying the pension vote.

Cutest party around will soon be back in full control after buying every section of society.

Populist nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Side Gate

Round and round we go. Nothing changes FG/FF wash and repeat. We deserve all we get as a nation voting these goons in again and again and expecting real change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

JustTheOne wrote: »
    FF buying the pension vote.

Cutest party around will soon be back in full control after buying every section of society.

Populist nonsense.

The elderly and older people vote more by a long shot.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    The elderly and older people vote more by a long shot.

Go Logan's Run on them, that'll soften their cough.

Advertisement