Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much wine to you drink?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

storker wrote: »
    A bottle has about six glasses in it. Given how easy a nice wine is to drink, and the low volume being drunk...(isn't a whole bottle less than two pints of liquid?)...I don't find it astounding at all.

By that logic, it wouldn't be astounding either is people drank a bottle and a half of vodka in one evening - it's easy to drink and sure it's only 2 pints? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Shenshen wrote: »
    By that logic, it wouldn't be astounding either is people drank a bottle and a half of vodka in one evening - it's easy to drink and sure it's only 2 pints? :confused:
    Straight vodka might be two pints, but given how it's normally mixed before drinking, the amount of liquid in total would be much much more.

osarusan wrote: »
    Straight vodka might be two pints, but given how it's normally mixed before drinking, the amount of liquid in total would be much much more.

I still don't quite follow the logic.
    I've no problem believing someone could drink 2 pints of water, or tea, or apple juice in an evening.
    But I do find it astounding that someone can drink a full bottle of wine.
    Actually, I'm not sure what to think about someone not seeing a difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Define "regular".
    I would have said I regularly drink wine, but it's a glass once a week or once every other week. And yes, it would be just one small glass usually.

That's NOT what I meant by regular :D

I'd understand "regular" to mean three times a week. Maybe I should have used the word "often" instead of regular.

Do you never want a second or third glass? I'm not a wine drinker at all, so maybe wine is the sort of drink that you can drink solely for the taste of it?

I love the fruit ciders, particularly some of the craft ones you can get your hands on now, but the thought of only having one purely for the taste of it seems strange to me. I'd definitely want more than one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Buy your wine in a box.

Guilt free, you've no idea how much is gone until the tap stops giving.

And then you take the inside out of the box and squeeze it for the last few glasses.

And then if you blow it up it turns into a little pillow.

Squeezing that last bit out is one if life's under-appreciated pleasures.

• Advertisement

That's NOT what I meant by regular :D

I'd understand "regular" to mean three times a week. Maybe I should have used the word "often" instead of regular.

Do you never want a second or third glass? I'm not a wine drinker at all, so maybe wine is the sort of drink that you can drink solely for the taste of it?

I love the fruit ciders, particularly some of the craft ones you can get your hands on now, but the thought of only having one purely for the taste of it seems strange to me. I'd definitely want more than one.

I drink all alcoholic drinks for taste alone, to be honest. Once or twice a week, I might also have a beer - I tend to drink more beer than wine, as I might share a beer with my husband who doesn't like wine at all, or else have a whole bottle of beer myself. With wine, I always end up with the open bottle sitting in the fridge for ages until I use it in cooking. I never really have more than one glass, to accompany a meal.

As I said, I'm not Irish. The notion of drinking alcohol for anything other than the taste is rather strange to me.

All that said, I come from a family who would (before the EU dropped borders) engage in frequent and substantial wine smuggling from Austria to Germany, and roped us youngsters in from an early age, and I recently won a quiz on wines at an event.

I do love the taste, I just don't like the feeling of being drunk at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I still don't quite follow the logic.

I don't really follow your argument.

Wine is drunk straight, so 750ml of wine means 750ml of liquid.

Vodka is usually mixed, so 700ml of vodka will mean (conservatively, I'd say) 2 or 3 times as much liquid.

Wine will be about 12.5-15%, vodka will be a minimum of 40%.

I can appreciate that somebody finishing a bottle of wine in an evening shocks you, but surely you find it less astounding than the idea of somebody finishing a bottle of vodka in an evening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I drink all alcoholic drinks for taste alone, to be honest.

I call bullsh1t on that. Soft drinks taste good not gargle.

I drink 6 pints a night but it all tastes like sh1te

That's pretty much the only way I drink these days. As a teenager and college student I used to drink with the sole intention of getting drunk. Nowadays I'll have a bottle or two of nice beer or a glass of wine occasionally, like maybe once a fortnight-ish, just to enjoy the drinking of it. I don't really enjoy getting drunk anymore, I prefer to have my wits about me and full control of my faculties. Horses for courses I suppose.
    Why do you drink 1 or 2 beers a'tall so? Why not drink something nice like juice or soda or summat?

Respect either way bro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I drink a bottle every second night but I know it's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Jesus. wrote: »
    I call bullsh1t on that. Soft drinks taste good not gargle.

I drink 6 pints a night but it all tastes like sh1te

Plenty of people like you out there , 6 pints is better than 5 so always buy cheapest regardless of taste , destination is effects of alcohol and not the journey .

I found as you get older your palette will deepen and you will hopefully learn to appreciate and differentiate a good beer or wine.

Plenty of people like you out there , 6 pints is better than 5 so always buy cheapest regardless of taste , destination is effects of alcohol and not the journey . I found as you get older your palette will deepen and you will hopefully learn to appreciate and differentiate a good beer or wine.

I'm afraid I'm no spring chicken so that ship has long since sailed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Was just working it out here, I drink on average about 16-19 pints per week.

...... Of vodka :)

Nah 16 - 19 pints of beer, a 4% beer. I'm a big fan of red wine but even 2 or 3 glasses of it results in a hangover for me so I had to switch to beer.
    (I suppose "had to" isn't strictly true... I could have stuck with water but you know what i mean)

Why do you drink 1 or 2 beers a'tall so? Why not drink something nice like juice or soda or summat?

Respect either way bro

Well, some people like the taste of liquorice. Some even like coffee. Whereas coffee is a taste that will make me throw up almost instantly.

I expect you'll just have to accept that there are indeed people out there who enjoy the taste of a good beer, or a good wine.
    Same as I accept that there's people who enjoy feeling drunk, outlandish as the notion may appear.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Pinot Giorgio is the most watery wine to drink and most of it (not all) is complete dross. And yes it would be often the type of wine people drink when they just want to get drunk.

I find its one of the few wines you can almost be guaranteed to get that's drinkable and not sharp, I hate the sharp taste from what appears to be an awful lot of wines.

I wasn't referring to the Pinot Grigio as being something I would drink when its free unfortunately its very rarely something as nice as Pinot Giorgio when free wine is on offer.
    I drink all alcoholic drinks for taste alone, to be honest. .

People do it for both taste and effect and sometimes one or the other. I love a rake of Guinness of an evening but I also really like the effects of the alcohol. Would I drink Alcohol free Guinness that tasted exactly the same, the answer is no. On the other hand I would drink something I didn't particularly like for the effects of the alcohol and often enough too. Shots being a good example, I don't particularly like Tequila for instance but there are plenty of times were we would stand at the bar doing shots of it for the craic and the effect of the alcohol.

is everybody spelling pinot grigio incorrectly on purpose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Respect either way bro

I don't really understand the question... You wouldn't ask someone why they eat chocolate when they could have a banana.

I don't really understand the question... You wouldn't ask someone why they eat chocolate when they could have a banana.

A banana wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Pinot Grigio is wine for people who don't really like wine. Its like those coffee drinkers who take loads of milk and 4/5 sugars.

Try a nice New Zealand sauvignon blanc instead - should still be decently drinkable but will also actually taste of something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

is everybody spelling pinot grigio incorrectly on purpose ?

No, they're all having a few glasses at home while posting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

People do it for both taste and effect and sometimes one or the other. I love a rake of Guinness of an evening but I also really like the effects of the alcohol. Would I drink Alcohol free Guinness that tasted exactly the same, the answer is no. On the other hand I would drink something I didn't particularly like for the effects of the alcohol and often enough too. Shots being a good example, I don't particularly like Tequila for instance but there are plenty of times were we would stand at the bar doing shots of it for the craic and the effect of the alcohol.

Alcohol-free drinks are just wrong. Once, after a funeral, I had to stay in a bar for maybe two hours and I decided to drink alcohol-free lager as I was driving. Had three pints of the stuff (think it was Kaliber). It was quite a nice drink, but the fact I drank three pints with ZERO effect on me just made me wish I'd opted for coffee instead.

I can appreciate the taste of a nice cider or lager purely for the taste alone, but if given the choice of one or two tasty pints or a gallon of rough, I'd take the rough stuff every time :D

I find its one of the few wines you can almost be guaranteed to get that's drinkable and not sharp, I hate the sharp taste from what appears to be an awful lot of wines.

I wasn't referring to the Pinot Grigio as being something I would drink when its free unfortunately its very rarely something as nice as Pinot Giorgio when free wine is on offer.

So the fact that you happen to like the taste of some alcoholic drinks is just a lucky coincident.

I've given up trying to understand this. I wouldn't eat or drink anything for any other reason than I enjoy the taste, and I avoid getting drunk at all costs. It's one of the unfortunate side-effects of alcoholic drinks, as far as I'm concerned, not something I would seek out at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Do we get wine here or is it that stuff made from fish ?

Alcohol-free drinks are just wrong. Once, after a funeral, I had to stay in a bar for maybe two hours and I decided to drink alcohol-free lager as I was driving. Had three pints of the stuff (think it was Kaliber). It was quite a nice drink, but the fact I drank three pints with ZERO effect on me just made me wish I'd opted for coffee instead.

I can appreciate the taste of a nice cider or lager purely for the taste alone, but if given the choice of one or two tasty pints or a gallon of rough, I'd take the rough stuff every time :D

I'd need to get my mother into the conversation - she considers alcohol-free beers an absolute god-send. When she was over here to visit, it took me hours to convince her that there would not be any pub in the vicinity where she could get alcohol-free beer, she simply wouldn't believe me. We walked in and out of around 10 pubs, I think, before she accepted it.

I dislike getting drunk, my mom hates it with a passion. But she loves the taste of beer and doesn't really like drinking anything else.

So the fact that you happen to like the taste of some alcoholic drinks is just a lucky coincident.

I've given up trying to understand this. I wouldn't eat or drink anything for any other reason than I enjoy the taste, and I avoid getting drunk at all costs. It's one of the unfortunate side-effects of alcoholic drinks, as far as I'm concerned, not something I would seek out at all.

I would like the taste of most of the alcoholic drinks I drink. There are times you might have no choice but to drink a beer you don't particularly like as its all they have on tap or you might get bad Guinness etc which I would force in for a night but I wouldn't drink thinking I didn't like all night every night I drink. Things like shots etc are done more for the craic and the hit of the alcohol, though I do really like the taste of some shots and love straight whiskey etc which I might drink as a shot even if its not really a shot drink.

That all being said, I probably wouldn't drink many or any of the alcoholic drinks I enjoy if there was no alcohol and I go out drinking for the effects more than the taste, like I love an ice cold can of coke but I wouldn't drink 10 pints of coke whereas I would have no difficulty drinking 10 pints of Guinness on a night and love getting drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I'd need to get my mother into the conversation - she considers alcohol-free beers an absolute god-send. When she was over here to visit, it took me hours to convince her that there would not be any pub in the vicinity where she could get alcohol-free beer, she simply wouldn't believe me. We walked in and out of around 10 pubs, I think, before she accepted it.

Where was this?

Nearly all pubs in Ireland nowadays have at least 1 non-alcohol beer available.

Where was this?

Nearly all pubs in Ireland nowadays have at least 1 non-alcohol beer available.

West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hellrun

It's all good poison for you anyway. Everyone has their own taste though, I remember drinking crates of tennents like they were water back in my teens, I wouldnt drink a pint of tennents if you paid me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Never mind the units of alcohol, wine is incredibly calorie dense.
    Averaging 600-700 calories per bottle for red, if drinking a bottle a night thats nearly the equivalent of eating a pizza or chipper every day on top of your regular food intake.

Advertisement