Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much wine to you drink?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Lucyfur wrote:
    I fcuking love wine. I'd put it on my cornflakes if I didn't have to do school runs and sh1t

Me too.. during the summer I had a great time :D I would have 2-3 dry nights though.. just so I could go to the gym without passing out.
    I'm pregnant again now so the auld liver gets an 18 months reprieve.
    Friday night is holy wine night. . I'd have 2 bottles then maybe one on Sat night and Sunday night with a few brandys.
    God, I miss wine ..

I could never have a no mid-week drinking rule. Heading to the pub after work for pints on a Tuesday or a Thursday or what ever is great to break up the week/having something to look forward to that isn't all the way away at the weekend etc etc. Also we have a lot of mid-week work events too and 95% are in the pub or have drink provided and the other 5% we would make it our business to hit the pub after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

Never. Was given a bottle of wine as a Christmas gift three years ago and it's been gathering dust since.

A bottle of 7up wouldn't last a day without being opened by me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

cbyrd wrote: »
    Me too.. during the summer I had a great time :D I would have 2-3 dry nights though.. just so I could go to the gym without passing out.
    I'm pregnant again now so the auld liver gets an 18 months reprieve.
    Friday night is holy wine night. . I'd have 2 bottles then maybe one on Sat night and Sunday night with a few brandys.
    God, I miss wine ..

I am also with child. Thinking of putting wine in the labour bag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

My mum does not drink. Nor does her dog.
    I am adding their allowance to mine. Fck it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

A couple of bottles of wine a week is definitely excessive, your friend would be right to cut back! It'll benefit both her health and pocket :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

About a glass (100ml) with food whenever I feel like it with dinner and maybe couple of glasses once or twice in the evening. Way under the guidelines. I would drink more when going out.

Someone once said about a wine we were drinking: this wine is too good to get drunk on. I like that kind of thinking. I make sure to spend abit of money and buy decent wine and enjoy it. But I feel no need to guzzle up bottles of some slop just so I can feel all fuzzy inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

meeeeh wrote: »

Someone once said about a wine we were drinking: this wine is too good to get drunk on. I like that kind of thinking. I make sure to spend a bit of money and buy decent wine and enjoy it. But I feel no need to guzzle up bottles of some slop just so I can feel all fuzzy inside.

+1 to this - I now only drink nice wine and nice gin and the occasional nice beer.

Obviously about 10 years ago in my student days, I'd be happy enough with your finest cheapest wine/vodka whatever but now since I'm not trying to get rat-arsed 5 times a week, the quality has to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

+1 to this - I now only drink nice wine and nice gin and the occasional nice beer.

Obviously about 10 years ago in my student days, I'd be happy enough with your finest cheapest wine/vodka whatever but now since I'm not trying to get rat-arsed 5 times a week, the quality has to go up.

Yeah basically. Although I can't really stomach vodka. But I remember drinking 'original Scottish whiskey produced in Greece'. We were stranded on some Greek train station playing cards and drinking that from the bottle. One of my classier moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Someone once said about a wine we were drinking: this wine is too good to get drunk on. I like that kind of thinking.
    Same for me and whiskey. I have some good bottles for tasting, and some cheaper bottles for drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Yeah basically. Although I can't really stomach vodka. But I remember drinking 'original Scottish whiskey produced in Greece'. We were stranded on some Greek train station playing cards and drinking that from the bottle. One of my classier moments.

Ha, I know, me neither these days!

One of my friends used to buy Tesco Everyday Vodka during our college days - grim stuff, it would take paint off the wall.

I was a big fan of M&S generic "Spanish white wine" that came in a 1L bottle for about €7 and would have you on your ear. I basically lived on that stuff, and their choc chip cookies.

Classy times alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

1 bottle of 13.5% Wine (750ml) is the same alcohol of 4 cans of 5% beer(500ml) .

So if you're knocking back a bottle of wine a couple of times a week, thats a decent amount.

Not to say i dont do it, but its still a good bit.

1 bottle of 13.5% Wine (750ml) is the same alcohol of 4 cans of 5% beer(500ml) .

So if you're knocking back a bottle of wine a couple of times a week, thats a decent amount.

Not to say i dont do it, but its still a good bit.

That actually makes it appear much less to me. 4 cans I wouldn't even count as drinking but I'd visualise drinking a bottle of wine as being more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

That actually makes it appear much less to me. 4 cans I wouldn't even count as drinking but I'd visualise drinking a bottle of wine as being more.

Are you drinking 5% beer.
    Fosters for example is 4% so thats 5 cans = 1 bottle.
    Or if you drinking those 440ml cans then its nearly 6 cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would have drunk a bottle at the weekends for a period but I barely drink it these days, maybe with food the odd time, maybe. Don't know why - a really good wine can be hard to beat and I thought the rule was once you'd gotten a bit of a taste for it you just wanted it MOAR AND MOAR. I tend to drink only when I'm making a night of it and wine used to make me a bit sleepy and sludgily drunk, I want all the energy I can get!

Some of the responses on here are interesting. I think if you're putting away a bottle every night, you've got a problem, basically. As for the guy who on average drank 24 pints a week and didn't think his intake was too excessive - buddy, unless you're eight foot tall, you might want to go easy there.

Are you drinking 5% beer.
    Fosters for example is 4% so thats 5 cans = 1 bottle.
    Or if you drinking those 440ml cans then its nearly 6 cans.

Usually 4.3 or 4.5%, most of my drinking is pints too not cans as its in the pub. I do look on it as 1 pint = 1 can which isn't really accurate when it comes down to it. Drinking 8 pints is the same as drinking just over 9 cans. I would hardly take them 440ml cans if they were giving them away free, 500ml is already enough short of a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I used to drink a bottle and a half on a Friday night, a bottle Saturday night and maybe another bottle Sunday night.
    All on my own.

Nipped it in the bud when I started craving it Monday and Tuesday etc.
    Now, I have a bottle on a Saturday night and that's it.

It's enough; I don't crave anymore. I drink it much slower too, so it will last me about three or four hours, as opposed to about two hours beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

About 500ml out of a 750ml bottle, once every 10 days or so. I usually stay well beneath weekly recommended units

I believe that a lot of Irish people, mainly women, begin drinking wine because it has connotations for them of socioeconomic status advancement. Think about it - most Irish teenagers when they begin drinking start out on cider and alcopops, with boys progressing to beer and spirits with mixers, and girls typically moving onto some beers, cider, spirits and mixers or cocktails. Drinking wine dring the first few years of drinking alcohol is going against the grain for most young Irish people and is a habit consciously pursued at some point. Personally, I don't mind drinking red wine on occasion but never liked white wine, and I would nearly always prefer a pint of beer. Drinking wine regularly could not but help feel like an affectation to me if I was to begin doing so.

I believe that those people who drink a lot of wine didn't see their growing dependence on alcohol as being as much of a problem when they consumed the alcohol through drinking wine as much as they would have if they were consuming it through drinking beer or vodka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Suuuuurrre OP...a 'friend' went to the doc. That aul chestnut ;)

Cut down on the vino ya booze hound!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I believe that a lot of Irish people, mainly women, begin drinking wine because it has connotations for them of socioeconomic status advancement. Think about it - most Irish teenagers when they begin drinking start out on cider and alcopops, with boys progressing to beer and spirits with mixers, and girls typically moving onto some beers, cider, spirits and mixers or cocktails. Drinking wine dring the first few years of drinking alcohol is going against the grain for most young Irish people and is a habit consciously pursued at some point. Personally, I don't mind drinking red wine on occasion but never liked white wine, and I would nearly always prefer a pint of beer. Drinking wine regularly could not but help feel like an affectation to me if I was to begin doing so.

I believe that those people who drink a lot of wine didn't see their growing dependence on alcohol as being as much of a problem when they consumed the alcohol through drinking wine as much as they would have if they were consuming it through drinking beer or vodka.

I drank an awful lot more vodka than I do wine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Red wine is the only alcoholic drink that has never given me a hangover, so I could easily get through a couple of bottles in an evening. It doesn't seem to get me badly drunk either, and I've never been sick from it, so once I start, I never really feel any urge to stop. I've never got into the habit of drinking though, so I could easily go several months without touching a drop. Unless I'm with someone who's drinking, and I don't have to drive anywhere, I generally prefer a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

kfallon wrote: »
    Jaysus I hate wine!

And I hate wine connoisseurs even more, "Oh that is a very oaky red, it simply dances on your palette" ****. Off. You. Cúnt.

There are two types of wine.
    1) Wine that's nice.
    2) Wine that is not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Does Buckfast count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Duff wrote: »
    Does Buckfast count?

Liquid speed. Ah student memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't drink wine, but I do drink a fair bit of cider, lager and vodka (mostly weekends, occasionally midweek). I don't particularly like wine and haven't drunk any for many years.

What worries me about wine is that is seems so very easy for people to increase the amount of wine they drink without really noticing that they are. I wonder if it's because wine is somehow seen as being a more refined drink, more socially acceptable to the middle classes perhaps?

A good few people I work with will more than happily admit to drinking several glasses a night, most nights of the week. If I drank the equivalent amount of vodka I'm sure they'd be thinking I had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

It ages people terribly, especially men. There's lads I went to school with who should look healthy and fit for their age (early twenties) but could easily pass for mid thirties. I know genetics play a part and all the other usual factors, but binge drinking really does speed up that aging process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

kfallon wrote: »
    Jaysus I hate wine!

And I hate wine connoisseurs even more, "Oh that is a very oaky red, it simply dances on your palette" ****. Off. You. Cúnt.

You hate people who like things that you don't like? How open-minded of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Wine smells like urine. Absolutely horrible stuff.

Give me gin any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The recommended weekly limits are too low LOL.

As I read that post with the limits I was sure I could hear my parents laughter from the ether. Pretty sure they would have passed those limits on the second day of the week. Both manged to reach their mid eighties.

Advertisement