Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live in the Gaeltacht but can't speak Irish

Options
  • 10-12-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I really need some help getting my Irish up to scratch. I live in a Gaeltacht, but my family have absolutely no Irish. I can understand people completely when they speak to me, but when I try to reply it comes out as a stuttery mess. Even when writing I can barely structure a sentence. It's gotten to the point that people don't bother using Irish when speaking to me. How can I improve? Am I a lost cause?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

You're not at all a lost cause. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to tell you how to say something if you got stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 S. Mac C.

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    You're not at all a lost cause. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to tell you how to say something if you got stuck!

Thanks for the reply. It's not really a lack of knowledge on my part. I've been in a Gaelscoil for eight years and did well in JC Irish. I'm expected to be able to converse at this point. When I'm talking to someone the words won't come and I stutter like mad. I was thinking about books or classes or something but I don't know what's best?

S. Mac C. wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. It's not really a lack of knowledge on my part. I've been in a Gaelscoil for eight years and did well in JC Irish. I'm expected to be able to converse at this point. When I'm talking to someone the words won't come and I stutter like mad. I was thinking about books or classes or something but I don't know what's best?

Do you have any speach problems when speaking in English? I wouldn't let that stop you, I'd still insist on speaking Irish, as that's the only way to improve your Irish at this point, considering you've been educated through Irish.

Speech*

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

You maybe find that you can say the things in Irish in your head but can't get it out your mouth!There is definitely a 'Break' between head and mouth and it's only joined by continual practice. I found 'Turas Teanga' very helpful for everyday chatting. You obviously have Irish and you just need to increase your confidence. I am part of a small Irish group...we meet once a week and that really helps as well. Pick a topic each week and prepare for the session before you go. Go n'éirigh an t-áth leat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ChicagoIrish

i'd recommend you just try your hardest sticking to irish and only irish
    read this guy's blog, he's got some helpful tips on learning languages (including irish, which he managed to get quite good in about 2 months after being ****e at it in school, barely passing it in leaving cert)
    if you can get his book in a library you might want to, but dont bother buying it. anything he says in it you can find on his blog
    fluentin3months (dot) com/blog

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The Irish Language stutter is very common from my experience.

Was watching Nuacht RTE before the news this evening. All the politicians and people from around the country were stuttering with their Irish, despire many of them probably being fairly fluent.

That's until they got to Gweedor in Donegal. All their Irish was continual and not stuttering and you really got the feel that they were native speakers.

The message? You will always stutter unless you speak the language. Same with any language, the only way to become fluent is speaking.

Try basic stuff, keep advancing it and it will get quickly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

While I've forgotten all my Irish, I lived abroad for a while and didn't become fluent in the local language, i.e. stutter-less, until I began to *think* in that language. The problems occur when you have to translate between English and the target language in your head (and back again) - that's when your communication breaks down. If you can eliminate that translation layer, you'll be a true native speaker.

Advertisement