Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭geotrig

O1S1N Since my last one went kaput ,I've a lidl soldering iron station thing that was 22-24 quid with 2 tips , now they are the style of tips I've never been fond of but it does the job and for quicker smoother desoldering an cheap desoldering pump

Don't work on anything off the bat just practice, practice, practice on some old bit of junk that is going to be chucked out. Watch loads of training vids and only then move on to some small stuff that you want to do. Honestly people make **** of stuff burning tracks, board ,pads etc by rushing to do stuff at times and i say that as being no expert myself.

My point being you can have all the best equipment in the world and it wont matter a **** unless you practice and get good technique down.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's some nice looking kit, cheers for the links! I think it might be a nice little thing to get into over the looming Winter months.

Yeah that's the fear alright! I remember trying to do some very basic work years ago and making an absolute mess. Haven't tried again since 😅

I've a few cheapo/broken PCBs in the attic that should work well as test PCBs to get a bit of practice in. Being able to actually install a cap kit is high on the list so if I can get to a point where I'm happily removing aging capacitors that will be a great place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

If you ever want any tips @o1s1n just shout, I'd be happy to help out. It's great to be able to do caps etc, especially resurrecting a dead machine, real sense of accomplishment. It's one of those things that's definitely harder to do in your mind, than it is in reality.

Master of the Universe

Appreciate it, thanks!

• Advertisement

Actually. I have that Lidl soldering iron from a few years ago with brand new tips still in the bag.

It's yours if you want it man it's just taking up space here.

Can confirm. Once you get the knack of it it's pretty easy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

in reply to sham69 :

There’s a glass place in inchicore in Dublin I’ve got a few bits off over the years. One was glass for a cocktail table space invaders. I measure up the black outline for the monitor and instructions cards and gave it to them in a file and they added the black on the glass for me. I think they cost 100 quid or so and it was perfect. Rounded corners and all. I’m sure they do smoked glass if you email them. I got pinball glass off them too. I can see if I still have their email if you want it.

Master of the Universe

You're too kind, really appreciate it!

I sent the Lytool one you linked on earlier to the missus and believe it may already have been ordered for Chrimbo, so am good for now 😀

Master of the Universe

So I dug this beauty out of storage for the first time in ten years.

That lad Enternow did a whole cap kit for it which I am lead to believe was a fairly labour intensive job.

I used it for ages back in 2013 and then it ended up moving around different attics as I was struggling to find a spot for it. It's been so long I actually acquired a 1084S for it back in 2014 or 2015 that I never actually got around to trying it out with before it was moved on.

luckily the PSU was also still in the attic. Powered it on for the first time in 10 years and it boots, hurrah!

Why is it in this thread? I can't find the RGB cable for it. So close! I've memories of seeing it in random cable boxes over the years but can't locate it at the moment.

So I am currently not sure if it's actually working. It boots and I get green lights/the disk drive seems to be working but that's as all I can test.

I tried the composite out and only get a black picture. I am not sure if composite out ever worked though...

Have a new RGB cable on order so we shall see what happens once that arrives!

• Advertisement

I vaguely remember doing that one yep. How I managed it without proper tools, skills, or knowledge is beyond me 🤔😬

I'm pretty sure I posted pics of it playing Bart v Space Mutants via WHDload, over scart/rgb

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭barryribs

Has anyone recommendations on soft modding an original xbox?

I did the save game exploit previously but the fat32 file size limits the games as quite a lot are more than 4GB

Is that a thing on soft-modded Xbox's? It's year forever since I dabbled with them, but I don't recall running into file size issues - either dumping discs to hdd directly, or transferring via ftp. Maybe it's an issue I've forgotten about though?

I do plan on doing a thread on the original Xbox likely next year, but I plan on using a modchip, ssd, etc.

Its been a few years since I did it and I think it was via FTP but yea, as far as I remember it was limited to 4gb per image. The thread would be great

It's 4GB per file no? Are there many Xbox games with single files that big?

Thread is a good while off, likely middle of next year. I'm mulling over the idea of the 128MB ram upgrade too, and to throw some of the Chihiro stuff on there purely for tinkering reasons.

Yea its 4gb per file but I thought it was the images that were dropped rather than the extracted directories, I may me remembering it wrong. I'll try to dig it out this weekend and have a look

Yep some of the images may be >4GB, and if that's the case, you can extract the component files from the image on your PC, and then ftp them to the Xbox no? Or am I mixing this up with a modded 360?

I'll have to dig it out to check, but I'd be confident I'd tried that and could only get the ISO file to launch. Admittedly, I didn't put a whole lot of time into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

After watching that 161in1 Neo Geo cart mod, I'm gonna get some bits to see if I can do it...or just knacker a 161 cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I got the SVI-CAS retro cassette deck emulator the other day. It runs off a 9V PSU, which isn't included, and its super fussy about which PSU you do use. If the PSU is not up to scratch you get a lot of noise on the video signal. 

I'm only going to use this from time to time and not for more than a few hours continuously, so I made a small battery pack to make life a bit easier. It outputs a nice clean 9V with no noise on the audio or video that I can detect. 

Ideally I'd have wired the power internally. But the way the SVI-CAS is put together makes that a bit of an issue, and I didn't want to break the thing after waiting over a year for it. So an external battery pack will do the job for now until I decide I cant live with that power lead 🙂

I did a battery test on it this evening and it ran for 4 hours 35 mins, which is 25 mins less than ChatGPT worked out for me, so not too bad really considering the screen is on all the time. 

Parts:

Fairly quickly designed case, 3D printed. 

2000mAh Lithium battery

USB C charger with battery protection

MT3608 Boost module to convert the 3.7-4.2V of the battery to 9V

Total parts cost is a bit less than €5 (AliExpress)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭romperstomper

anyone used a raspi as a nas for a ps2? I have a freemcboot on the way to me and a mx4sio but i was going to fiddle around with with one my older (gathering dust) raspis

inspired by this chat:

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/kwkzlv/using_a_raspberry_pi_3_b_as_an_smb_share_to_load/

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

not sure on a pi as a nas but really anything will do as SMB file sharing is available on every OS.

Go for it. It's much easier once you have everything on the network. All my emulation arcade cabs, networked consoles and mister are like that. It's so handy with just one folder share to update and having everything connecting to that shared folder for the games, artwork, emulators.

I wonder will krikzz add wifi loading to his to his everdrive devices. That would be the end of juggling sd cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I set up a Samba share for OPL in a container using Docker because it needed SMB v1 to work, or at least that's how I got it to work, and I didn't want to jump through hoops to enable ancient versions software.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Friend dropped me in his street fighter 2 1up arcade machine because he wants me to fix it.

Said hes getting graphic glitches, turned it on for a second and looks like the backgrounds are glitching. Sprites are fine and playing perfect. If i didn't know it was a 1up id guess its a boot pcb gone to pot.

Anyone know if this is a common problem or a quick fix? Don't fancy spending much time on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Tow

Fault memory chip maybe. There are experts who can better narrow down where the issue is.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Master of the Universe

Thought my Megadrive had some drifting caps, there's been some interference and shakey picture issues over the last while.

Before looking into that I decided to just get a new RGB cable. Realised I'd been using the same cable since 2008. 16 years of house moves and plugging it in and out of different tv setups.

Splashed out on a Retro Gaming Cables one and the picture is absolutely amazing. Nothing wrong with it at all, my old cable was just knackered!

They're expensive cables and I always wince a bit buying them but they really are worth it.

Master of the Universe

I was trying to get Rondo of Blood going the other evening and noticed that I didn't have any music, just some some effects.

After playing around with some more CD games, I just discovered that you can't get CD audio out of the ext port on the CoreGrafx using the Turbo Everdrive pro. That is really bloody annoying.

Looks like I'll need to replace my ext RGB cable with the below and run the Audio and Video out of a Megadrive cable instead.

Interested in hearing what other folks are using in their setups with this flash cart. RGB Modded PC Engine units using the standard video Din connector?

Edit - looks to be a cheaper solution;

https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product/nec-pc-engine-rgb-add-on-board/

I went with the Turbonanza, which accounts for this issue and gives me CD audio and RGB out of a (new) din port. It's not a plug n play solution though, but does save having an adapter hanging out the back (though the one you linked to does look nice and neat to be fair).

Edit - Post #2 of this thread - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058304878/pc-engine-getting-to-the-core-of-its-issues

Post edited by Inviere on

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Thanks dude! Yeah I actually remember now after looking back through your thread. Not sure how I forgot that at all.

That turbonanza really is a slick setup isn't it?

I'm actually still using one of these for RGB out of my PCE. Believe it or not, the connector to go into the back of the PCE's ext port actually looks bigger than that adapter to get CD audio so I might actually be downsizing it's footprint by getting one of those :D

Advertisement