Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it's funny that a lot of people from the turok development team went to retro studios and perfected FPS jumping in Metroid Prime after failing miserably in Turok.

Now, there's something I didn't know when I got up this morning, hmm....

But then Metroid Prime is AWESOME!
    And given that one of the primary things Metroid is all about is jumping, it's just as well they got the hang of it!

Otherwise it'd be like making a Sonic game without any speed.... Oh, wait a minute....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I preferred Quake 2 on the PS1. It was a stunning conversion and a technical marvel.

I prefer Quake2 on the PC. Poured about 2 years of actual play time in to that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As for Call of Cthulhu on the Xbox, nope never played it, but just looked it up and found it here,
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/home/562603.html
    Sorry I missed it.
    Eternal Darkness and Quake are the closest to the Lovecraft tales in tone, and very good indeed, especially Eternal Darkness, the controls on certain characters is a tad wooden, but only because you are controlling, not a battle hardened space marine but several weaker, more human individuals, none of whom are fighters, and so why should they wield a sword or gun like a pro?

Hopefully a future movie of At the Mountains of Madness will bring us a similarly themed game, although the very good "The Thing" may have beaten them to it!

The Cthulhu mythos is far too strong for a game dev to ignore, perhaps some day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

samurai shodown on my neo geo cd console,still a great game,speaking of Quake,the saturn version was excellent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Played some Desert Strike & Rock n Roll racing earlier, both epic games .... still!

• Advertisement

which port of desert strike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

On the Snes. I originally played it on the mega drive.

me too,had it on Amiga aswell,way better version...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

GCN-Zelda Windwaker
    Sega Mega-Streets of rage
    PS1-Hogs of War
    N64-Duke Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

RichCRX wrote: »
    GCN-Zelda Windwaker
    Sega Mega-Streets of rage
    PS1-Hogs of War
    N64-Duke Nukem

Hogs of War was a fun game, I like Rik Mayall. He was brilliant in Bottom and the Young Ones. I'm almost finished Quake on the Nintendo 64 now, and when I do, accomplishment will wash over me in an awesome wave, but I will be left with a considerale gap to fill. I have lined up Doom 64 next.

N64 - Quake I
    PS2 - Pro Evolution Soccer 6
    DC - Jet Set Radio

The bits where you are challenged by another skater to do specific moves is troubling me at the moment, no matter what I do I can't seem to ace it, so I might go back to Sonic Adventure or bring out the Xbox for Doom 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

The original Resident Evil & Die Hard Trilogy on the PS1.

Die Hard 2 with the light gun :D.

Also JetStrike on the Amiga, anyone remember it?

Doom3 on the Xbox is amazing, really incredible, as if you were getting next gen visuals on a current gen machine, same with Burnout Revenge, looked amazing on the Xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pity the game was a bit bland.

Which?
    Doom 3 I suppose, although, I really enjoyed it, but then, I have room in my heart for many types of FPS, be it, Doom, H*lo, Quake etc.
    I'm enjoying Wolfenstein right now, although Edge gave it a mere 5, and I seem to remember having fun with Prey as well, a game that can be bought these days for less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I ported all my PS1 collection to my psp. Iv been playing through Legacy of Kain Blood omen which i finished last night now im on Soul Reaver. Maybe the best story ever told in a video game, so many delicious twists and turns not to mention excellent voice acting and character design.

Busted out my N64 the other week and me and my mates has a super smash bros session. Then naturally i was lured in to replay Ocarina of Time. This is my all time favorite game, its a blend of childhood memories mixed with great music and immersive gameplay that keep this game close to my heart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Which?
    Doom 3 I suppose, although, I really enjoyed it, but then, I have room in my heart for many types of FPS, be it, Doom, H*lo, Quake etc.
    I'm enjoying Wolfenstein right now, although Edge gave it a mere 5, and I seem to remember having fun with Prey as well, a game that can be bought these days for less than a tenner.

Well that explains the fetish with a painfully average FPS that will not be named :P

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

No matter how many times you say it, it won't come true.

I don't think it strictly qualifies as retro, but Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is basically a Gamecube game in Wii's clothing. It's now the most frustrating game I've had the pleasure of playing, and I still love it. I've experienced the frustrations of the first game where I played through the game on hard mode until I met the final boss and finally admitted defeat that it was impossible to beat him with my characters; thus, throwing away around thirty hours plus of my life. I accepted that because it was 'hard mode', but on 'Normal' for Radiant Dawn, I'm nearly at defeat.

I've proceeded to the endgame without the laguz royals and I think, in so many words, I'm done. I first hit the brickwall in part three, but just managed to spam the boss with Kurth to level him enough to do more than ten damage (this was after 300 turns). Hit it again in part four, where I realized that to survive I'd have to recruit the two dragons in part three, which meant doing the 200 turn part three map again. I'm at the final part and boss, and first impressions don't look good. I'd snap the disc in two if I found it was impossible for me to complete the game, if I didn't want to start all over and playthrough again.

Pity the game was a bit bland.

It's a bit linear and the way enemies just spawn out of nowhere to ambush you is a trick used far too many times but on the other hand, the atmosphere and graphics are amazing and really well done. They could have done better with the flashlight system for light - I think if you could have strapped a flashlight to your gun but still had to find batteries for it and conserve the power, that would have been good.

Yup, I enjoyed it, can't wait for the next instalment, to be called, "DOOM 4" or something original like that!
    id will probably release it after Rage, which also so looks tres cool.
    But enough of this current gen malarkey, back to retro goodness...

I love the GB version of Donkey Kong, the one that also uses the Super Game Boy Snes attachment, it's superb, possibly the best arcade conversion ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭trout

Sega Bass Fishing on the Dreamcast ... it's so bad, it's good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Sonic the hedgehog and shinobi.

That blue hegehog started it all for me. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

]the one that also uses the Super Game Boy Snes attachment,

I picked one of them up about four years ago as part of a snes lot in a charity shop. Still havent tried the thing out yet! Not sure where any of my GB games are though :( I tend to find carts for potable systems go missing way too easily. Especially GB ones as they came in damn cardboard boxes.

I love the GB version of Donkey Kong, the one that also uses the Super Game Boy Snes attachment, it's superb, possibly the best arcade conversion ever!

Donkey Kong '94?

The original levels at the start are only the beginning of the game. After them the game becomes excellent and turns into a superb puzzle platformer.

Donkey Kong '94?

The original levels at the start are only the beginning of the game. After them the game becomes excellent and turns into a superb puzzle platformer.

Not this one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Land

I have this one, it's alright, but it won't save anymore for me :/

Donkey Kong '94?

Here it is,
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy/home/197137.html

It's the one you suggested although it's just called Donkey Kong.
    A very very good platformer, well worth hunting down if you have the means to play it.
    Best played on a Gameboy Advance SP, a Gameboy Pocket or if you have the means, the aforementioned Super Gameboy and Snes combo!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I played myst on the ps1 for the first time there a while ago, but I didnt have the mentality to stick with it. It is a great looking game though. But what is the actual point of it?

Master of the Universe

Myst is a game that will make you feel like a complete moron. Have tried it a few times but havent been able to figure it out.

Should give its big brother Riven a go. seems a bit easier.

God I hate Myst. It's like looking at a slide show of some ones holiday. Except the holiday was in badly prerendered and pretentious land and it's even more boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Even though Myst is a bit boring its still one of the best selling games ever

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

steve_ wrote: »
    Even though Myst is a bit boring its still one of the best selling games ever

Best selling PC game up until The Sims I believe.

Says a lot about PC gamers :p

Advertisement