Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

utorrent working fine on a SMART connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

No idea on DC++?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

does anyone know where to get a SNIP.com invitation code?

i've been using SNIP but found a file on SNIP that i couldnt on SNIP!

or has anyone any suggestions of other torrent sites?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ayatollah, this isn't the place to ask for invite codes for sites that contain copyright material
    Names/URL's removed!

Cabaal,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ayatollah wrote: »
    does anyone know where to get a SNIP.com invitation code?

i've been using SNIP but found a file on SNIP that i couldnt on SNIP!

or has anyone any suggestions of other torrent sites?
    Silly boy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

Sorry

My Bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

i was thinking about chaging to upc but after reading about them throttling torrents and the terrible speeds on torrents im not sure,

is it still worth changing to upc? im only running 1mb eircom atm but at least im getting full speeds,

i would be using it mainly for torrents,

so is there any other good isp`s that have good speeds and dont throttle?

:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

BT if you live a LLU area..

Afaik magnet dont throttle either.

• I must be one of the lucky ones, i get 2.4 mb/s down on a wired connection with upc on all torrents, Only things i have done: Port forwarding, utorrent encryption, using sites that provide enough good peers to max out the connection.

@ronrar, what area are you in? The trend seems to be for some Dublin exchanges to be overloaded (or poorly routed). Anyone i know in the west and south has no issues getting the same speed as me. Friends in Cork, and galway all getting + or - 2mb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrs.ljungberg

Im using utorrent and Im on ntl 20mb , im a bit confused in the settings box that comes up when you click the green tick down the end, should I put my upload or download speed in the box?
    I also keep getting an error message'The process can not access the file as it is being used by another process'
    Anyone know what that is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im using BT with torrents. Obvious if you are using public trackers dont expect good speeds. I use a few private ones and always max out.

Is it usual to be only getting 80/100 kb download speed or have i got some of the settings wrong

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anti wrote: »
    im using BT with torrents. Obvious if you are using public trackers dont expect good speeds. I use a few private ones and always max out.

Anyone on public trackers that are poorly seeded expecting good speeds is a fool, :)

• Is it usual to be only getting 80/100 kb download speed or have i got some of the settings wrong

Definitely something wrong, my guess is you rae using public sites? that is a big no no if you want decent speed. I used to 100kb/s on the 1mb package 4 years ago, on 20 mb you should be getting 2400kb/s!!!

david7536 wrote: »
    Definitely something wrong, my guess is you rae using public sites? that is a big no no if you want decent speed. I used to 100kb/s on the 1mb package 4 years ago, on 20 mb you should be getting 2400kb/s!!!

I use bt junkie but I have a few private trackers in there and the speed is not much better around 200kb, I wonder should I try a different port or if ntl have them blocked

• I use bt junkie but I have a few private trackers in there and the speed is not much better around 200kb, I wonder should I try a different port or if ntl have them blocked

Make sure your speed is not limited below its potential in utorrent, turn on encryption and portforward: http://portforward.com/routers.htm...
    What private sites?(pm me) i will tell you if this is usual speed for them or if you should expect more...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

torrents still seem very popular in ireland. When I talk to people i know irl and they tell me about the things they download, legal and otherwise :rolleyes:, most of them mention using torrents. Seems to be the modern napster of the last few years.

The idea of a file not being stored in any one place, of several thousand people sharing the file together. File sharing in this peer to peer format is safe from some daft greedy american corporation trying to steal a persons right to share with other people. Its fabulous in principal and I highly doubt it the concept will ever be shut down.....because it can't be really. Would be like trying to kill the internet.

I respect the idea of peer to peer alot. But i liken BitTorrent to Linux. I respect the idea of Linux, but in practice I'll always use windows. Its just better in ways that matter to me.

BT has issues.... it's not user friendly, there are too many clients of varying quality out there. Users have to port forward....most unsuccesfully it has to be said. Some ISP's throttle torrents which means lower speeds too. Its rife with viruses and spyware aswell and even diligent users encounter it. And a good chunk of its users are frustrated with low speeds.

Now, some of you think these issues dont apply to you because you use private torrents. But perhaps you have skipped a logic beat here. The idea of peer to peer is to share files with everyone.....thats how the file stays alive. If the torrent scene devolves into a bunch of small seperate groups, it wont last long.

But disregarding that idea for the moment, in my own eyes, 90% of torrent seeders and leechers are joe average users who use public torrents. Ive always found a torrent is usually its healthiest from about 2 days life to about a month. Meaning if you wanted to download yesterdays Olympics program you would be fine, with thousands of people seeding it. But, to use an irish example, what if you wanted to download the Sonia O' Sullivans silver medal race in the Sydney Olympics? Bad example maybe because not many people would want to:). but thats my point, its a few years old and nobody is going to be seeding it. Ultimately, you are relying ONLY on other people to seed the things you want. You are relying on them having the file, being online, feeling like sharing, etc.

My max download speed is now about 850 kbs. Ill rarely ever get that with torrents....and the hassle of finding the file I want with enough seeds to make it worthwhile is just too annoying to do on a regular basis. I prefer straight up FTP or rapidshare. Max speeds, ulpoaded once by users and then the uploader doesnt have to seed or maintain anything. Its there for the whole internet to use.

Point im trying to make is, comments about rapidshare being dead within two years seem well founded. Servers physically hold a single file are vulnerable. But I wouldnt be surprised either if the BitTorrent protocol was dead in a couple years either because of its flaws and replaced by another more efficient peer to peer system. Ill take rapidshare any day of the week.

Kirby wrote: »
    I respect the idea of peer to peer alot. But i liken BitTorrent to Linux. I respect the idea of Linux, but in practice I'll always use windows. Its just better in ways that matter to me.

This is down to the user not knowing how to use Linux
    BT has issues.... it's not user friendly, there are too many clients of varying quality out there. Users have to port forward....most unsuccesfully it has to be said. Some ISP's throttle torrents which means lower speeds too. Its rife with viruses and spyware aswell and even diligent users encounter it. And a good chunk of its users are frustrated with low speeds.

Is is down to the user noty knowing how to use the client and configure their router, also down to the user for downloading from public sites and its also down to the user and other users like them for limiting their upload so that means downloads are slower for everybody...again public trackers and the amount of leeches on them
    Now, some of you think these issues dont apply to you because you use private torrents. But perhaps you have skipped a logic beat here. The idea of peer to peer is to share files with everyone.....thats how the file stays alive. If the torrent scene devolves into a bunch of small seperate groups, it wont last long.

Private sites often have lets say 20-30K users that don't just use their cable or dsl connections for downloading and seeding and instead use dedicated servers....files can be often seeded for years
    But disregarding that idea for the moment, in my own eyes, 90% of torrent seeders and leechers are joe average users who use public torrents. Ive always found a torrent is usually its healthiest from about 2 days life to about a month.

Perhaps but this is again down to joe average users who cap their uploads and instead just leech and giver nothing back, this is not the failing of the bittorrent client or protocal and instead the user for not using it correctly

Its like saying windows is ****e cause I couldn't install it but then I didn't actually follow any instructions. :rolleyes:
    Meaning if you wanted to download yesterdays Olympics program you would be fine, with thousands of people seeding it. But, to use an irish example, what if you wanted to download the Sonia O' Sullivans silver medal race in the Sydney Olympics? Bad example maybe because not many people would want to:). but thats my point, its a few years old and nobody is going to be seeding it. Ultimately, you are relying ONLY on other people to seed the things you want. You are relying on them having the file, being online, feeling like sharing, etc.

Again fault of the average joe soap user who is a leech :)
    My max download speed is now about 850 kbs. Ill rarely ever get that with torrents....and the hassle of finding the file I want with enough seeds to make it worthwhile is just too annoying to do on a regular basis.

Again down to use most likely public trackers with average users on them :)
    I prefer straight up FTP or rapidshare. Max speeds, ulpoaded once by users and then the uploader doesnt have to seed or maintain anything. Its there for the whole internet to use.

Its easy to use bittorrent with upload/download and still be able to use the net you just got to configure things correctly :)
    Point im trying to make is, comments about rapidshare being dead within two years seem well founded. Servers physically hold a single file are vulnerable. But I wouldnt be surprised either if the BitTorrent protocol was dead in a couple years either because of its flaws and replaced by another more efficient peer to peer system. Ill take rapidshare any day of the week.

Perhaps it'll be replaced with a new protocol or it'll just evolve as it is with encryption and other add-ons, at the end of the day rapidshare can be killed off as a whole in one day...bittorrent can't :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    [noparse]
    Point im trying to make is, comments about rapidshare being dead within two years seem well founded. Servers physically hold a single file are vulnerable. But I wouldnt be surprised either if the BitTorrent protocol was dead in a couple years either because of its flaws and replaced by another more efficient peer to peer system. Ill take rapidshare any day of the week.[/QUOTE][/noparse]
    [/QUOTE]
    Caabal fails at bbcode :P

• Cabaal, thanks for taking the time to write that rebuttle! i agree on all points but have no time to write a thesis of similiar length.
    Not to sound like a torrentfanboy...but...If you can configure all the right elements, access private sites (some of which are dedicated to archiving old files that are unavailable anywhere else and rewarding members for seeding indefinitely) then you are, imo, in a much better positon as regards, security, availability and most importantly speed (private sites with multiple dedicated servers seeding files) than if you use any of the direct download alternatives.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Caabal fails at bbcode :P

fixed :)

david7536 wrote: »
    Cabaal, thanks for taking the time to write that rebuttle! i agree on all points but have no time to write a thesis of similiar length.
    Not to sound like a torrentfanboy...but...If you can configure all the right elements, access private sites (some of which are dedicated to archiving old files that are unavailable anywhere else and rewarding members for seeding indefinitely) then you are, imo, in a much better positon as regards, security, availability and most importantly speed (private sites with multiple dedicated servers seeding files) than if you use any of the direct download alternatives.

I'd agree on the aspect that rapidshare is suitable for some people, for example...those with a slow upload speed or those that are lazy and leech :)

But their are plenty of Bittorrent sites out their some pirvate or semi-private that have rules that ensure that users seed files correctly like bittorrent is supposed to be used

I personally would have any interest in using rapidshare for any kind of content,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

uTorrent 1.8 is good IMO.

interesting response, but it just highlights the problems BT has.

Nearly all of your rebuttals are in the realm of "if the user does this" or "when the user configures it correctly" and "private servers..." etc etc.
    At the end of the day, if most users cant operate it correctly as you have admitted, it IS the fault of the protocol, not the user.
    This is down to the user not knowing how to use Linux
    Thats because linux is difficult to use. Most Linux users are complete posers....who run it for "cool" points with their mates but then still dual boot windows when they actually want to DO something.
    Perhaps but this is again down to joe average users who cap their uploads and instead just leech and giver nothing back, this is not the failing of the bittorrent client or protocal and instead the user for not using it correctly

This is completely crazy logic. Its like removing traffic lights from the road network and then saying its the fault of the user for crashing their car. Its the protocols fault for not enforcing the traffic lights. Weird analogy maybe, but i think its pretty apt. You claim that the problem with bittorrent....is its users. Think about that comment for a moment tbh. "The trouble with Scotland, is that its full of scots."

Anyway, this is just my opinion and its nice to see other peoples take on the subject. Just seems to me alot of people have issues with throttling, ports, speeds etc with bittorrent. Seems like these people would be happier with other methods.

interesting response, but it just highlights the problems BT has.

Nearly all of your rebuttals are in the realm of "if the user does this" or "when the user configures it correctly" and "private servers..." etc etc.
    At the end of the day, if most users cant operate it correctly as you have admitted, it IS the fault of the protocol, not the user.

Thats because linux is difficult to use. Most Linux users are complete posers....who run it for "cool" points with their mates but then still dual boot windows when they actually want to DO something.

This is completely crazy logic. Its like removing traffic lights from the road network and then saying its the fault of the user for crashing their car. Its the protocols fault for not enforcing the traffic lights. Weird analogy maybe, but i think its pretty apt. You claim that the problem with bittorrent....is its users. Think about that comment for a moment tbh. "The trouble with Scotland, is that its full of scots."

Anyway, this is just my opinion and its nice to see other peoples take on the subject. Just seems to me alot of people have issues with throttling, ports, speeds etc with bittorrent. Seems like these people would be happier with other methods.
    You seem to be the kind of poster that just wants something to work out of the box.
    Bittorrent is not for you then.

I am the kind of poster who will learn how a new thing works and will then tinker and improve that so that it is customised to my needs. An engineer if you wish. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Whats great about BT is the content available. The bad thing about BT is the speeds. Bram Cohen (the creator of BT) has asperger syndrome which means he's a mathematical genius and extremely technical minded but he is completely retarded when it comes to social skills. So the technology behind BT is great, the social aspects which that technology depends on fail miserably. It relies on a type of "Bittorrent etiqutte" which is total BS and made by someone who clearly has no grasp on the social aspect of things.

Usenet is far superior but its just a pity you have to pay the middle man. I pay enough for my broadband and as long as BT is giving me everything I need for free it'll do. But I'm under no illusions, the protocol sucks big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

The protocol is amazing when you actaully think about what it is doing and how it transfers files by taking little bits off of different people, I'm a joe bloggs user and think it's great, have never had any techno trouble with it, can get anything I want anytime, software, music, film, big thumbs up

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You seem to be the kind of poster that just wants something to work out of the box.
    Bittorrent is not for you then.

I am the kind of poster who will learn how a new thing works and will then tinker and improve that so that it is customised to my needs. An engineer if you wish. :pac:

Dont mistake my understanding of the masses as my own preferences. I love a good tinker. I like when a person can take something good and make it better. But the common perception about is that bittorrent is the best service out there, which it isnt for most people.

With regards to out of the box functionality.....EVERYTHING should work out the box. You shouldn't have to tinker with something to make it work. Options and improvements to make a good thing better is fine. Tinkering to fine tune something to your liking...like a car or projector. But it should work out of the box on its own. Most people have to google torrents ad naseum just to get them to mediocre functionality. Thats my issue with it.

Again, dont get me wrong. Torrents arent evil or anything :) I used torrents for years but mainly because I thought it was the best option for me at the time. I know better now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Dont mistake my understanding of the masses as my own preferences. I love a good tinker. I like when a person can take something good and make it better. But the common perception about is that bittorrent is the best service out there, which it isnt for most people.

With regards to out of the box functionality.....EVERYTHING should work out the box. You shouldn't have to tinker with something to make it work. Options and improvements to make a good thing better is fine. Tinkering to fine tune something to your liking...like a car or projector. But it should work out of the box on its own. Most people have to google torrents ad naseum just to get them to mediocre functionality. Thats my issue with it.

Again, dont get me wrong. Torrents arent evil or anything :) I used torrents for years but mainly because I thought it was the best option for me at the time. I know better now though.

I think you'll see a shift now that we have decent download speeds in Ireland. The limited download speeds on BT will be glaringly obvious. Think of all the people upgrading to 7.6mb or 24mb so that they can download their torrents quicker...they're in for a shock!!

• Advertisement

• I think you'll see a shift now that we have decent download speeds in Ireland. The limited download speeds on BT will be glaringly obvious. Think of all the people upgrading to 7.6mb or 24mb so that they can download their torrents quicker...they're in for a shock!!

Joseph, im sorry but, you have just shown that you have not investigated the possibilities of bittorrent sites fully if you think people are in for a shock as regards speed. There are 100s of bittorrent sites, some fully private, some semi-private that will easily max out a 100mbit connection, never mind a 24mbit one. I have a gigabit server which will frequently get in excess of 50mb/s (50,000kbit/s) down on topsites and 20-30mb/s down on semi-private sites...I am unfamiliar with the possible speeds attainable with rapidshare, please fill me in?

Advertisement