Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Night Runs in Bushy Park

Options
  • 18-01-2019 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster. Currently training for Belfast in May (2nd marathon) and week 1 is almost done.

Looking at my plan, I have some interval/tempo runs upcoming and would like to run these uninterrupted without the need to stop at lights. My work is near Bushy Park and looking at Strava's heatmap, there's a suitable loop in there.

What is it like running there around 6pm during the week? Considering it's still dark at the minute. Or is there an alternative route I should look at? Thanks a mill

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi, How long of a loop do you need? It's too dark in there at night I think but there are loops nearby that you shouldn't need to stop at.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Would love a mile loop. Enough there for variety of runs.

Where would you recommend? Back of the Dodder looks good for shorter intervals (800m) as it's a nice wide path but any longer would have me stopping at lights or running back on myself mid-run. Happy to do that but thought I'd throw the question out there and see if there was something I'm missing. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even for the main loop around the pitches, Bushy gets too dark at night, you'd need a head torch.

I've made the mistake on a run of trying to take a shortcut through the woods there after dark, and realistically until you're 200m from the main road you can't see the ground at all.

Depending on what time you're running at, you could make a loop out of Terenure College: in through the front gate, around the pitches, out the back gate, down the Templeogue road and back in through the front gate. Not a mile, maybe a KM? The back gate doesn't close until 10pm IIRC, but even if it did, you could use the pitches for looping around.

seamus wrote: »
    Even for the main loop around the pitches, Bushy gets too dark at night, you'd need a head torch.

I've made the mistake on a run of trying to take a shortcut through the woods there after dark, and realistically until you're 200m from the main road you can't see the ground at all.

That's my thinking too and the thought of you'd run into...

Might have to wait until the brighter evenings

Depending on what time you're running at, you could make a loop out of Terenure College: in through the front gate, around the pitches, out the back gate, down the Templeogue road and back in through the front gate. Not a mile, maybe a KM? The back gate doesn't close until 10pm IIRC, but even if it did, you could use the pitches for looping around.

Would that be okay? Would feel a bit strange heading into a school grounds.

• Advertisement

Ah, it's mostly public. You have the church and the priests' dorms there too, so there's always a certain amount of public traffic. During the week there are after school activities on till pretty late. So nobody is going to look at you oddly or stop you.

Fair. I've to be careful not to get run over around the back gate with the traffic coming out of there most evenings. Will suss it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Could try your local GAA club. They’re turning on their flood lights every week for 2 hours to encourage ppl to exercise.

https://ot.rte.ie/events/ireland-lights-up/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There is a loop that we use in the club thats around 2.5 miles. There are a few junctions on the route but you don't normally end up stopping as they are not busy and I don't find it impacts the session too much. You start on Templeogue Road outside Bushy Park, head towards templogue past the school, turn left down springfield avenue past Tesco etc. All the way down to the next junction. Turn left, up towards Terenure village, turn left again up templogue road back to where you started. The junction with Bushy Park road is the only one where you may need to stop.

A shorter loop is Starting the the top of fortfield road, head towards templogue, turn right down templeville road, down as far as the roundabout and turn left, down as far as fortfield road again and back up to where you started.

There are a few other loops that are shorter if that's what you are after or ones that include hills etc or even longer loops that are around 5 miles but you will have to stop at lights occasionally. But as I said above I don't think it interferes with the sessions too much.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Could try your local GAA club. They’re turning on their flood lights every week for 2 hours to encourage ppl to exercise.

What a great idea! Times don't work out for me but it's great to see this happening around the country

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    There is a loop that we use in the club thats around 2.5 miles. There are a few junctions on the route but you don't normally end up stopping as they are not busy and I don't find it impacts the session too much. You start on Templeogue Road outside Bushy Park, head towards templogue past the school, turn left down springfield avenue past Tesco etc. All the way down to the next junction. Turn left, up towards Terenure village, turn left again up templogue road back to where you started. The junction with Bushy Park road is the only one where you may need to stop.

A shorter loop is Starting the the top of fortfield road, head towards templogue, turn right down templeville road, down as far as the roundabout and turn left, down as far as fortfield road again and back up to where you started.

There are a few other loops that are shorter if that's what you are after or ones that include hills etc or even longer loops that are around 5 miles but you will have to stop at lights occasionally. But as I said above I don't think it interferes with the sessions too much.

This looks like my best bet. Thanks for such a detailed response. Ran along springfield avenue (the opposite way) earlier in the week and was on a bike lane for most of it. Seemed to be okay but presume it's mostly clear?

Really appreciate your help

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the cycle track at Springfield avenue. Legally it makes no odds anyway, just keep tight to the left. And I say that as a cyclist.

Just as a modification to adrian's loop - if avoiding traffic/junctions is your primary aim:

Instead of continuing straight up to Terenure village, go left into Rathdown Park and down towards Bushy Park that way. It's quieter residential, so less chance of needing to stop.

That said, they are narrower and more up-down type paths. It'll work for fartlek intervals, not so much for sprints.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the cycle track at Springfield avenue. Legally it makes no odds anyway, just keep tight to the left. And I say that as a cyclist.

Just as a modification to adrian's loop - if avoiding traffic/junctions is your primary aim:

Instead of continuing straight up to Terenure village, go left into Rathdown Park and down towards Bushy Park that way. It's quieter residential, so less chance of needing to stop.

That said, they are narrower and more up-down type paths. It'll work for fartlek intervals, not so much for sprints.

Know the turn, thanks. I'll give both a go and see what works. 1st thought is Terenure might be easier because I'd be less likely to be stopped by a car coming from a driveway or a door opening

adrian522 wrote: »

Ran this tonight. Lovely run, thanks for the tip. The bike lane going the other way is much easier as your closer to the wall when sticking to the left. Good surface and little foot traffic to deal with. A dream

Can I ask do you go on the mud trail when you come off the Templeouge road into the estate before the bushy park path? found it hard to see in the dark and avoid branches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

AhhHere wrote: »
    Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster. Currently training for Belfast in May (2nd marathon) and week 1 is almost done.

Looking at my plan, I have some interval/tempo runs upcoming and would like to run these uninterrupted without the need to stop at lights. My work is near Bushy Park and looking at Strava's heatmap, there's a suitable loop in there.

What is it like running there around 6pm during the week? Considering it's still dark at the minute. Or is there an alternative route I should look at? Thanks a mill

If you went up the road a bit there is a 2k(ish) loop with no road crossings at Cheeverstown
    https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2380455511

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭terminator74

Nuttzz wrote: »
    If you went up the road a bit there is a 2k(ish) loop with no road crossings at Cheeverstown

Great suggestion: haven't used this before loop before but I know the roads well. Good footpaths, no pedestrians or driveways.

Nuttzz wrote: »

That looks very good. Thanks a million. Will definitely give it a try

AhhHere wrote: »
    Ran this tonight. Lovely run, thanks for the tip. The bike lane going the other way is much easier as your closer to the wall when sticking to the left. Good surface and little foot traffic to deal with. A dream

Can I ask do you go on the mud trail when you come off the Templeouge road into the estate before the bushy park path? found it hard to see in the dark and avoid branches

No, just stay on the footpath.

Advertisement