Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chocolatito

I am thinking of switching from Virgin broadband to Eir broadband because i'd get the Eir sports pack for free. (which i'm paying for) How reliable is the Eir broadband? Does it go down much? Or is it a bit all over the place during peak hours?

I've heard a couple of bad things about it TBH. (i'm in Cork city)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Their broadband was pretty good for me, and rarely went down (in Kildare). Pretty consistent speeds as well. Technically, they are fine. It was everywhere else that i had issues with.

Be aware, they are losing the Rugby from next year, in case that was a factor in picking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rcp12345

Thanks guys for the reply.
    Looks like Pure telecom has a 1TB limit, but all the ports can be forwarded (at least that's what the sales guy said)
    If you go over 1TB regularly, then there may be charges applied. Could be 1 euro per MB, it depends (on something)

Sky has a 1TB cap as well (www(dot)sky(dot)com/ireland/__PDF/Broadband_and_Talk_subscription_contract.pdf) go to page 30
    Eir might not have a limit, according to www(dot)eir(dot)ie/policy/, but I have to confirm it alongside whether I can forward ports with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Through a work scheme, I can get Sky Fibre (up to 42mbps) with Sky TV and a free 32" TV for €50 - min 12mth contract.

I'm already on 240MB BB only with Virgin for €59 which is going up by another 3 quid in a few months.

Is it a no brainer to move now?

I used BB for netflix and xbox gaming and working from home.

I havent seen many good reviews about sky??

Any advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

I keep seeing posts about Sky having a usage cap or fair usage policy of 1TB but I can not find that anywhere on their site. In fact they seem to go out of their way to emphasis that it is totally unlimited!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »
    Oh i'm fully expecting a few more bills from them, and the can **** right off. I'll pay this months one, and then i'm done with them forever.

So far Pure is working well. Actually got higher download speeds than i seemed to before, while downloading BF5. Over 4mbs at one stage.

Where are you in the town roughly because thats very slow download speeds compared to mine.
    Im getting a solid 100/20 and always have, typical downloads of 12mb per sec.

rcp12345 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the reply.
    Looks like Pure telecom has a 1TB limit, but all the ports can be forwarded (at least that's what the sales guy said)
    If you go over 1TB regularly, then there may be charges applied. Could be 1 euro per MB, it depends (on something)

Sky has a 1TB cap as well (www(dot)sky(dot)com/ireland/__PDF/Broadband_and_Talk_subscription_contract.pdf) go to page 30
    Eir might not have a limit, according to www(dot)eir(dot)ie/policy/, but I have to confirm it alongside whether I can forward ports with them.

Sky dont have a limit eir dont either since september for new customers . existing customers can ring to get it removed now too which i have done.

Eir service is great for me but im only 100m from the cabinet, if theres an issue their customer care is by far the worst out there right now hence i cannot recommend eir, check out the talk to eir board here on boards to see the state they are in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote: »
    Where are you in the town roughly because thats very slow download speeds compared to mine.
    Im getting a solid 100/20 and always have, typical downloads of 12mb per sec.

Seriously? That's way better then i've ever gotten. I'm the far end of town, near the old Hazel, but it's supposed to be really close to one of the junction points, so would have thought it higher speeds were available in town, i would have gotten them. Apparently not.

God, 12mb download speeds...i've dreamed of that since i left Dublin and my precious 350mb UPC connection.

Kiith wrote: »
    Seriously? That's way better then i've ever gotten. I'm the far end of town, near the old Hazel, but it's supposed to be really close to one of the junction points, so would have thought it higher speeds were available in town, i would have gotten them. Apparently not.

God, 12mb download speeds...i've dreamed of that since i left Dublin and my precious 350mb UPC connection.

Yep seriously, your welcome to check it out any time here.

There is a fibre cab out just past the Hazel near the gateway for the canal walk, would be great if you were connected to that one.

Here is just done this speed test there now.

7799374992.png

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Just moved into Castleknock and looking at providers.

The best two options at the moment look like:

Vodafone - €20 per month for 6 months, then €40 per month for 6 months, then €45 after. Upload of 20mb Download of 100mb.

Virgin - €35 per month for 6 months, then €54 per month after. Upload of 24mb Download of 240mb.

I would only use this for streaming and downloading the odd game.
    Does anyone from this area know if Vodafone speeds are fine for this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Tobias Tangy Gateway

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    Just moved into Castleknock and looking at providers.

The best two options at the moment look like:

Vodafone - €20 per month for 6 months, then €40 per month for 6 months, then €45 after. Upload of 20mb Download of 100mb.

Virgin - €35 per month for 6 months, then €54 per month after. Upload of 24mb Download of 240mb.

I would only use this for streaming and downloading the odd game.
    Does anyone from this area know if Vodafone speeds are fine for this?

Thanks

With Vodafone the speed you get will depend on the distance you are to the cabinet or exchange whereas with Virgin you should be pretty much guaranteed to get the quoted speeds. Unless Vodafone have explicitly told you that you will get 100/20 be wary about signing up until your actual speed is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

With Vodafone the speed you get will depend on the distance you are to the cabinet or exchange whereas with Virgin you should be pretty much guaranteed to get the quoted speeds. Unless Vodafone have explicitly told you that you will get 100/20 be wary about signing up until your actual speed is confirmed.

An agent in store can tell you the exact speed at your address

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CakeLumps

Just had a technician from lightnet out to see if we can get somewhat decent Internet at home. Even though houses surrounding us have fibre, we are unable to get it for some reason. Was told there was some trees blocking the way maybe 70 metres away, so we wouldn't be able to receive decent speeds. Our internet is so bad that even on good days I am unable to do a speedtest, as the download fails. Im at the end of my rope as my entire family rely on internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 emilrasyad

Currently on Vodafone Broadband at Blakestown Road, Blanchardstown, modem/router using Linksys X6200

8021466747.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I want to apply for a home customer support agent position that requires a wired connection either ftth or fttc. we have fibre in our area and the house is about 50 yards from the cabinet. but the socket will need to be installed in a 3rd floor bedroom that is a converted attic.

what kind of costs am i looking at for installation and the service needed?

after your probation period the company will provide you with the internet for free and they use eir as their provider.

it looks like to get eir you have to ring a provider like Digiweb, and it looks like they charge 55 a month, doesn't say anything about an installation charge. is that a typical price for fibre now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

it looks like to get eir you have to ring a provider like Digiweb, and it looks like they charge 55 a month, doesn't say anything about an installation charge. is that a typical price for fibre now?

You are confusing things here.

OpenEir owns the networks and installs the line.

To get a line, you can ring any of these providers: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ and pricing typically is from 40 EUR and upwards.

However, if the company you want to work for uses Eir, then you probably have to order from Eir. Otherwise you'll be stuck with 2 bills after the probation period, because you still might be in contract.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Marlow wrote: »
    You are confusing things here.

OpenEir owns the networks and installs the line.

To get a line, you can ring any of these providers: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ and pricing typically is from 40 EUR and upwards.

However, if the company you want to work for uses Eir, then you probably have to order from Eir. Otherwise you'll be stuck with 2 bills after the probation period, because you still might be in contract.

/M

yeah I'm still confused as they're availability map is for eir, but it appears that their provider is Pure Telecom. I'm guessing they just piggyback on eir lines? they are 44 a month for broadband only, but i think i am required to have an active landline as well so probably still be 55ish I'm guessing.

I also need to see if they will install a socket into a 3rd floor bedroom that is a converted attic, which is the only suitable spot for a home office.

yeah I'm still confused as they're availability map is for eir, but it appears that their provider is Pure Telecom. I'm guessing they just piggyback on eir lines? they are 44 a month for broadband only, but i think i am required to have an active landline as well so probably still be 55ish I'm guessing.

You are still confusing things. You need to stop with that old fashioned eircom thinking.

OpenEIR own the lines. Not Eir, not anyone else.

Any of the providers in the list I linked can get you broadband using OpenEIRs lines. And no, you don't need an active phoneline unless the provider requires it. Most don't. Eir doesn't even come into the picture.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Eir and Openeir are two seperate companies. Openeir own all the lines and rent them out to the providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

"Eir and Openeir are two seperate companies. Openeir own all the lines and rent them out to the providers. "

Technically true, but they are subsidiary of Eir.

So we're into Chinese walls and all that rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just wondering about this 1gb fibre speeds. The rolloutmap shows that my area of Cork City (Wilton) should have Fibre, the box is basically next to my house actually, yet it shows I can only get 90mb download speeds. I believe I am just confusing things, but you can get 1gb in the city centre, just now the suburbs? Anybody know when it could be available?

paddy19 wrote: »
    Technically true, but they are subsidiary of Eir.

So we're into Chinese walls and all that rubbish.

No .. they are a subsidiary of eircom Limited, Registered as a Branch in Ireland Number 907674, Incorporated in Jersey Number 116389.

Eir is one subsidiary, who sell phone services, mobile services and broadband.

OpenEIR is another subsidiary, who owns and operates the entire network and is not allowed to talk to Eir directly.

Stop confusing people.

Any of the operators on the link I posted above is equal with "Eir" ... or better referred as Eir retail.

/M

"Even though houses surrounding us have fibre, we are unable to get it for some reason."

Talk nicely to you neighbours, see if they are amenable to sharing resources, either by wire connection or wifi.

Before the usual yahoos have a fit, it is not criminal to share resources.
    It might be in breach of their contract (probably buried in section 984 C III) but is not a crime.

Technically the supplier could cut you off for breach of contract but I'd doubt if it would ever come to that.

"Stop confusing people."

So now we have Eir, Open Eir, Eircom and Eir Retail, clear as mud.

What a load of crap, nobody cares whether it's eir or eircom or open eir or Eir Retail or Eir Business or Eir at home.....

There all owned by the same outfit.

And as for "is not allowed to talk to Eir directly."

"Directly" is the applicable word....
    Chinese walls very rarely work where the two companies have the same owner, with the same objective to make as much loot as possible and to beat the opposition in every edge of the law way possible.

Tell me it isn't so with open eir, it will be a first.

They share a lunch room :) ..

No ...

the important thing is, that these days you do not have to go to Eir. The way it has been set up and as the regulator requires it, you can go to anyone on this list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

It will be a one stop shop. You don't need an active line, you don't need to order with another company to get a line, you don't need to talk to Eir/Eircom/OpenEIR ..... it doesn't matter.

You go to the provider and they will deliver the product they can and you want. End to end.

That's where i say: stop confusing people.

Pick the provider you want to use or the pricing/quality that suits yourself or the contact period that suits your needs. ... end of story.

/M

"They share a lunch room ..:) "

How terribly convenient!

Fair enough on the one stop shop.... still as betting man I'd be inclined to go with Eir...not insinuating in any way that open Eir would give their canteen buddies that extra tweetch of attention.

Not like the bankers, or the lawyers or the accountants or the journalists or the .......

paddy19 wrote: »
    Fair enough on the one stop shop.... still as betting man I'd be inclined to go with Eir...not insinuating in any way that open Eir would give their canteen buddies that extra tweetch of attention.

See ... this is where it gets complicated. Eir has a front end sales system to place orders with OpenEIR. Sometimes it goes wrong and nobody has access to the back end system to fix it.

Have you heard about the waiting times getting to talk to somebody in Eir recently ? . Mjaeh .. 45-60 minutes is not uncommon.

Did you know, that Eir fired they support contractor recently, because it was crap ?

Oh .. and how many times a year are they in court because of getting their billing wrong ?

.. Just saying. Your logic might bite you in the arse in reality. It's best to order from those you feel comfortable with. Each provider has the same access these days. Unless they complicate things on their own end.

/M

Fair point.

I shouldn't assume malevolence when sheer incompetence will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Completely confused but here goes.
    Live rural.
    Had Eir call last week.
    Cable has been ran to right across the road.
    FTTH, fibre, now available to us. Speed 1000mbits.
    €100 set up/get cable to house fee. For the first year it's €60pm rising to €80 thereafter, but husband reckons we can drop to €60 to slower speed at that stage as it's expensive.
    Two sales reps from Eir called to tell us the above.
    Wanted to come into the house to discuss and sign up.
    I was going.out so asked them to leave leaflets and any info.
    They said they had none.
    Got quite fed up when I wasn't willing to sit down with them.
    Eventually they said look it up online. And apparently we'd have a 2 week cooling off period to decide if we were happy with it if we decided to go with them.

Questions, from what I read both here and reviews, I should stay away from Eir, would we be able to cancel easily within that 2 weeks cooling off period? Would we be able to go to a lower package after the 12 month package has ended?
    We currently have Imagine, which is obviously slower, drops now and then,no real contact with customer service.
    Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

There is also a 40 EUR activation fee on top of the 100 EUR installation fee.

Their pricing is here: https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Other providers you can also look at, that can offer service on the same fibre, are listed in this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057927096

/M

Advertisement