Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark mode on Touch Site

• 25-11-2020 5:37pm

Is this feature ever going to make its way over from the main site onto to the touch site? It's one of the features I miss from the desktop site.

Also it it ever planned to do away with the separate mobile site and instead develop a modern site that can scale automatically to different device sizes?

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Clear Air Turbulence, thanks for your suggestion.

A dark mode on mobile is something that we are considering pursuing. There are currently no plans to do away with the Touch version of the site - there was previously the Responsive site that was designed across mobile and larger devices, but it resulted in too much upkeep with the various versions of the site and any development work was doubled (if not more) up on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dark mode was available on the touch site up until about a week ago. There was an icon down the very bottom of the page. It is gone now though. Think its disappearance coincided with the pop up for cookies or whatever it was about a week ago. Any way we can have it back?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

The team will be looking at this asap, hopefully we'll have that feature back soon :)

I only post from laptop, but like to browse mostly on phone..... Alas, now with that recent cookie pop-up mallarkey I no longer browse on mobile; which makes it *awkwarder :P

Another + 1 for this 'dark mode' on touch site - seems to be something similar to the query I had on here recently..

So, I don't post on phone, but if dark mode comes back in for touch site I wonder if I can clear all searches/cookies etc... and click on 'dark mode' once, will that be the default setting, or does one have to be "logged in" to avail of this dark mode on phone? Can a 'lurker' go dark too?

I never bothered with, or realised this function was available on touch site; as like I said Boards, or their 'cookie partners' never knew who I was, as to all intents and purposes, I was just another anonymous lurker.

I think this new 'accept all cookies' type thing will mean less traffic on this site. Seems one can't hardly click on any site nowadays without having to accept them bastid cookies :o If i can't be reasonably anonymous on my phone at least, I'll be less likely to keep posting on here. That's just how i feel about it though; there's thousands more posters on here; most of whom i presume won't be too put out by this phased erosion of privacy 'across the Board' - half a pun intended.

*Easy to keep up with threads I'm following on the phone, as it's smaller and can have it with me when not at home...

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

The dark mode on touch is a feature we were testing with mods & subscribers which is why Almighty Cushion had access to it. Once it's been updated and opened up to all users, it’ll be available to anyone, logged in or out.
    It does rely on a cookie though so the cookie consent might impact on its functionality.

• Advertisement

Just discovered a workaround for anyone who is interested there is a Firefox add-on called Dark Reader (maybe also available in chrome) that enables dark mode on websites it works with this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Is this feature ever going to make its way over from the main site onto to the touch site? It's one of the features I miss from the desktop site.

Also it it ever planned to do away with the separate mobile site and instead develop a modern site that can scale automatically to different device sizes?

Are posts not dark enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just discovered a workaround for anyone who is interested there is a Firefox add-on called Dark Reader (maybe also available in chrome) that enables dark mode on websites it works with this site.

Holy shít. That works really well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement