Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustration!

• 24-03-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Determined to find my first cache, I knew that I would be passing through Adare, Co, Limerick very late one night recently.

So, in preperation I looked for the details and coordinated of the Around Adare -East Entrance. I even read the log on Geocaching.com to read people's experience of finding it. This one is in a location visible to passing traffic on a main road. Won't be an issue at 4am I was thinking to myself.... Well it turns out that lorries use the parking area as an overnight stop.

A lorry was parked up and it's windows curtained. I didn't stop as I didn't want to give the sleeping lorry drive a small heart attack if I woke him up prowling around outside his lorry in the early hours of the morning! Imagine trying to explain Geocaching to a sleepy and possibly irate gentleman!!!

Wil try again for this one...

Does anybody else have the experience of being so close yet so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Absolutely too many to remember. It happens, it's all part of the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'm new to geocaching and for my first attempt I tried one a short drive from where I work. The comments on the cache were mostly along the lines of it being so easy to find that it could be seen from the car and the hint was "If you need a hint for this one - maybe geocaching isn't for you"! Could I find it? Not a chance, frustrating but I'll try again this week.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I'm new to geocaching and for my first attempt I tried one a short drive from where I work. The comments on the cache were mostly along the lines of it being so easy to find that it could be seen from the car and the hint was "If you need a hint for this one - maybe geocaching isn't for you"! Could I find it? Not a chance, frustrating but I'll try again this week.

I'm fairly sure I know the cache you're talking about if your location is right. Beside the airfield is it?

I'm fairly sure I know the cache you're talking about if your location is right. Beside the airfield is it?

Heh, you got it! Bit of a litter blackspot too.

Heh, you got it! Bit of a litter blackspot too.

That one is actually a little bit trickier than the hint would have you think as far as I can remember. It took us a few minutes to find it. I won't ruin it on you but it's definitely there! Maybe go for another easy one in the mean time, especially considering you're yet to find a cache, and come back to that one in the future.

• Advertisement

That one is actually a little bit trickier than the hint would have you think as far as I can remember. It took us a few minutes to find it. I won't ruin it on you but it's definitely there! Maybe go for another easy one in the mean time, especially considering you're yet to find a cache, and come back to that one in the future.

I found one on the way home that evening actually so at least it's one under my belt. I'll give it another go this week though, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I know this one and I spotted it from my car sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I attempted a Cache down here in Waterford 3 times before I eventually found it. Had the GPS with me each time. When I did find it, it was staring me right in the face, and I had no idea how I didn't see it the first time! Just one of those things that happens sometimes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MunsterGeo

Tried again and yet another lorry parked in the spot again! Its a popular resting spot for the drivers.

This cache is now teasing me when I drive past :eek::)

From what I'm reading, the seemingly easy caches are perhaps sometimes the ones that offer an unexpected challenge and a bit of fun.

I'm due to be on the road over the weekend and there are two caches I've noted on my route. I'm hoping to nail both and with it being a round trip it doubles my chances of getting both :D

Advertisement