Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

personal loan interest rate calculation.

• 07-03-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

About to ask a very silly question, but hoping you will go easy on me.

I took out a personal loan, the credit agreement specified x amount of payments weekly for the specified period of time.
    Also stated cost of credit as x.

weekly repayment x number of payments is equal to this amount. So far all is grand and I understand that perfectly.

However I am also being charged interest every quarter on top of this. Overall this is increasing the cost of the loan far in excess of what's in the agreement.

so instead of paying back say 24,000 on a 20,000 loan as stated in the agreement I will pay in excess of this. Going by current amounts charged each quarter to date, roughly 5,000 than i had expected to pay overall. Bringing overall cost of credit to almost 9,000.

I've also been ploughing extra payments in regularly to get loan cleared earlier, save on interest etc, but am worried I'm paying a lot more for the cost of borrowing than I was told.

What did I miss in the initial agreement? It's a variable rate but the changes haven't been so high to account for an additional 2,300 in interest so far.

Any information you can give me to understand why there are extra quarterly interest payments on top of the loan repayment amount/cost of credit outlined in the agreement.

Thanks, and apologies if this is a really basic question.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement