Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6 Nations TV contract

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I may be completely wrong here but I don't think rugby is high on Sky's priority list at present. Soccer is their main focus. If Amazon are as wealthy as we think they are they could win the 6N contract but that is only a hunch I have and nothing more.

Well I don't know how wealthy you think they are, but they have roughly $80bn in cash on hand!

I don't think having the money available is the obstacle to Amazon buying these rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Well I don't know how wealthy you think they are, but they have roughly $80bn in cash on hand!

I don't think having the money available is the obstacle to Amazon buying these rights.

In your view what is the obstactle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

probably rights to broadcast across europe. With the nations cup the rights were only for english based prime viewers, especially now that the uk is a third country

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I just don’t think it’s the type of rights Amazon are interested in. They tend to go for stuff that’s opportunistic, or that’s tailor made for them (as the Premier League package they won effectively was) or that doesn’t require them to do host broadcaster duties. I was surprised when they got involved with the Nations Cup but it came right in their peak sales period and was a one-off opportunity grab.

If this goes to pay TV I am almost certain it will be Sky. Do not rule out an arrangement where Sky gets exclusive U.K. rights and shared rights in ROI where RTÉ or VMTV could show Ireland games on an non exclusive basis and Sky would have the rest of the fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

In your view what is the obstactle?

Absolutely no idea!

I’d imagine there are considerable operational overheads to managing relationships with all the broadcasters and the threat of these being forced to FTA in any given country etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

ec18 wrote: »
    probably rights to broadcast across europe. With the nations cup the rights were only for english based prime viewers, especially now that the uk is a third country

UK viewers, not English. I watched it on Prime in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I thought the plan was to have it on pay per view but some games(Maybe 1) per weekend would be on FTA.
    The government before had mentioned about the games but that was because some TD wanted to see a Leinster or Munster match in HC and couldn't watch it on RTE. Was confused why it wasn't, then was told RTE waste their entire budget on terrible TV presenters

With Covid and the money the unions are losing this will move to pay per view. Hopefully Sky get it, can't stand BT. WOuld be good then if Sky get Pro14

I maybe wrong but I get the feeling here that those on this forum who live in the south of Ireland definitely don't want Amazon to get this contract whereas here in the north Amazon winning the rights wouldn't be as big an issue as we can subscribe to it and at present £7.99 a month is a reasonably fair price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I maybe wrong but I get the feeling here that those on this forum who live in the south of Ireland definitely don't want Amazon to get this contract whereas here in the north Amazon winning the rights wouldn't be as big an issue as we can subscribe to it and at present £7.99 a month is a reasonably fair price.

It can be done in the south also..quite a few did it for the PL footie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

That's not an unreasonable amount for most but the fact of matter is , if you put rugby behind a paywall it'll reduce the growth of the game . Less viewership leads to less people following it which in turn will lead to less participation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It can be done in the south also..quite a few did it for the PL footie

Its a lot more difficult now after Brexit. Since Brexit prime cant be watched in Ireland unless you have a very good VPN, because amazon block a lot of teh VPNs. before as long as your account was a british account you could watch it in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its a mild nightmare for me in Europe. I can get ITV/BBC legally no bother, but for the Autumn games they were unavailable on Prime where I am. So basically couldn't legally watch them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Its a mild nightmare for me in Europe. I can get ITV/BBC legally no bother, but for the Autumn games they were unavailable on Prime where I am. So basically couldn't legally watch them anywhere.

I've given up on trying to legally watch games.

I need a subscription to pro14 tv, ziggo sports for the 6 nations, no idea how to get champions cup.

so €25 a month and champions cup is not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Podge_irl wrote: »

You didn't miss much in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Amazon is perfect in the South as well for me anyway

sebdavis wrote: »
    Amazon is perfect in the South as well for me anyway

Out of interest how do you receive it?

Amazon Prime Video is available here and has been for years, both as a stand-alone option and as part of a (U.K. or otherwise) Prime subscription.

Unlike Netflix, Disney+, and virtually every other service, Irish Prime Video is completely separate from U.K. Prime Video and doesn’t have the same catalogue or indeed sports rights. Indeed for a long time the catalogue was markedly inferior - that is not really the case now. Still, due to this, a lot of people (on Boards at any rate) had used various workarounds to subscribe to U.K. Prime Video. Amazon were extraordinarily happy to facilitate this (even going so far as to facilitate moving people from Ireland to U.K. on relatively little proof of U.K. residence) but this all came crashing to an end with Brexit and the U.K. leaving the Portability Regulation which allowed you to take your home country streaming content abroad. (Note: most other implementations of the Regulation had restrictions requiring you to “go home” after a certain period or lose access. Amazon never required this).

Irish Prime Video has relatively little sports rights. The two main ones are ATP and WTA tennis and (non exclusive and live only) NFL Thursday Night Football. No Premier League and certainly no Autumn Nations Cup. Both by pure coincidence went to Premier Sports.

icdg wrote: »
    Amazon Prime Video is available here and has been for years, both as a stand-alone option and as part of a (U.K. or otherwise) Prime subscription.

Unlike Netflix, Disney+, and virtually every other service, Irish Prime Video is completely separate from U.K. Prime Video and doesn’t have the same catalogue or indeed sports rights. Indeed for a long time the catalogue was markedly inferior - that is not really the case now. Still, due to this, a lot of people (on Boards at any rate) had used various workarounds to subscribe to U.K. Prime Video. Amazon were extraordinarily happy to facilitate this (even going so far as to facilitate moving people from Ireland to U.K. on relatively little proof of U.K. residence) but this all came crashing to an end with Brexit and the U.K. leaving the Portability Regulation which allowed you to take your home country streaming content abroad. (Note: most other implementations of the Regulation had restrictions requiring you to “go home” after a certain period or lose access. Amazon never required this).

Irish Prime Video has relatively little sports rights. The two main ones are ATP and WTA tennis and (non exclusive and live only) NFL Thursday Night Football. No Premier League and certainly no Autumn Nations Cup. Both by pure coincidence went to Premier Sports.

Thank you for very clear explanation.
    Just one more question.
    Why is Premier Sports Pro 14 coverage geo blocked in ROI?

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thank you for very clear explanation.
    Just one more question.
    Why is Premier Sports Pro 14 coverage geo blocked in ROI?

Cause Premier Sports is included in Sky's Sports Extra bundle, and Eir have the exclusive rights to the ProWhatever here.

If it wasn't geoblocked people would be able to watch the prowhatever without an eir sub.

awec wrote: »
    Cause Premier Sports is included in Sky's Sports Extra bundle, and Eir have the exclusive rights to the ProWhatever here.

If it wasn't geoblocked people would be able to watch the prowhatever without an eir sub.

Effectively yes.

eir Sport bought rights for the Republic of Ireland only, and Premier Sports bought U.K. rights only.

Therefore Premier Sports is blocked in the Republic of Ireland during Pro14 fixtures, and (presumably though I cannot verify this) eir Sport is conversely blocked in Northern Ireland (where it is only available as a bonus channel for Premier Sports subscribers anyway).

At the time the deal was done both companies had a formal alliance stemming from their mutual history as Setanta Sports. Eir had access to all of Premier’s content bar GAA and eir Sport 2 was effectively a rebadged version of Premier Sports 1. That broke up (mostly) when Premier decided it wanted back into the ROI market and bought the Premier League 3pm rights without eir’s involvement.

• Advertisement

Just to say that Eir Sports is not geo blocked here in N.Ireland when Pro 14 is shown.

Advertisement