Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Favourite Christmas Advert - The FINAL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Dare I say it, have we lost our collective appetite for the christmas tournaments!? Or are we all just too busy these days?
    Seems so much quieter the last week or so.

I think it's more a general drop off in posts across the board. Has gone very quite the last week or so. Not sure if its the good weather, regulars busier or Christmas just not people's mind as much. Probably a combination plus other reasons.

Edit: On a side note, I think which ever one followed the movie one was going to find it hard. The movies one just took off and was hard to even keep up at certain times!
    PaulT21 wrote: »
    Just to clarify as I was not up on the last tournament:o

Is it nominations first ?

Followed then by a short list and then a final vote:D

Or am I all wrong:confused:

Yep, you nominate as many ads as you like. The nomination process closes Friday I believe.

All ads are ranked based on the number of nominations and then its into a head to head battle. Everyone votes for one ad and its first one to 4 votes in first round, 5 votes in second etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes just busier here this week anyway! Sorry Im crap at links so mine are:

Coca Cola original long version, holidays are coming! ;)
    Pennys- got a whole lot of things :D
    Budweiser horse ad, aww
    ESB- I think Im going home :(
    John Lewis- penguin one, awww
    Cornflakes ho ho ho girl, :)
    Guinness- dont forget to turn the lights off :cool:

I'm another that can't do links, I use the touch site, so I hope my descriptions are enough :)

Original Budweiser ad with the horses
    Original Coco cola holidays are coming
    Penneys, got a whole lot of things for Christmas
    Cornflakes, kids waiting up for santa
    An post, we're walking in the air
    Mcdonald's ad with the mum and the kid that's growing up
    The lidl ad with the family bringing grandad back to the family home (I cry every time)
    The woodies ad from 2020, granny and her new gate
    Aldi's Kevin the carrot ripping off top gun

John Lewis ads:
    The penguins
    Man on the moon
    The bear and the hare

Radio ad: Barry's tea with the train

Coca cola with the polar bears
    The heathrow bears
    Guinness, even at the home of the black stuff they dream of a white one
    M&S Mrs Claus
    Sainsburys Mog's Christmas calamity (love Judith Kerr's books)
    Esb, going home, the nostalgia!

More John Lewis ads:
    Snowman heading to the shops
    The kid that can't wait to give his parents their present

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loving the flurry of new nominations!

I'm going to look back at some of the old 'new' adverts threads and see if I get any more inspiration. :)
    I'm probably forgetting some really obvious adverts!

Once we do a few head to heads, pitting advert against advert in a bitter fight to the death, the excitement will build. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »

Once we do a few head to heads, pitting advert against advert in a bitter fight to the death, the excitement will build. :pac:

Suspect you're spot on with that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Also throwing in a nomination for Sainsbury's 'The Big Night'

Two more I've just thought of :)

Spar- LOVE it! The song, the trees, everything!

The McDonalds advert where McDonalds is closed for Christmas. I think it's a beautiful little ad with a great message they were never brave enough to do again. And it has taken me the guts of a feckin' hour to find a link. :pac:

Have gone through those threads a good few times over the years, shame so many links are dead now though, still theres plenty to stir the memories in there to justify another browse soon!:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

=

The McDonalds advert where McDonalds is closed for Christmas. I think it's a beautiful little ad with a great message they were never brave enough to do again. And it has taken me the guts of a feckin' hour to find a link. :pac:

Fair play for finding that Posy, I'd heard of that advert a few times but don't ever remember seeing it, it was beginning to take on urban legend proportions. Good find!

My eyes were bleeding by the time I found the link! :D

Edit: Yeah, lots of dead links sadly, but it's nice looking back at the reactions to the new John Lewis ad etc. (Especially the diminishing enthusiasm every year as they fell from grace!)

I belatedly thought of the Spar one last night, the song was stuck in my head when I was drifting off to sleep :)

My last nomination (I think):

Spar and their Christmas trees in random places

More McDonalds ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I wonder if there's a way of setting up the seeding \ playing off the rounds to establish the favourite "Irish" christmas advert, it seems to be a small subset. Would be an interesting side bet...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It would be a Sophie's choice for me between ESB and Spar!

Not a Christmas ad, but I also love the 'Only You' ESB advert too. I'm clearly a sucker for electricity. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Two more I've just thought of :)

Spar- LOVE it! The song, the trees, everything!

Thank you for finding the McDonald’s ad. I always talk about it and no one remembers it. I love the sentiment behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

.... I'm clearly a sucker for electricity. :p...

I'm shocked :eek:

I'll get my own coat......

Loughc originally said the deadline was today, so have we any more entries?

Think Ill add a few more today to add some variety to it anyway or it could be a small tournament.

M&S 2016 - Mrs Claus

Asda 2012

Sainsbury 2015 - Mog the cat

Tesco 2014

Tesco 2019 - delivering Christmas

Boots 2017

Boots 2018

Teleocm Eireann

• Advertisement

Ok, need to get back to work here or i;ll be in trouble come c.o.b.

A couple more

M&S - Paddington bear

Sainsbury 2016

3 mobile - 2014

Vodafone Ireland 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes forgot about that 3 mobile 2014 ad. I love that one!

A couple of quality (street) ones...

One last tesco one...

Great selections there! :)

Great selections there! :)

Felt we needed a few more to make it last a bit longer and with bit less interest around this one thought I'd step up and throw a few more decent ones in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I am still accepting nominations. Due to work commitments the head to head knock out tournament won’t start until the 15th. Give us something to do for paddy’s day tho :)

• Advertisement

Not good enough, Loughc. I took a month's unpaid leave for this. :rolleyes: :pac:

Advertisement