Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Rugby Union pundit

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Andy Dunne is excellent on Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Emmet Byrne on Setanta was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Matt Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Kinda looks like this is similar to your views on munster and Leinster.

Munster pundit good, Leinster pundit bad and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Does Phillip Matthews commentate on radio or anywhere these days? I used to like him doing the Ireland games on BBC but not been on in a good few years now.

I cannot stand Heaslip commentating. In fact most co-commentators tend to make me want to mute the tv but I want to hear the ref so not really an option.
    ITV had Flatman and a woman (who I presume is an ex-player) for the Italy game and the amount of rubbish talked and awful jokes was unreal. There was barely a second of silence the whole game. I think the woman was the same one who was on channel 4 for Leinster Northampton recently and said "what's really interesting there is that that was a deliberate knock-on, but because it has gone backwards, it's ok!" (Henshaw had stuck out arm to intercept a pass after a Northampton break)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Murray Kinsella is the top of the pile for me but he's probably more of an analyst than a pundit.

Jackman is really good. Knowledgeable, able to use the analyst stuff to back up his points, still has the connections but isn't afraid to call things.

ROG is pure gold. Doesn't hold back and very insightful.

Don't think Stringer or D'Arcy are up to much on Eir to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Andy Dunne is excellent on Newstalk

+1 on Andy Dunne. Might not get his shot on TV as his playing career was under the radar but really interesting guy. Consistent in his critique of the Irish style of play even throughout 2018.

I also think Liam Toland is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Former Coach

You can not be serious (as John McEnroe might say!)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

Toland really is poor, abysmal I would go as far to say.

Daire O’Brien for worst host/presenter, makes me want to put my boot through the telly, can feel my blood pressure rise perceptibly at his “go easy” sign off.

Toland really is poor, abysmal I would go as far to say.

Daire O’Brien for worst host/presenter, makes me want to put my boot through the telly, can feel my blood pressure rise perceptibly at his “go easy” sign off.

Daire O’Brien is horrendous. And an aside, his brother is Breffni O’Brien (Google him).

But I’m struggling to understand the hatred towards Liam Toland. His Irish Time column is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

Alan Quinlan on Newstalk is good. Relatively recent player, comes across as someone you'd like to go for a pint with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'd forgotten about Stuart Barnes...always had great time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

hawley wrote: »
    Alan Quinlan on Newstalk is good. Relatively recent player, comes across as someone you'd like to go for a pint with.

He's been a slow burner with me but I like him now

I don’t think he’s very good tbh - still can not pronounce Vunipola despite them being around for years, calls them “Vunipolo”...it’s not even a difficult name.
    He also doesn’t do his research, referred to Gary Graham as “Scotland number 20” during Saturday’s game, that’s a big no no not even a schoolboy commentator should be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There's an incredible lack of basic knowledge from most pundits. They move within the game, know people and have something of an inside track which affords them their jobs. They have knowledge of systems and the intensity levels required to play the game at that level which is beneficial. But their basic knowledge of players, teams, line ups etc. is embarrassing.

Three recent examples spring to mind from Newstalk (which I listen to most frequently):

Liam Toland spoke about how Larmour can't start against England in the second game of the 6N because he won't be battle hardened enough to stand up to such a physical onslaught. After a few minutes the presenter had to tell him that we weren't playing England until the final day. "Well....the point still stands" said Toland.

Keith Wood was asked about the Connacht back line and how they weren't able to click against Munster after being so dangerous against Leinster. His explanation was that the Leinster back line of Sexton, Henshaw and Ross Byrne at 13 isn't a trio that are known for quick linespeed and pressuring attacks. Of course the minor issue with this is that those guys started against Ulster, not Connacht. He had the games completely backwards and didn't have a clue who played against Connacht. But that didn't stop him claiming he did.

And lastly, Quinlan. He was speaking about the pecking order of the back row players for the 6N a fortnight ago and said he'd have Max Deegan after Ruddock as his next option at blindside. "Although he seems to have fallen off the radar somewhat". The presenter had to explain to him that Deegan has a knee injury (without completely embarrassing Quinlan by explaining the extent of the injury).

In summation, most pundits are crap. They do it as a side gig and don't actually put much preparation or effort into their roles outside of what they already know about the game. The longer they're out of the game, the more redundant they are. Matt Williams used be one of the most insightful and interesting pundits around. Now he's completely out of date given he hasn't coached in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jackman is really good. Knowledgeable, able to use the analyst stuff to back up his points, still has the connections but isn't afraid to call things.

Utter bluffer. Every week he speaks about his "connections". Claimed the rumours from the camp were that Will Connors was starting last week. It's genuinely a good indication that the opposite will happen.

He tried to claim a few weeks ago that Bordeaux are signing Stander....before back tracking almost instantly and saying that they're making a big offer. Bordeaux announced the signing of Picamoles the next week.

Nobody in the game is going to give Jackman a whiff of a true story because they know he's going to shout if from the rooftops immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

ROG at times can take a lot of concentration to listen to. He's low on entertainment, but he's absolutely brilliant on the technical stuff. Murray Kinsella and Eoin Toolan on the subscriber podcast for The42 are really good too. Andy Dunne is good as he doesn't pull punches. And Liam Toland. Okay, just kidding about that last one. He's interminable to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Every time. I know it's coming. I can turn the bloody TV off before he says it. But then he says it. And I want to put my foot through the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Will Greenwood shades it over Brian O’Driscoll.
    Brian O'Driscoll is really drab and predictable. His biography was woeful. Great player but dull as dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Sorry, but I can’t agree.

Big sighs, pauses, states the totally obvious at a snails pace, sighs again, pauses again, repeats himself....says absolutely nothing insightful...but manages to prevent anyone else getting a word in. Contradicts himself constantly. Never really offers a forthright opinion, sits on the fence.

An example this week when asked to comment on Billy Burns poor kick towards the end of the Wales game ‘you have to take chances’ ‘to get every last 2 inches out of the kick’ but ‘you have to make sure it finds touch’ ..’no room for error at this level’....

Drives me insane with his waffle. The worst pundit.

Quinlan is very lucky to be in that role. He did a lot of freebies for O’Brien and Buckley, plus he did the whole ‘Haven’ thing in Haiti that they’re closely associated with. So they gave him the Newstalk gig which he’s clearly underqualified for. But he’s cheap and plays the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I would say Austin Healey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

brian moore when is commenting on England, he loses his **** but I think he is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

I like Matt Williams. Great enthusiasm for the game.

Mick Doyle on Rugby after Dark in the early 1990s.

On Ireland beating England in Landsdowne in 1993 'Jesus that was like an 80 minute orgasm'!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Arduach wrote: »
    I like Matt Williams. Great enthusiasm for the game.

Mick Doyle on Rugby after Dark in the early 1990s.

On Ireland beating England in Landsdowne in 1993 'Jesus that was like an 80 minute orgasm'!

Here some good early 90s punditry

https://youtu.be/qSnSBnk6LlM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Piehead wrote: »
    Here some good early 90s punditry

https://youtu.be/qSnSBnk6LlM

Yes I saw that a few weeks ago, follow I Killianm2.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I really miss Flannery on podcasts. ****ing Harlequins stealing one of our best pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

I really miss Flannery on podcasts. ****ing Harlequins stealing one of our best pundits.
    Speaking of podcasts, i discovered one called "Maulover".Very focused on England.They really went to town on Eddie Jones. Said he was a disaster for English rugby.Worth a listen.

Advertisement