Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Sports Podcasts golf or otherwise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

todays podcast my god. fionn needs to be reeled in he is steamrolling the chats. and his self serving bull**** at the end my god he is become insufferable. he alone is putting me off the pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

unplayable wrote: »
    todays podcast my god. fionn needs to be reeled in he is steamrolling the chats. and his self serving bull**** at the end my god he is become insufferable. he alone is putting me off the pod.

He's insufferable, every time he chimes in I want to switch off. It'd be a great podcast without him

I see Troy Merritt is their PGA tour insider, wonder how that came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

He's insufferable, every time he chimes in I want to switch off. It'd be a great podcast without him

I see Troy Merritt is their PGA tour insider, wonder how that came about.

they said a sponsor contacted them is how it came about

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

I said it before a few pages back but I can’t believe they persist with Fionn. I know I don’t anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Audio quality was brutal this week too

Reminded 30 seconds about 6-7 times in second half then finished mid sentence when considering Shane’s chances this week

Fionns anti Trump jabbering is right up newstalks alley. Her Gilroy is senior in there for ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 CackHand

I agree on Fionn. Again I'm sure he is a lovely man but every episode he clearly researches a couple of stats and squeezes them into the show no matter how obtrusive to the flow of the show the point is, often applying a dramatic pause. It comes across very 'look at me, i'm smart'.

This week he pulled Lawrie up on the reduced participation in golf over the Tiger era, it came across so smug.

I like the balance of the other lads. OK they are just like us and don't really know that much about golf, but I like that in a podcast. Just normal guys talking about stuff that ultimately isn't very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

I think I've listened to nearly every Golf Weekly podcast they've done and enjoyed them, particularly when Conor Deegan was on, a top amateur and a nice chap. I doubt I'll sign up, partly because money is tight, partly because there's so much decent free content out there. But I'll miss it each week.

On the Fionn point, I give him credit for always coming to the show well prepared with his research done. He's an excellent communicator and did a good job of making sense of the new handicap situation for instance a few months ago. However, and I don't know if it was just me, but I found that almost every time he interacted with Peter Lawrie it was in a negative way or in a way that seemed to argue the toss of what Lawrie had just said. Found that strange as Peter Lawrie is the man with the stripes on his arm in that room in terms of golf experience and knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I like Fionn
    Just saying!

Haven't listened in a while. Has it gone to subscription or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭willabur

i like fionn also...

gees, feels good to get that off my chest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Fionn is very self righteous, unbearable at times, especially when he's goes off on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Audio quality was brutal this week too

Reminded 30 seconds about 6-7 times in second half then finished mid sentence when considering Shane’s chances this week

Fionns anti Trump jabbering is right up newstalks alley. Her Gilroy is senior in there for ffs

Audio quality is awful every week. Joe in particular seems to muse almost to himself at times at about half the volume the rest of them are chatting at.

Thought the NLU interview with Chip Beck this week was good. If anyone hasn’t heard the Jason Bohn one it’s well worth looking for, it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I really enjoy the Chasing Scratch podcast.

https://www.chasingscratchgolf.com/about

Very lighthearted and enjoyable.

I checked this out a few weeks ago based on your recommendation. I'm totally hooked on the show now. They are idiots but I love them!

They are obviously loaded though, several golf trips a year all over the country. I don't know how they get away with it with their wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

How many patreons did golf weekly get?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

etxp wrote: »
    Been listening to Paddy Talk Golf a bit recently, find him good. He has some interesting people interviewed over the years. Conor O Rourke was his last guest, young Irish golfer.

I’ve only listened to a couple of episodes and the audio quality was absolutely terrible. The one with Eoin Gibbons in particular, had to turn it off after a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

I’ve recently been enjoying The Sweet Spot by Adam Young and Jon Sherman. Some good practice ideas and some myths busted.

Hack It Out with Mark Crossfield, Scott Fawcett and Lou Stagner is worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

fullstop wrote: »

Thought the NLU interview with Chip Beck this week was good. If anyone hasn’t heard the Jason Bohn one it’s well worth looking for, it was brilliant.

had not listened to NLU in a while, checked out John Wood and it was great.
    I'll look out for chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Bit the bullet and signed up to Golf Weekly! Will give it a month or so but expecting more interviews with the likes of Harrington ect and even troy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and signed up to Golf Weekly! Will give it a month or so but expecting more interviews with the likes of Harrington ect and even troy

Its reasonably ok to listen to but don’t think I could justify paying for fionn davenport (might be the other guy Nathan Murphy). He just shouts over the top of people with pre-prepared nonsense that may or may not be relevant.

It’s all a bit amateur to be honest, especially from people who work in the media, to be paying for. Plenty of better free content.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

tropics001 wrote: »
    had not listened to NLU in a while, checked out John Wood and it was great.
    I'll look out for chip.

The John Wood interview is highly recommended -he doesnt hold back or dodge a question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Listened to the Rick Shields podcast with James Robinson this week, very good. Really opens up your eyes to how expensive it is to play in all these tournaments if you aren't winning. A caddy can be around 1k per tournament, hefty lump if you aren't in the prize money.

There is a 2nd part on when he played the open too so hoping that will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

etxp wrote: »
    Listened to the Rick Shields podcast with James Robinson this week, very good. Really opens up your eyes to how expensive it is to play in all these tournaments if you aren't winning. A caddy can be around 1k per tournament, hefty lump if you aren't in the prize money.

There is a 2nd part on when he played the open too so hoping that will be good.

Heard the 2nd - good interview. I'm not 100% sold on Rick's total podcast has high points but some low points, but have to admit James Robinson came across really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Heard the 2nd - good interview. I'm not 100% sold on Rick's total podcast has high points but some low points, but have to admit James Robinson came across really well.

I cant speak to all the episode as just is the only one i have listened to, watched a clip on youtube and that sparked my interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

They are alright, very little about PGA pro golf and more about different clubs/balls. Nightmare shots, guy hitting it 12 yards further than Rick etc.
    Some good interviews like the one with the 7ft 5 golfer, Tubes not just Pro's like most other podcasts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Luckycharm wrote: »
    They are alright, very little about PGA pro golf and more about different clubs/balls. Nightmare shots, guy hitting it 12 yards further than Rick etc.
    Some good interviews like the one with the 7ft 5 golfer, Tubes not just Pro's like most other podcasts.

That's what I like about the Rick shiels podcast, there's enough podcasts about the pro game on TV, they just generally talk about golf and equipment, it's fairy light hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

About half a dozen episodes into the Chasing Scratch podcast. I would class it as a good 'painting the fence' podcast! Wouldn't recommend it much beyond that. Light enough nonsense stuff to pass a few hours really.

One of the guys on it, with an air of breathlessness talked about shooting 73 (+1) in one of the episodes and being cut to 7.7 or something along those lines. He was originally an 11 or 12. He was talking about the fist pumping and the nerves etc. Oh, and he was playing on his own! Lord save us all if this is what the WHS brings us. Though as far as I know you can't have a handicap counting round if you're playing on your own here, right? Sure we'd all be chasing scratch if rounds on your own counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

That's what I like about the Rick shiels podcast, there's enough podcasts about the pro game on TV, they just generally talk about golf and equipment, it's fairy light hearted.

They are very open about the fact they don't really watch golf outside of the majors too.

I'm new enough to golf, started playing properly in 2019 and really, really enjoy the Rick Shiels pod. It's a very enjoyable hour of easy listening and genuine fun. There's some technical stuff around kit and gear which can go over my head at times but the two of them are very into it and you can hear that when they talk about it. For example, Bryson using a four year old Cobra driver this past weekend instead of the latest one. I would never have noticed or cared about it but they made it seem interesting.

I'll give Chasing Scratch a go after seeing a few recommendations here. I will be avoiding the OTB golf show as I already don't like Joe Molloy.

There is a podcast by two Irish lads called Bogey Men I listen to every now and again if there has been a particularly good event at the weekend. It's nothing special but they can have some decent discussions at times.

Jon Sherman from practical Golf and Adam Young have joined up to make a podcast called The Sweet Spot

Very informative and more about improving at golf rather than general golf chat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Bgiraffe wrote: »
    About half a dozen episodes into the Chasing Scratch podcast. I would class it as a good 'painting the fence' podcast! Wouldn't recommend it much beyond that. Light enough nonsense stuff to pass a few hours really.

One of the guys on it, with an air of breathlessness talked about shooting 73 (+1) in one of the episodes and being cut to 7.7 or something along those lines. He was originally an 11 or 12. He was talking about the fist pumping and the nerves etc. Oh, and he was playing on his own! Lord save us all if this is what the WHS brings us. Though as far as I know you can't have a handicap counting round if you're playing on your own here, right? Sure we'd all be chasing scratch if rounds on your own counted.

Gave up after 2 episodes, one whole episode about going to do Yoga and zero golf played!!
    We could all shoot +1 on our own, surely that doesn't count towards WHS. Also in the states until WHS gimmes could be included in handicap counting rounds. There didn't seem to be any rule with regard what distance you could give a Gimme!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 super saints

Like most that have spoke on this thread, I won’t be subscribing to OTB golf weekly, I really like Peter, Joe I think does a good job, small doses of Fionn is ok, but certainly even smaller doses of Nathan suit me fine, I find him very hard to listen to some of the crap he comes out with.

Judging by the first interview last week with Troy Merritt, he will be an excellent go-to guy on the PGA tour inner-circle, very down to earth comes across as a really sound guy.

Was the first Patreon episode aired yesterday? Was there much improvement of the audio sound and was the show itself any good?

• Advertisement

No marked difference in quality of sound or content

Advertisement