Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

appledrop wrote: »
    It's one of those days that's warmer then it looks, dull for most of day here but mild.

Great that St. Patrick's Day is looking nice so we can all at least enjoy our local parks.

The next week to 10 days are looking very similar to last Spring. I just hope we don’t pay for it in the summer.

Is there an example of a great Spring followed by a great Summer? I can’t think of any in the last 10 to 15 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Been watching Gavweathervids summer updates, it's early days yet but right now his analogues are not looking promising for a good summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

esposito wrote: »
    The next week to 10 days are looking very similar to last Spring. I just hope we don’t pay for it in the summer.

Is there an example of a great Spring followed by a great Summer? I can’t think of any in the last 10 to 15 years.

2017? Not a great summer but not a particularly bad one either if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

esposito wrote: »

Nothing of recent but 2003 closest since the start of the century with a warm, dry March and April though a mixed May with a summer that was often changeable but very warm and an August heatwave.

Personally speaking 2010 fits that ball park for me with a really nice spring having lots of sunny days (a sunnier spring in the west than 2020) whilst the summer was generally good - June and August pleasant whilst July was unsettled.

If I were to go back in history - 1990, 1984 and 1975 all provided early summer conditions at some point. 1990 had a warm March and May with a showery April whilst the summer started off poor but got very sunny in July whilst August started hot and continued dry after in the east but dull and changeable for most. 1984 had a poor March but April had record breaking high temperatures near the end with plenty of dry/sunny conditions and May was cool but sunny too whilst the summer was exceptionally dry with drought and often warm but rarely hot. 1975 had a white Easter at first in late March but April had a warm spell and May was one of the sunniest on record with June snow following but quickly became warm, sunny and dry which developed into a heatwave at beginning of August whilst July had some notable thunderstorms.

Recently, there has been a tendency for very good conditions in the spring to be followed by a poor summer alright. 2007, 2011, 2012 and 2020 all did it.

EDIT: I guess 1995 would fit here too as whilst March was often wintry, April was very dry and May started on the really warm side before becoming mixed and no words need to be said about the summer as everybody knows about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Spring 2020 from Met.ie Temperature

Highest mean seasonal temperature: 10.2°C at Newport, Co Mayo (0.9°C above its LTA)
    Lowest mean seasonal temperature: 8.4°C at Dublin Airport, Co Dublin (0.1 below its LTA)
    Highest air temperature for the season: 26.8°C at Mount Dillon, Co Roscommon on Sat 30th May
    Lowest air temperature for the season: -4.2°C at Dunsany, Co Meath on Thu 5th Mar
    Lowest grass minimum for the season: -10.1°C at Mount Dillon, Co Roscommon on Fri 20th Mar

was'nt particularily mild overall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovely day in Waterford for the most part, brighter than expected.

Set fair bar a possible chilly day or two Fri/Sat but dry is my main concern at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A lovely and bright spring morning near Castlebar. Happy to see that ceiling of grey gone. A really nice crisp freshness out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Dull and drizzly here in NCD.

Forecast is for mild, sunny day so hopefully it brightens up here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its brighter now in Dublin by satellite. Also by satellite tomorrows cloud will reach North and West early in the day so we wont have the sun they promise in forecast just cloud. so 11 or 12c here but at least not 15mm of rain like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Clear sky and sunshiiiine in meath now, great day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

yep, lovely day here in Meath, great to see the sun!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

What a change from earlier. 14°

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Remaining cloud continuing to dissolve away across the country. First time I've seen the sun here in what seems like weeks.

MXctB3i.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Can't really see it on satellite but mostly cloudy again in Donegal now after a sunny morning, hopefully just a temporary blip :rolleyes:

16.1c in Arklow
    Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - fog warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Connacht

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Foggy conditions will lead to reduced visibility

Valid: 03:00 Wednesday 17/03/2021 to 09:00 Wednesday 17/03/2021

Issued: 13:05 Tuesday 16/03/2021

We now have our first sea breezevof the Summer (:D) in Arklow
    18kmh East
    Currently 16.3c

Just back from lunchtime walk, absolutely stunning now in Dublin.

Back to work for me, but if you can get out and enjoy it.

2c drop here in the last 10 mins from the sea breeze
    Showing how sensitive and accurate the Davis is
    Now 14.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Beautiful day in cork city! When the sun shines you can really feel it, first time feeling proper warmth in a while. Love it!

• Advertisement

Today is tomorrows weather. Damn.

Major downgrade in tomorrows weather now. Temperatures still similar but drizzle and cloud more prominant in the forecast now. High prob 15 or 16c in the South

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Beautiful in Dublin, feels like summer when you're moving around outside. Tomorrow doesn't look too bad in Dublin anyway. And tomorrow off work, can't complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

Lovely day but as is par for the course in Ireland, despite high pressure being right over the country we'll magically be stuck from tomorrow under cloudy conditions with drizzle at times. For the next week it seems.

It'll be similar to earlier on in the month when we'd dry weather but barely saw the sun for days on end

I always say you're more likely to get sunny weather, particularly in the East, under low pressure conditions in Ireland. It's so frustrating.

These days when I see high pressure being forecast for Ireland I actually think 'oh crap'. It often doesn't actually equate to nice conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Can't really see it on satellite but mostly cloudy again in Donegal now after a sunny morning, hopefully just a temporary blip :rolleyes:

Looking at the sat, it looks as if an area of what looks like sea fog developed off the west coast of Donegal, which is probably causing that cloud over you as it moves inland and lifts. That bank looks to be dissolving again though however so maybe some late afternoon sunshine for you later.

Either way, looks as if this high will become increasingly 'dirty', as others have noted, over the next few days. So more cloud than sun for the rest of its duration, which is no surprise really, as high pressures have been cloud filled all throughout last winter as well, even when they have been in typically6 'sunny' positions.

New Moon

yup more anticyclonic gloom like the last one. and prob mist/drizzle too to go with it if you live in West and Northwest.

The best we can hope for paddys day in the west is that its a dry day (climatically speaking anyways)

Todays a beautiful day though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely afternoon on Dublin 16. Clear and sunny. 14.4c atm. A lot of lawnmowers on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't get how people can live in the West of Ireland and not expect it to be cloudy and rainy pretty much all of the time, I thought that was just the deal over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Cracking day out there today, 14c and lots of bumblebees flying about and the hedges alive with birdsong.

lolie wrote: »
    Cracking day out there today, 14c and lots of bumblebees flying about and the hedges alive with birdsong.

Yea I actually saw a tortoiseshell butterfly. It must have come out of hibernation with the nice weather.

Just back from my second walk today and tomorrow to look forward to as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two butterflies seen in recent days, a lady bird a couple of weeks ago and a couple of house spiders looking for the door!

Tomorrow looks like the best day of the week, maybe a bee or two will appear.

Advertisement