Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

mumo3 wrote: »
    For anyone who finds themselves having to cook Christmas dinner for themselves this year here's my cheat.. for the last number of years I have bought the prepacked carvery sliced Turkey and Ham pieces with the stuffing in the middle, exactly like you get if you order the turkey and ham in a restaurant, and they taste delicious about 30 minutes in the oven and your done, I get them from my local meat wholesaler at €17 for 5 portions I think, but I have seen them in some butchers!! My kids aren't big fans of Turkey so no point in buying a big one as it will go to waste and given that they spend Stephen's day with their grandparents definitely no point!!

I cannot even imagine the devastation if I announced there was only one portion of turkey and ham each 😱 No Turkey and ham stephen's day pizza, no Christmas leftover sambos.....nooooooo

Myself and himself have a tradition of going for lunch on Xmas Eve. We both have busy Xmas/Stephens' Day with families, so it started as our moment of peace to enjoy each other's company before it all kicked off! This will also be the last year we do our traditional fam one too as we're getting married next April!

I booked us into our favourite place today for this Xmas Eve(you have to book it months in advance), hoping they're still in a position to have us!

2021 wedding here too :)
    Previous years we spent Christmas day apart, but we started spending Christmas together 2 years ago after we got engaged, and last year we moved into our house. We're trying to make our own traditions, my OH comes from a family that wouldn't make a big deal of Christmas, whereas my family are stone mad, so it took a while for us to settle our festive differences :) ...I won :pac:
    Question for those of you with older kids- do you still do Santy?
    We still wrap the presents and leave them in the sitting room with their names on them and we wouldn't have it any other way, still gives us a bit of cheer to see them getting a surprise on Christmas morning.
    BY the way, the kids are aged 18 and 26 :)

During the last recession, my younger siblings were in their teens so Santa only brought them surprise gifts, while the older siblings started doing Secret Santa with the parents. The magic was still there, just different :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Bought me some Christmas masks for school in December. And subscribed to a few Christmas podcasts. Starting To get in the mood again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

TRS30 wrote: »
    I'm in my 40's and still get presents from Santa (wrapped and under the tree) :)

There is two sisters in work who still live with the parents and they still get presents from Santy.
    They are 32 and 34 and I thought they were the oldest I ever heard of but it seems we have a new record holder! :D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

3 months to Christmas Eve.... 3!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

There is two sisters in work who still live with the parents and they still get presents from Santy.
    They are 32 and 34 and I thought they were the oldest I ever heard of but it seems we have a new record holder! :D:D

My Dad is 74 and still gives himself expensive Lego from Santa. So I still have a way to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I absolutely get something for myself and refer to it as my santa present... wheres the harm in that?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Sony Christmas Movie Channel is back!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I still get presents from Santa and I’m in my 30’s :D. I may give big hints and sometimes actually say what I want but it’s still wrapped and under the tree :)

Heating as been on here for the last few nights as it’s getting rather chilly in the evenings :)

Love the new name also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was in Aldi this evening they had frozen desserts that would be more Wintery in, they also had Turkeys and Turkey Crown. We got a crown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Oh forgot to mention Eurospar have there Christmas selection of sweets and biscuits out on display, may have purchased Terrys chocolate orange in white chocolate :)

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Hi all, just wondering what's the situation with Christmas markets this year.....is there any going ahead here or around Europe?

Loughc wrote: »
    3 months to Christmas Eve.... 3!!

I was grumpy earlier. I was in the car with himself and having a proper sulk. So he looks over at me and says "Only 3 months to Christmas Eve!" And sure I couldn't stop smiling then. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Grid. wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering what's the situation with Christmas markets this year.....is there any going ahead here or around Europe?

As it stands I think Galway, Cork and Dublin are still planning outdoor markets.

I’m not too sure about Europe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Boots.ie Christmas seems to have launched this evening, I had a browse online, some items still not in stock, I did come across some Christmas memo pads, Christmas scented sanitiser and some Christmas quiz games, a good few quiz games I presume because we will be probably in doors a lot

I said the same this evening 3 months to Christmas Eve :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

SarahLil wrote: »
    Boots.ie Christmas seems to have launched this evening, I had a browse online, some items still not in stock, I did come across some Christmas memo pads, Christmas scented sanitiser and some Christmas quiz games, a good few quiz games I presume because we will be probably in doors a lot

I said the same this evening 3 months to Christmas Eve :)

https://www.boots.ie/christmas/all-christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Winterval Christmas Festival in Waterford is going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Every City is doing their own thing.
    For example, about a month ago Cologne announced they cancelled theirs.
    Other Cities are still holding off their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Such a pity. I've never been to a Christmas Market and we had planned to bring our little boy to one this year. Just another thing we're missing out on...having a few tough days here with everything. Popping in here helps hugely...aswell as planning and buying presents :)

Only 3 months to go till the big day :D

Proper wintery out there this morning, beanie made it's first appearance when dropping the kids off earlier. Lovely and bright though, real winters morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Trying to hold off on nighttime heating until October but it's getting difficult. Weather forecast today said highs of 13 degrees brrrrrr.

Bought books for the niblings the other day. Still waiting for family "not so secret Santa" to find out who else I have to buy for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Jellybear this place certainly does help I am loving being back, I hope you have a good Friday and an even better weekend

Working from home today it certainly is chilly this morning, I am nice and toasty now though with the heating on and heating myself up with coffee, toast with jam

Anyone planning on doing a Christmas market in Ireland this year obviously subject to restrictions? I see Belfast is doing one obviously permitting

This time 3 months my turkey will be in the oven :)

SarahLil wrote: »
    This time 3 months my turkey will be in the oven :)

Doesn't seem long at all when you put it like that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I'm so frickin excited!!!!! Just saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Booked my dog into the groomers for his Christmas spruce up in December. He was dropped in this morning so thought
    I’d get him booked in while I was there. Book him in before the appointments heat up anyway.

I was looking at the latest Lidl book. They Halloween stuff in.
    And more importantly they are gearing up for baking stuff have Christmas storage tins and a recipe for Stollen.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I made my Christmas cakes last night, the smell in the house last night and this morning was really Christmassy. So I've been in great form all day.:)

I woke up there and it feels so cold!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I woke up there and it feels so cold!

Same, it's winter already!

Advertisement