Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas upgrade to 55m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

How many are left of to extent?

And when are the 8 new 55m trams due to be delivered/enter service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

How many are left of to extend?

14 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Saw a post on a Facebook group of 5034 having just arrived into Rosslare Europort this evening (not my photo)

p_haugh wrote: »
    Saw a post on a Facebook group of 5034 having just arrived into Rosslare Europort this evening (not my photo)

5034 has been undergoing tests this week.
    The gate from the road into the depot had to be removed to allow 5034 enter. It was reinstated but today it has been moved a little to ease delivery of the next new tram.

5005 was extended this week.

I neglected to mention earlier that 5016 was extended early this month.

Meanwhile 5035 was sitting in sandyford depot yard this evening.
    5034 was reported to have been in service today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

tabbey wrote: »
    I neglected to mention earlier that 5016 was extended early this month.

Meanwhile 5035 was sitting in sandyford depot yard this evening.
    5034 was reported to have been in service today.

Was in the media everywhere ;)
    luas-facemask-1024x576.jpg

5004 was extended this week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

5034/5035 were the only two due for delivery in this batch.

The other 6 are due by early 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/1288084619183755265

If I'm correct, this is the summary of what the fleet will look like.

Luas Reference Manufacturer's Model Qty Year Related Construction Used On Comment
    3000 Citadis 301 26 2004 Luas A + C + C(S) Red Extended 30 to 40 metres
    4000 Citadis 401 14 2004 Luas B Green, now Red.
    5000 Citadis 402 26 2009 Luas A1, B1, C1 Green Extended 44 to 55 metres
    5000 Citadis 402 7 2018 Luas BXD Green BXD new trams
    5000 Citadis 402 8 2020 Luas BXD Green Post-BXD new trams
    Total 81

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Will there be any new/additional trams on the red line anytime soon to cope with some of the capacity issues. Some have suggested have some extra Hueston-Point only runs. Also are 4000 series trams on the green line due to go back to the red line now?

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    Will there be any new/additional trams on the red line anytime soon to cope with some of the capacity issues. Some have suggested have some extra Hueston-Point only runs. Also are 4000 series trams on the green line due to go back to the red line now?

Yes, the four trams borrowed by the green line should return to red line. I saw 3020 on green recently but the three members of 4000 class may have already gone home. If not, they need to go soon as sandyford was crowded the weekend just passed.

Following August holidays, delivery of extension modules resumed this week.
    5007 is now 55 metre.

The second half of 5036 arrived last week and was attached to the first. It is still sitting in a siding waiting for its "chin" fairing below the windscreen.

5011 was extended this week.

5011 re-entered revenue service on Monday morning.

5013 was extended this week.

5037 has been delivered. The second half arrived at midday and was shunted to join up with the first half.

tabbey wrote: »
    The second half of 5036 arrived last week and was attached to the first. It is still sitting in a siding waiting for its "chin" fairing below the windscreen.

I've seen 5036 test running one night this week. No interior lights and quiet humming noise from all wheels.

zom wrote: »
    I've seen 5036 test running one night this week. No interior lights and quiet humming noise from all wheels.

5036 appears to be in revenue service today. It headed south over the Leopardstown Road viaduct at 1030. At first I assumed it was on test but there were a few apparent passengers on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Can someone advise what Luas uses as acceptance criteria for new trams? X km trouble free test running, and until then they remain Alstom’s ownership?

dowlingm wrote: »
    Can someone advise what Luas uses as acceptance criteria for new trams? X km trouble free test running, and until then they remain Alstom’s ownership?
    I don't know, but it would be something like that - a certain amount of km and/or hours. The first day of running is likely to be relatively defect free, the next few days / weeks of running will likely throw up at lot more issues as things that weren't tightened properly work themselves loose. I imagine Luas takes ownership on delivery, but the warrantee / maintenance costs stay with the manufacturer until accepted. To not take ownership may have legal issues, e.g. I doubt the manufacturer has an operators licence.

If I'm correct, with Irish Rail it is something like the first in type has to be able to do 10,000 km / miles defect free to be accepted and subsequent deliveries have to be able to do 1,000 km / miles defect free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Victor wrote: »
    I don't know, but it would be something like that - a certain amount of km and/or hours. The first day of running is likely to be relatively defect free, the next few days / weeks of running will likely throw up at lot more issues as things that weren't tightened properly work themselves loose. I imagine Luas takes ownership on delivery, but the warrantee / maintenance costs stay with the manufacturer until accepted. To not take ownership may have legal issues, e.g. I doubt the manufacturer has an operators licence.
    In Toronto each tram has to do 600km before it is accepted, and if it throws a fault the 600km starts over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was on one of the new trams this morning. They have new anti slip floors which must be a recent decision as the first order came in old style.

5015 was extended this week.

5038 was delivered this morning.

5017 was extended this week.

No home office for luas depot crew I see. Hope they got their work sorted safely in this disturbing Civid times..

5019 was extended this week.

All trams 5001 - 5021 are now 9 modules (55m);
    Only 5022 - 5026 remain to be done.

5039 was delivered today.

5022 was extended nearly three weeks ago.

(Thought I had mentioned it earlier, but evidently not.)

After five weeks for Christmas and New year, 5023 is being extended this week.

• Advertisement

Tram 5040 was delivered on Friday.

Advertisement