Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI Leap Card Guide & FAQ (Updated Jan 2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

Gael23 wrote: »
    wench wrote: »
    No, that's all one journey.

Would it be the same if I was to take the LUAS to Connolly?

Nope, if you change transport operator, you have to tag on again (and tag off too if needed).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's the key question for me. Is it a 'bug' that I wasn't allowed to tag on, and would I be liable for a fine?

It's not a bug. This is how it's meant to work. If you don't have credit, it won't do anything that needs credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,277 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not a bug. This is how it's meant to work. If you don't have credit, it won't do anything that needs credit.

Traveling after reaching the cap doesn't (or shouldn't) need credit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Traveling after reaching the cap doesn't (or shouldn't) need credit.

That's just a bonus feature of usage. If you add more logic conditions, transactions take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Qrt

I tagged on the luas no problem last week after a DART journey left me in a negative balance. I feel like I should say that.

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »
    I tagged on the luas no problem last week after a DART journey left me in a negative balance. I feel like I should say that.

I doubt it. You might want to read through your history on the website.

That's just a bonus feature of usage. If you add more logic conditions, transactions take longer.

It's more than a 'bonus'. It is a key part of the current fare structure that customers must be able to rely on.

Adding the logic would only apply to those customers who try to tax with a negative balance, which must be a fairly small percentage. And the time taken to look at the transaction history for the day would be fairly instantaneous.

It's more than a 'bonus'. It is a key part of the current fare structure that customers must be able to rely on.

Adding the logic would only apply to those customers who try to tax with a negative balance, which must be a fairly small percentage. And the time taken to look at the transaction history for the day would be fairly instantaneous.

It isn't. Capping came in years after leap.

It isn't. Capping came in years after leap.

It is now. The history does not really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Qrt

I doubt it. You might want to read through your history on the website.

I have. I had the max fare taken by the DART and it ****ed up my balance, I even asked one of the station staff to explain it to me because I thought I didn’t have enough to get home.

Tagged on the luas and it was fine (may be something to do with Leap 90?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is the Do Dublin bus tour covered by annual ticket?

Luas Customer Care responded:

You were unable to tag on as there was no credit available. When a leapcard is tagged on regardless of the Leapcard reaching its capacity for the day/week, the fair is deducted, once travel is completed, the full fair (SIC) is then refunded back onto the card.

It looks like a bit of a bug in the billing system. Why should I have to buy credit, when the journey is free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Why is capping not available on Cork BE Services?

Luas Customer Care responded:

It looks like a bit of a bug in the billing system. Why should I have to buy credit, when the journey is free?

It's not a bug. You're just being contentious.

Why is capping not available on Cork BE Services?

None of the bus eireann services have capping.

It certainly doesn't work the way most regular users would expect it to! Free trip? Sorry, you'll need money for that.

So you reckon it was intentionally designed to require people to pay for a free service?

How is it contentious to question a requirement to pay for a free service? If the Council had staff at the gates of your local park requiring people to have a tenner in their wallet before they could enter the park, would you question it?

So you reckon it was intentionally designed to require people to pay for a free service?

How is it contentious to question a requirement to pay for a free service? If the Council had staff at the gates of your local park requiring people to have a tenner in their wallet before they could enter the park, would you question it?

Using a credit function requires credit. Adding in complexity so that it checks how additional features are set, before thinking whether or not credit is needed means the transaction will take longer which goes against a primary use case for the leap card.

Not you're just adding in more crap because it doesn't suit you.

Using a credit function requires credit.
    Why is further travel AFTER reaching the cap considered to be 'a credit function'?

Adding in complexity so that it checks how additional features are set, before thinking whether or not credit is needed means the transaction will take longer which goes against a primary use case for the leap card.

No, I've already explained the false 'take longer' claim above. For the vast majority of users, this check would only take place AFTER checking available credit. So for the vast majority of users, the check would take the same amount of time.

For the small amount of users who have no credit, this check could be applied, and they are the ones who would benefit, so a small delay would be acceptable for them.

Not you're just adding in more crap because it doesn't suit you.

It's not about suiting me or not. It is about them applying the actual fare rules that they publish.

If it is not possible to carry out this check for any reason (perhaps because the validator can only see the current balance and not the transaction history), then they need to come out and address this with an appropriate policy - perhaps something like 'you're OK to travel without tagging on if you have already reached the cap'.

But it is completely unacceptable for them to require passengers to put money on the card when no money is actually required to travel.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anybody know what's happening with the leap card app? Can't read my card anymore (apparently it's a common app issue) so not sure how I can top my card up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

antodeco wrote: »
    Anybody know what's happening with the leap card app? Can't read my card anymore (apparently it's a common app issue) so not sure how I can top my card up!

Weird, it's working fine for me. Try force closing it in settings/reinstall the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Hey guys have my commute in the morning. Have a few quid on the leap card that won't be used can I buy a 7 day BE pass using travel credit already on the card ? It won't let me buy it using the credit via the app or the website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

piplip87 wrote: »
    Hey guys have my commute in the morning. Have a few quid on the leap card that won't be used can I buy a 7 day BE pass using travel credit already on the card ? It won't let me buy it using the credit via the app or the website ?
    I don't think so.

How do you normally load the ticket onto your card?

Victor wrote: »
    I don't think so.

How do you normally load the ticket onto your card?

I usually buy the 10 journey paper ticket via the Bus Eireann website. I use the leap for Luas .

I use the App to top up. It's strange that you cannot purchase tickets VIA the App or website with money already on the card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Found out that if you have a Taxsaver Leap card and change employers, they are unable to put a ticket under a different employers ID on the same card. Requiring a new personalised card to be issued. Its the same ticket type and all.

That's a striking level of incompetence there.

I think you can do this at a Payzone agent.

markpb wrote: »
    I think you can do this at a Payzone agent.

Thank you I will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I usually buy the 10 journey paper ticket via the Bus Eireann website. I use the leap for Luas .

I use the App to top up. It's strange that you cannot purchase tickets VIA the App or website with money already on the card.

You can buy BE tickets on the Leap card app and load them directly to the card, on the website and pick-up at payzone outlets.

Or you can buy the full range of zone tickets from the driver on the bus.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You can buy BE tickets on the Leap card app and load them directly to the card, on the website and pick-up at payzone outlets.

Or you can buy the full range of zone tickets from the driver on the bus.

Hi Vic the question was could they be purchased with credit already on the card via the App or onboard the bus.

They cannot be bought on the app with credit on the card but they can be bought on the bus this way :) Thankfully after a 6 week wait for wages they could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

L1011 wrote: »
    Found out that if you have a Taxsaver Leap card and change employers, they are unable to put a ticket under a different employers ID on the same card. Requiring a new personalised card to be issued. Its the same ticket type and all.

That's a striking level of incompetence there.

Same if your employer changes the 3rd party agent they use for annual passes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement