Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

The Millers probably demanded a pay rise now thet theyre parents......:p

Sweet devine holy st.mary...WTF are those two twats on in the morning....ken hell...:rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Infoanon wrote: »
    Sinead Ni Mhordha announced on air last night that her final show on Nova was this Thursday (Sept 15th) due to cutbacks at the station.....

I belatedly remembered on Thursday night and heard her play the last few rock ballads and then say her goodbyes - talking about new adventures and having nothing to go to at the moment. She said she had been with Nova for nearly two years.

This is sad for her, of course, and bewildering for me. How was it decided that she should go? Will Jack Hyland take over permanently and, if so, how did the Nova bosses decide to keep him over Sinead? In an earlier post, I wondered had they got rid of him shortly after Alice Cooper's program was initially on Friday nights. He, subsequently, stood in for Sinead as recently as last week. Maybe someone could enlighten me about this latest development.

I belatedly remembered on Thursday night and heard her play the last few rock ballads and then say her goodbyes - talking about new adventures and having nothing to go to at the moment. She said she had been with Nova for nearly two years.

This is sad for her, of course, and bewildering for me. How was it decided that she should go? Will Jack Hyland take over permanently and, if so, how did the Nova bosses decide to keep him over Sinead? In an earlier post, I wondered had they got rid of him shortly after Alice Cooper's program was initially on Friday nights. He, subsequently, stood in for Sinead as recently as last week. Maybe someone could enlighten me about this latest development.

Nobody knows what goes on in Brannigans head...i said it before ,its like he's doing everything in his power to destroy the station...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Anyone know what was/is wrong with the App? Couldn't get main Nova feed all Monday - could get 60s, 70s, The Rock :( and Joe Duffy Drives. Posted on main FB page and sent a PM but no reply.

And before someone asks why I don't just listen to it on the radio......I'm in Donegal :P I'd need some antenna to get it up here. Been stuck to either 70s stream or else RTE Gold.

On a side note, since I've had to listen to the secondary streams all day I've noticed that the sound quality is far better than on the main stream. Is there some reason for this?

Edit - it's been tried on 2 different phones. One has the most recent update and the other (used for Nova only, connected to speakers and power) is the most recent that would install on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

Nobody knows what goes on in Brannigans head...i said it before ,its like he's doing everything in his power to destroy the station...

Max , let's be fair here for once. Mr Branigan and other shareholders are in a business and businesses make commercial decisions. As Nova's audience is growing, albeit slowly , they must be doing something right. That said a station like Nova cost millions to set up and if Sinéad is right, then it's a cost cutting exercise - pure and simple. Like any other private business it really doesn't have to defend commercial decisions to anyone here .

You don't like Kevin Branigan - we get it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

FanadMan wrote: »
    Anyone know what was/is wrong with the App? Couldn't get main Nova feed all Monday - could get 60s, 70s, The Rock :( and Joe Duffy Drives. Posted on main FB page and sent a PM but no reply.

And before someone asks why I don't just listen to it on the radio......I'm in Donegal :P I'd need some antenna to get it up here. Been stuck to either 70s stream or else RTE Gold.

On a side note, since I've had to listen to the secondary streams all day I've noticed that the sound quality is far better than on the main stream. Is there some reason for this?

Edit - it's been tried on 2 different phones. One has the most recent update and the other (used for Nova only, connected to speakers and power) is the most recent that would install on the phone.

All of the Castleforbes House radio stations - Nova, 4FM and Sunshine - streams seem to have been down yesterday. Back up today.

You don't like Kevin Branigan - we get it !

Eau contraire ..i would never disrespect someone i never met..i dont like the way he runs the station...you surely cant say you're happy with the repetitiveness of the music...:confused:.....and i know a lot of the listeners are stuck in a time-warp...:p....you think people in advertising dont read these forums..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Eric Lalor and Conor Irwin are a welcome relief on the morning show - it's a lot snappier

It looks like Jack Hyland is the replacement for Sinead Ni Mhordha on weeknights (Monday to Thursday). I'm happy for him - he deserves a break after all those years with Phantom and then losing out at the rebrand stage (TXFM).

But at the same time I am sorry for Sinead Ni Mhordha. I'm trying to make sense of the programming changes in light of the cost cutting referred to.

Jack had lost his regular gig on Fridays when Alice Cooper's program arrived - now filled by Tim Kelly with Friday Night 80s. If it is about cost cutting, why did the powers that be not put Jack back on Fridays after Alice Cooper's program was moved, instead of Tim Kelly. His original program on Nova was Fridays 80s and 90s! Drop Sinead's entertainment slot on Saturday by all means, or Alice Cooper?? And then leave Sinead on weeknights.

Get rid of Sinead Ni Mhordha for cost cutting reasons and bring in Tim Kelly and keep Alice Cooper's program? It dosen't make sense to me really - sorry! In fact, why was Jack Hyland not dropped instead if they were determined to get Tim Kelly as Jack did not have a regular program after Alice - don't get me wrong: I'm glad they didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Drop Sinead's entertainment slot on Saturday by all means, or Alice Cooper?? And then leave Sinead on weeknights.

Thought Alice Coopers show was sponsored by Bruxelles or someone. It's cheaper having someone else pay for part of a show than having to pay DJ etc

• Advertisement

It looks like Jack Hyland is the replacement for Sinead Ni Mhordha on weeknights (Monday to Thursday). (TXFM).

But at the same time I am sorry for Sinead Ni Mhordha. I'm trying to make sense of the programming changes in light of the cost cutting referred to.

Get rid of Sinead Ni Mhordha for cost cutting reasons and bring in Tim Kelly and keep Alice Cooper's program? It dosen't make sense to me really !

Am i the only one seeing this old excuse.....;)...i like Sinead, clearly someone doesnt....:eek:

NOVA’s CEO & Programme Director, Kevin Branigan, said: “I’m really pleased to welcome Sinead to the team. She’s brimming with energy, very passionate about the music we play and brings a fresh approach to NOVA Nights, which will help us grow our audience in 2015”.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

FanadMan wrote: »
    Thought Alice Coopers show was sponsored by Bruxelles or someone. It's cheaper having someone else pay for part of a show than having to pay DJ etc

Syndicated shows can be quite cheap to begin with also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

if they got rid of the rock report with Roisin (em, em, em) Dywer they could cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

When I tune into Radio Nova, the digital info it broadcasts interferes with the volume control on my radio.
    Radio Nova is the only station this happens on.
    I have one of those bass heavy Creative Radio CD's that I purchased about 8 years ago.

if they got rid of the rock report with Roisin (em, em, em) Dywer they could cut costs.
    They probably have to have shows like that because of the BAI talk quota.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When I tune into Radio Nova, the digital info it broadcasts interferes with the volume control on my radio.
    Radio Nova is the only station this happens on.
    I have one of those bass heavy Creative Radio CD's that I purchased about 8 years ago.

Its unlikely to be the RDS encoder - likely a radio fault. Notify them anyway and they can get it checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

May not be those exact songs, but those bands are the kernel of their playlist, and rarely the more obscure tracks. I used to wonder whether they'd licensed a particular playlist for a set amount of time and were financially or contractually limited to it...

I used to listen to Zenith on Digital until it suddenly vanished.
    That was a darn shame, because it used to go out of the way to pick 70's deep album cuts. A lot of rock, folk, prog and German synth rock.
    Where did it vanish to?

I'd be amazed if any advertisers took any notice of this forum and I don't know why you mention them anyway. They're far more interested in CPT AND JNLRS. If you listened to the station you'd know that there is no shortage of advertising . In fact I hear from a source in the business that they have a full book .

However that's not to say that the station is or isn't profitable, we don't know because it's a private company . Equally their borrowings may be substantial in the first instance .

The regular programme after Alice cooper on Friday was Tony Ainscough not Jack Hyland

I'd be amazed if any advertisers took any notice of this forum and I don't know why you mention them anyway. They're far more interested in CPT AND JNLRS. If you listened to the station you'd know that there is no shortage of advertising . In fact I hear from a source in the business that they have a full book .

However that's not to say that the station is or isn't profitable, we don't know because it's a private company . Equally their borrowings may be substantial in the first instance .

...for legal advice, text my case....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Their accounts are publicly available through the CRO for a small fee.

The regular programme after Alice cooper on Friday was Tony Ainscough not Jack Hyland

I never said Jack Hyland was on after Alice Cooper. He used to have the Friday 7-10pm slot (his very first one on Nova) before Alice Cooper's program was launched on that very slot. Then, Alice Cooper's program was moved to Saturday to make way for Friday Night 80s with Tim Kelly on Jack Hyland's original slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Sinead Ni Mhordha announced on air last night that her final show on Nova was this Thursday (Sept 15th) due to cutbacks at the station.....

Did she really ?

Burning bridges in radio is not a good idea.

I'd say Kevin was rightly pissed off.

guile4582 wrote: »

Guile, I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean

cdeb wrote: »
    Their accounts are publicly available through the CRO for a small fee.

Wouldn't tell you a lot tbh

It would give you an idea of if it's profitable at the moment anyway, and how much their borrowings are.

no shortage of advertising? same adverts over and over mate

that was the jingle from mycase.ie advert which is on constantly

then there's Tommy Laddy "hello there" (soundstore drogheda or something)

great outdoors - flash floods, unnecessary journeys

flowerhill furniture

same 5/6 old ads over and over again. not a great sign of how good the station is doing

no shortage of advertising? same adverts over and over mate

that was the jingle from mycase.ie advert which is on constantly

then there's Tommy Laddy "hello there" (soundstore drogheda or something)

great outdoors - flash floods, unnecessary journeys

flowerhill furniture

same 5/6 old ads over and over again. not a great sign of how good the station is doing

Now that's a different issue . What I said was that their book is believed to be more or less full . That they're retaining advertisers or otherwise is not relevant -what's relevant is that slots are full and theyre receiving income .

Re Cro, my experience is that it's of limited use , particularly for a private company which has every right to keep itself private

Re Cro, my experience is that it's of limited use , particularly for a private company which has every right to keep itself private
    If all you want to know is profit/loss and debt (as per your post), you will find that info in the CRO filings - provided of course that you don't mind your information being a little bit out of date.

So since your post, I went and downloaded Nova's accounts and can see that in 2014, the station lost E522,869, and had long-term bank borrowings (i.e. payable from 2016 on) of E3,000,528, an increase of E445,287 in the year.

There is E1,025,242 of other debt as well, but barring E154,860 of tax, we don't have any details. Though we can presume some of it is bank loans again (as bank loans don't tend to give 12 month payment waivers)

So to return to your original post -
    - we now know that the station wasn't profitable in 2014 anyway, and that it does have what I would consider to be substantial, and growing, borrowings.

It is of course entirely possible that all this is as per the company's business plan and projections.

You could download previous accounts to see if their losses are reducing year-by-year.

• Advertisement

they better hope the Nova noise is solved soon or they be bankrupt :)

their website is atrocious

IMO - they are struggling - that lad who replaced Sinead in the evenings, give me strength!

Advertisement